Nervous about Safety - particularly railings

lydka

Hi Everyone,

We leave shortly for a cruise with our 15 month old twins and I have one particular question. In the past, I haven't paid attention to the railings but I am very interested in them now. Are they toddler proof? I am paranoid that something will happen and one of the babies will get away from me and climb over/under/through the railings. Also, does anyone know what the railings are like for a balcony on the Jewel? Thanks for all your help.

There is NO WAY a 15 month old will "fall" off the ship---you'll have to throw them off. They can't climb the railings in the short time before you could possibly get to them...heck--they won't be able to reach the top to pull themselves up.

Stop being paranoid....have your kids ever climbed over your deck railing? Or, a railing anywhere else?

They'll be fine...you'll be fine...it's all good.

You should not have anything to be worried about. Our daughter was 2 at the time and she couldn't get any where near the top of the railing and there isn't enough room to squeeze out on the bottom either. They probably won't even be able to open the door to get to the balcony and the balcony railings are quite high for a toddler.

I did a quick search for you. The balconies on Jewel are glass - you have no worries. Of course, you'll use common sense. But we have all been there. We have all had that fear that they'll "fall off". But I just wanted to assure you. So I figured a picture would help, the balcony railing is at least 48" high....

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2364179170057127324YkHawl

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2096894460083309733zpAPPs

I did a quick search for you. The balconies on Jewel are glass - you have no worries. Of course, you'll use common sense. But we have all been there. We have all had that fear that they'll "fall off". But I just wanted to assure you. So I figured a picture would help, the balcony railing is at least 48" high....

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2364179170057127324YkHawl

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2096894460083309733zpAPPs

Thank you very much. I guess I am very worried about it since my son is a climber but those pictures eased my mind. I really appreciate it.

We kept the furniture turned over unless we were sitting on it on our deck,, as I could see railings were safe,but knew my 22 month old could climb chairs etc. As it was ,, door is heavy to open,, but we played it safe.

pg has it right - just move that furniture. You know how quick they are at this age. :) So just move the furniture away from the railings. And of course, never leave any doors propped open and never leave the kids on the balcony even for a second.

I remember when my oldest was 2, I thought she would go running up to the top deck and just fall off. And I always think back to that time when I answer these questions because now I know how impossible that is - the "top deck" wall of the NCL ship we were on at the time literally towerered over my head. It was all glass and and very high. But in my mind I pictured my toddler running up there alone and just jumping over. :eek: So I know how you feel. ;)

What a great age to have babies on a ship! You are going to have some great formal pictures!!!!! Come back and share. :D

Had a friend who had twins. She said they seemed to communicate with their own language or telepathy (before they had language skills anyone else could comprehend), and if one started to climb, for instance, the other one was right there to assist to pull down drapes or whatever mischief the first was up to. Do yours work in concert like this?

Please don't let them wander! Simple as that. Hold their hands (one parent for one kid?). I'm sure you do this in a shopping mall so you don't lose track of them. Just be even more careful on a ship because there are so many people in a small space.

Hope the kids program on your ship takes children of the age your children will be at cruise time. That will relieve you of some of the concern for those hours, allowing you to relax. But when you have them, keep them close.

Out of morbid fascination, sometimes I read through a year's worth of "incidents" reported on cruisejunkie.com. :D I'm amazed at how often adults jump or fall off ships, but I have never seen any mention of a child falling off.

Have a great time! We took our older daughter on an NCL Mexican Riviera cruise when she was 15 months old, and we all enjoyed it. (We didn't try that with our second one though...she was a whole different kind of kid! ;))

Out of morbid fascination, sometimes I read through a year's worth of "incidents" reported on cruisejunkie.com. :D I'm amazed at how often adults jump or fall off ships, but I have never seen any mention of a child falling off.

Have a great time! We took our older daughter on an NCL Mexican Riviera cruise when she was 15 months old, and we all enjoyed it. (We didn't try that with our second one though...she was a whole different kind of kid! ;))

True enough,, simply because its adults who either get drunk and play on railings, or are depressed and commit suicide.

The railings are safe for normal people behaving normally.

but I have never seen any mention of a child falling off.

Exactly - I used to answer this question with a "Just don't let the child get drunk and they'll be ok" but I have toned down my responses considerably...lol. :D:p

Just curious. Is there a parent out there that didn't have the exact same concern? I know we did!!

Nope. We have ALL been there.

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious. Is there a parent out there that didn't have the exact same concern? I know we did!!

We had the same concern and we sail on 5/3 with our 6 and 3 yr old daughters...they are little "monkeys" and love to climb, so we decided it was best to not get a balcony and just go the ocean view room route. I'm sure their little noses will be plastered to our window the entire trip and we don't have to watch every move they make like we would have had to do if we had the balcony....don't need any little ones slipping or trying to look over the balcony and go overboard :eek:

Jolene

You wouldn't believe the scenarios that flashed through my mind when DH and I decided to book a cruise with my daughter! :eek: It's terrifying to even contemplate! Our daughter will be 21 months when we cruise in December and I am definitely freaking out, but I know it will be fine. It will be fine. It will be fine.... :eek:

The responses were great! Excellent question!

Archived