Do NOT try to smuggle or check wine in Miami

connera3

Is the crack down on alcohol resulting in anybody having issues with bringing soda onboard? The allowed qty for that hasn't ever been specifically defined.

I am curious about this as well. Dh always brings a 12 pack of Diet Mtn. Dew onboard - it's his morning "coffee.":p

My concern is that with the crackdowns some screeners will get a little over-zealous or misinterpret and discard things that are allowed. I don't drink enough to bother smuggling booze and would just as soon not hassle with the soda if they sold it onboard.

The fact that they recognized liquor in a soda bottle also makes me wonder if they are going to be nosing into things like my contact lense solution or sunscreen that would be in my checked luggage due to the airline restrictions on liquids. This sounds bizarre but you need to keep the nozzle on contact solution clean and wouldn't want anyone other than me opening that bottle with possibly dirty hands. It was about two or three weeks ago there was actually a thread here with someone bragging about smuggling booze in contact solution bottles. Just seems like they are going a little overboard with this stuff. Sieze the obvious liquor or rum runners and give people the benefit of the doubt on the rest - I shouldn't be the one treated as a criminal.

Thanks for posting op. I am interested to hear about personal experiences in Miami since the changes as of Jan 30th. Sorry you didn't know about the change with wine needing to be carried on board.

Not because yours specifically was opened and checked, but curious if checked luggage appeared to be arriving at cabins in about the same time frame as previous or if this appears to be slowing down arrival of luggage?

If nothing else, this board is going to be interesting reading for the coming months:eek::D

The bags were not locked. They were searched without my knowledge.

I have no idea what their problem was with my water bottle. I had it in the side sleeve of my back pack with the lid sealed and she said you need to drink that our dump it and rather than back up the line or cause a scene for $1 water bottle I dumped it. I tried to explain this in my battle over my wine but they didn't care.[/quote]

Your statement doesn't make sense about the wine being taken away from your luggage and you having to pour out the water bottle in Miami while boarding.

How did you already know about your wine being taken away?? I am confused!:confused:

I am curious about this as well. Dh always brings a 12 pack of Diet Mtn. Dew onboard - it's his morning "coffee.":p

Hmm...maybe your DH and I were separated at birth! :D

Dt. Mountain Dew in the morning sure hits the spot. That's what I bring onboard and I like it when I get up in the morning so that is why I was asking.

My concern is that with the crackdowns some screeners will get a little over-zealous or misinterpret and discard things that are allowed. I don't drink enough to bother smuggling booze and would just as soon not hassle with the soda if they sold it onboard.

The fact that they recognized liquor in a soda bottle also makes me wonder if they are going to be nosing into things like my contact lense solution or sunscreen that would be in my checked luggage due to the airline restrictions on liquids. This sounds bizarre but you need to keep the nozzle on contact solution clean and wouldn't want anyone other than me opening that bottle with possibly dirty hands. It was about two or three weeks ago there was actually a thread here with someone bragging about smuggling booze in contact solution bottles. Just seems like they are going a little overboard with this stuff. Sieze the obvious liquor or rum runners and give people the benefit of the doubt on the rest - I shouldn't be the one treated as a criminal.

Just a thought for your contact solution. Bring a fresh bottle that still has the plastic seal around the lid, that way you can be sure it has not been opened.

You have to remember that lots of people have contact solution, shampoo, conditioner, and many other liquids that they bring on the ship. Security can tell whether they need to look further than the X-Ray. Sue some liquor will slip by but they will get most of it and that is the goal.

Of course Carnival could raise everyone's daily rate by $50 - $75 and let you bring all the liquor you want on board.

Will be interesting to know what happens with the alcohol profits onboard- if people buy more or boycott it. don't know if those figures will be publicly available but I'm sure that Carnival will be watching it very carefully. If they don't rise a fair amount they may drop the battle. It will be a balance between the profits from alcohol and the ill will which is sure to develop.

The rum was thrown out as it should have been.

The policy change was regarding wine and if it needed to be carried on. Our e-docs printed before 1/30 had no indication they it needed to be carried on. This change was after we left and we were never notified of the change. The wine was returned on the last day. My issue is that they should have notified us that they wine needed to be carried on.

I only mention the rum because I know that I felt confident based on my past experiences and those of others on this board that only one small bottle of rum would be no problem and that is no longer the case.

I did not realize I would catch such a hard time for trying to help some folks avoid the same mistakes.

I appreciate it the info also. Thanks for taking the time to post. I will be interested to hear from people sailing out of Galveston what has been happening there since the new rules were instituted.

Will be interesting to know what happens with the alcohol profits onboard- if people buy more or boycott it. don't know if those figures will be publicly available but I'm sure that Carnival will be watching it very carefully. If they don't rise a fair amount they may drop the battle. It will be a balance between the profits from alcohol and the ill will which is sure to develop.

Why would you think that ill will would develop? Carnival is simply coming in line with all the other mass market cruise lines.

People are not going to boycott drinking, and as long as liquor revenues don't go down Carnival wins.

It is going to be fun on the boards for a while.

The rum was thrown out as it should have been.

The policy change was regarding wine and if it needed to be carried on. Our e-docs printed before 1/30 had no indication they it needed to be carried on. This change was after we left and we were never notified of the change. The wine was returned on the last day. My issue is that they should have notified us that they wine needed to be carried on.

I only mention the rum because I know that I felt confident based on my past experiences and those of others on this board that only one small bottle of rum would be no problem and that is no longer the case.

I did not realize I would catch such a hard time for trying to help some folks avoid the same mistakes.

Thanks for the info. I also appreciate it as I can pass it on to my friends.

Like I said before on here. "No good deed goes unpunished."

Bill

OP... it is clearly stated on CCL's web page regarding alcohol AND wine.....

Can I bring liquor on board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be retained at the gangway, stored on board and held by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Gift Shops On Board

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

I'm more interested in seeing if this triggers a better promotion of the Bon Voyage Department's services, maybe even a decrease in the list price of their bottles.

My money would be on Carnival AXING the Bon Voyage Department's liquor services, except for wine, before lowering prices.

As an alternative, how about RAISING prices since presumably the demand for the service is about to increase?

My money would be on Carnival AXING the Bon Voyage Department's liquor services, except for wine, before lowering prices.

As an alternative, how about RAISING prices since presumably the demand for the service is about to increase?

Rumor has it they already raised the price of beer quite a bit:mad:

If anything, I see the Bon Voyage Dept. RAISING the prices and not eliminating it at all. In the end they will win by doing so... either you try to smuggle and get caught and the end result being PROBABLY purchasing more onboard alcoholic drinks.... or you purchase in advance from Bon Voyage' Dept. at a higher price..... or Don't purchase from Bon Voyage and purchase drinks onboard.... CCL wins no matter how you look at it if they bear down on the smuggling.

I think this post might be a little fishy. If you look at all the OP's posts the story changes. I don't see a lot of history here on cruise critic with the op, and with the 1000's of people cruising in & out of miami we only have one report? :confused: Anyone else agree this stinks?

The OP's rum probably got caught as a side effect. When they went to search for the wine bottles, they probably saw a coke bottle with clear liquid in it and figured it out. My guess if they had a 6 pack of coke bottles and that was all that showed on x-ray, they wouldn't have opened the bag - but one lone bottle is kinda suspicious.

Thanks connera3. I believe you, and appreciate the info.

The wine having to be in your carry-on is a bit of a pain for those of us flying in. When you fly, the liquids have to be in your checked baggage. But then you have to take them out of your big bag and put them in you carry-on to board the ship. Not a deal breaker, but mildly annoying. Not so bad if you fly in the day before and will end up opening your suitcase in the hotel before you board anyway though.

Well, here's the thing ... most people who smuggle profess do to so for convenience. Bon Voyage can offer that same convenience, and a drop in price would mean an increase in volume. They have to walk the line of pricing themselves out of the smuggler's comfort zone and making the service profitable. A jump in price isn't going to do that, it's only going to further anger the smugglers.

Why would you think that ill will would develop? Carnival is simply coming in line with all the other mass market cruise lines.

People are not going to boycott drinking, and as long as liquor revenues don't go down Carnival wins.

It is going to be fun on the boards for a while.

fyi, even though DCL is ridiculously expensive (unless u book really early & have a past guest discount) they still allow u to bring aboard all the booze u want. I have a lovely fold-up cooler with wheels (small enough to pack in checked luggage or carryon) Guess i won't bring it this trip on CCL;)

Wonder if mouthwash bottles will still past muster?

Well, here's the thing ... most people who smuggle profess do to so for convenience. Bon Voyage can offer that same convenience, and a drop in price would mean an increase in volume. They have to walk the line of pricing themselves out of the smuggler's comfort zone and making the service profitable. A jump in price isn't going to do that, it's only going to further anger the smugglers.

I see your point and I'm sure the bean counters are running the numbers. I guess we will find out eventually! Part of the value of a Carnival cruise was the easy ability to smuggle large amounts and that option had a dollar value to it. How much, I don't know.

Archived