Okay, what about leggings?

Belease

As a future cruiser on Princess, and a casual dresser most of the time, I've read the discussions about smart casual and jeans with amusement, concern and confusion! I guess the conclusion there is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Anyway, first of all stating categorically that I would never wear leggings for a formal night, I wondered your opinions on black leggings? I have no idea the style in America, but in the UK, black leggings are very common and practically serve the same purpose as skinny jeans - to be dressed up or down as the occasion demands. What I would like to know is, if I was to wear leggings with a short dress or long top in the dining rooms, would I be turned away or offend people? I'm going to the Caribbean and don't think jeans would work anyway, but leggings are so light and easy to pack!

I really don't understand why people are so very confused about how to dress. It's just people, you see every interpretation of fashion as you will in almost any normal day at home both day and evening. Some people know how to dress well, some don't, fashion is very much interpreted differently by people in different age groups.

My 18 year old daughter would not hesitate to wear leggings with a long tunic top or under a mini dress. I would look ridiculous in them. My daughter would not want to be seen in any of my clothes, but she says I look fine in them.

So wear your leggings and don't worry what others will think of them since there will be some tninking they look great, some will do a double take. But those people looking twice and disapproving may be wearing a souvenir T shirt tightly stretched across a big belly or a little nautical outfit you may roll your eyes when looking at it.

The jeans debate has raged on here since the beginning of Cruise Critic, which was 1998 (I think), there has been little resolve except the fact that the majority of mass market lines now allow jeans to be worn. In the dining room, at night.

Relax and enjoy your cruise, and yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

The ONLY time I would cringe seeing leggings is if they are not worn the way they're meant to be worn, i.e. with a short dress or LONG top. The last time they were "in", some took them to a horrendous, eye searing look by wearing them in place of properly fitted bottoms with a short to the waist top.:eek:

I think they are fine as long as you wear them properly. Meaning under a dress or with a long top. Youwould need to dress them up as much as possbile. I also think buying the right pair of leggings is the key.

I have only seen one person who was able to pull off the legging look with a shorter shirt (the shirt hit just below her behind). She had on a great pair of heels and looked fabulous. VERY few people would be able to pull that off, including myself.

On my last 2 cruises, after dinner, a couple of times I changed to capri length black leggings with a halter tunic top or a spaghetti strap tunic top and flat silver sandals. I think it looks nice and fashionable, not to mention comfort. I feel very confident in the fact that if I had chosen to wear them in the dining room on the more casual nights, I certainly could have, and may do so in the future. It's a cute, casual outfit.

my last 2 cruises i wore leggings with long tunic/short dress type...i saw others wearing this style also.

i bought a gauze type mid length dress in costa maya to wear that night but discovered that it came up to far on the sides for my taste so i just put my capri leggings under it and it really turned out to be a CUTE outfit...will be going with me the next cruise...that is if it doesnt fall apart in the wash......i still am unpacking from my cruise last week.

GO 4 the leggins if you feel comfortable and look good in them...i see nothing wrong with them at all!

If you would wear it to a nice restaurant at home, you can wear it on the ship...although, if it's a warm-weather cruise, leggings, like jeans, aren't really "summerwear"!

I disagree. I have jeans that are a lighter weight denim that I bought specifically to wear in the summer.

I personally think leggings are for working out, and even then I would not wear them. BUT, I see people in leggings all day everyday and I never have a negative thought about what they are wearing. "To each his own," as the old saying goes. I'll wear my skinny denim, you wear your leggings and we'll all have a fabulous time!

Archived