How are the Ships Holding Up?

mike14c

Hi:

I've been on Windstar four times over the past 15 years or so, and always had the best experience. Last time was about 4 years ago on the Athens-Istanbul interary.

Thinking of booking again for this summer, but am wondering -- these ships are getting pretty old. I know the did a big refrubishment in '07 (was it?), but still, I fear they must be showing their age somewhat. Douglas Ward has them down to 3 + stars.

So, how do they look/feel? Is the service and on baord product still as good as ever? Do they still do the fun deck barbeques, etc?

Would love to go on Windstar again, but just a little worried.

Thanks for any comments!!

Mike

We were on the Wind Spirit last month and honestly it was a little worn around the edges i.e. carpet in our room needing replacing, a few rusts spots on the hull. But nothing horrible and the over all look and feel was was fine. The captain mentioned she was going into dry dock this Spring - so expect she'll be in tip top shop after that.

And, yes they still do the BBQ on deck. On our cruise it was the night we were anchored at Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda. We went to the resort for dinner but everyone raved about the food which included lobster. The next day they set up a BBQ on a private beach (just a few yards away from the ship) and again the food was really good (but sadly no lobster!).

We were on the Wind Surf in December (first Windstar cruise) and wondered about the condition given the age. Sure there was a minor blemish here and there (I see them on much newer vessels), but the overall condition and maintenance were excellent. The A/C kept it as cold as you wanted, the bathroom was terrific, and all other systems seemed to function well.

We were on the Wind Spirit last month and honestly it was a little worn around the edges i.e. carpet in our room needing replacing, a few rusts spots on the hull. But nothing horrible and the over all look and feel was was fine. The captain mentioned she was going into dry dock this Spring - so expect she'll be in tip top shop after that.

And, yes they still do the BBQ on deck. On our cruise it was the night we were anchored at Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda. We went to the resort for dinner but everyone raved about the food which included lobster. The next day they set up a BBQ on a private beach (just a few yards away from the ship) and again the food was really good (but sadly no lobster!).

We were on Windstar in the fall and they were loading new carpeting with the plan being to replace it on the transatlantic crossing (no passengers on that sailing per one of the stewards). They seem to be doing a good job of maintenance.

I was just alittle disappointed in some of the food - a couple odd combos on the menu which seemed to me akin to trying to clean out the refrigerator! However, its nice to see the recent announcement of menu updating on the Med cruises.

That"s all great to hear, and than you all for your responses. I think we'll book for this summer. We are not really frequent cruisers, but have such find memories of windstar experiences that I'm sure we'll have a great time on one of those lively little ships-- long may they sail!

Archived