Need help - 3 night Bahamas on Majesty

kitty1

Need help... We just booked a 3 night cruise on the Majesty to get away from the cold for a long weekend. We've only been on 7 night cruises on the Radiance class ships. We were on the Serenade in Nov. Don't expect the Majesty to live up to the Serenade.... Just wanted a quick short getaway.

What's there to do on CocoCay and Nassau? We like to snorkel and soak up the sun on the beach. What do you suggest?

What's the dress code for a 3 night cruise? Is there a formal night? Do they have the soda card for 3 nights? Do they have the vouchers for tipping like they do on the longer cruises?

Anyone know how the shows are on the Majesty?

We were on Majesty in November. It was alright. Coco Cay is a private island: beach, bars, water sports. Our day at Coco Cay was washed out, though we walked around in the rain for a while. It must be a great place to be in the bright shining hot sun.

Unfortunately, Majesty visits Nassau on Sunday on the 3-nighter, so the museums are mostly closed. So there's shopping (though many stores close by 1pm), the beaches (including Atlantis, though that's extra, of course), and we also considered going to the zoo.

The is a formal night. Almost all of the men were wearing dark suits and ties. We didn't see any tuxes (but that was early seating).

We did pre-pay our tips, and got vouchers to give out.

We were on the 1/7 sailing. We had late seating and saw some tuxes and suits for the men, dresses and gowns and suits for the ladies. There were also some that did not dress and came to the dining room anyway, but they were in the minority. BTW,formal night is the 2nd night. The other 2 nights are casual.

We loved our day in CocoCay. It was a little chilly for swimming and we had a couple of brief showers, but it turned out to be a lovely day to lay on a lounger and drink CocoLocos--the drink of the island.

In Nassau, we did shopping in the morning and went to Atlantis in the afternoon. We were back on the ship by about 3:30. I agree, there doesn't seem to be much to do on Sunday in Nassau, but Atlantis was really impressive to visit.

The soda card is available on this cruise. We enjoyed our quick break from the cold weather and wish we could go back again now that we are getting all this arctic air! Enjoy.

Anyone know how the shows are on the Majesty?

We were on the 4 night in July 2004 and the 3 night in January 2001. We will be on the 3 night again in a week or so (Jan 28 05).

We thought the shows were one of the best features of the cruise. I have seen a magician, an outstanding comedian, a comic/impressionist, a comic/gaucho (did rope tricks) and the Royal Carribean singers and dancers. There is also the "Not so Newlywed game" which is a riot and not to be missed. The singing/dancing is not uniform (there are a couple good voices) and on the hoky side but I do enjoy the nightclub/showroom atmosphere. Don't look for Jerry Seinfeld or Barbra Streisand but you might see some up-and-coming talent that turns up on Leno a couple months later.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back. The first night show was changed because seas were too rough for the song/dance review. Instead the next nights headliner was moved up. He was a comic with Leno/Letterman background. Very Funny! Can't remember the name but I think he was disembarking with us. Saturday night was "the Beat Goes on" with The RC Singers and Dancers. Loud and Lame - I saw it in July and passed this time. The Love and Marriage Game was also presented. I think it's a hoot to watch embarassed couples argue over her bra size or which member of her family he can't stand. After watching 3 shows, I'm pretty sure Mrs BamaVol and I could ace this one next cruise. Sunday night was Alturo Shelton, a singer/impressionist. He is a decent singer and covers Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Ed Sullivan, Elvis, Smoky Robinson, Sly Stallone & others. The highlight is when he picks helpers from the audience. For his Temptations, he'll always pick 3 brothers and 1 goofy white guy. Final show was a late night adult comedy show. The guy was funny. He could juggle , play blues harmonica and made me laugh. Best heckler put down I've heard in a while: Sir, you know alcohol kills brain cells? (pause) Right now, alcohol is floating around in your head trying to find something to do. This act was also disembarking with us, so at least half of the entertainment will be fresh this week.

BamaVol,

We're going on the 3 night in 2 weeks.... Have been on the Radiance class ships, but not the older ships. Just looking for a quick getaway from the cold NE weather.

What were the themes for dinner? Is there a formal night? Were there safes in the rooms (Just curious because some of the older ships don't have safes in the rooms).

BamaVol,

We're going on the 3 night in 2 weeks.... Have been on the Radiance class ships, but not the older ships. Just looking for a quick getaway from the cold NE weather.

What were the themes for dinner? Is there a formal night? Were there safes in the rooms (Just curious because some of the older ships don't have safes in the rooms).

kitty1,

Dinner themes were Italian, International & I don't know what. Italian entrees included a pasta w/sausage, stuffed eggplant (exquisite), roast lamb, chicken marsala; antipasto & minestrone appetizers; tiramisu, hot chocolate cake for dessert. International entrees included duck a l'orange, beef tenderloin, a pasta dish, salmon entrees; shrimp cocktail & escargots appetizers (I ordered both), double strawberry cheesecake. Final night included sweet and sour mahi-mahi, NY strip steak, roast turkey, pasta with a creamy clam sauce; baked alaska for dessert. There were one or two salads available each night. There are usually 5-6 entrees with another 3-4 alternates (often from the prior nights menu), 3-4 desserts with delicious (I'm told) low calorie options, ice cream and sherbet available. Sorry, I don't remember more. Second night is formal night. FIL and I wore dark suits, Mrs BamaVol was gorgeous in a LBD, MIL in a sparkly pantsuit. The headwaiter, at dinner the first night, was encouraging all to come whether they had appropriate clothes or not. I saw one guy in jacket and tie with blue jeans. Headwaiter asked the first night if there were any celebrations. Formal night, after one dessert, a second candlelit dessert was served (our 29th anniversary and FIL 75th BD) and we were serenaded with "happy birthday" and "happy 'versary". I could go on about the dining room. Guess what my favorite part of a cruise is? :D

Our cabin on deck 9 (Cat SO) had a safe, as well as a refrigerator. That was true back in July when we took our boys, also. 4 years ago, we were on deck 5 and I don't recall whether there was a safe or refrigerator in that cabin.

Guest composition: about 2400 guests (don't know if it was sold out but no upgrades were available). about 2100 americans with 35+ other countries represented. about 240 C&A members (return RCI guests). The usual range of ages: about 100 school age kids; not many teens, a few 20's, a fair number of 30's, mostly 40's-60's, not too many over 65's.

Any other questions, please ask quickly before it all fades into a warm but vague memory.

I believe OV and higher categories have safes. I had an inside my first time and there was not a safe. Last time, we had an OV on deck 8 and it did have a safe.

I think BarmaVol covered most of the menu items. I can add the soups were also wonderful and the Caesar salad was very good. I don't recommend the orange souffle--wasn't cooked all the way through. That was the only item in the dining room that was really disappointing.

I wasn't very impressed with the lunch buffet on the lido deck, but if you wait and eat after 3:00, when they put out the "snack" buffet, the selections are better. One day they had tacos with a really well made guacomole.

My favorite part of the cruise was laying on a lounge chair on CocoCay, drinking a couple of cold CocoLocos. Soak up that sun and warmth and try to keep it with you for the rest of this NE winter! Have a wonderful time.

I can't wait:) We leave in two weeks and I cannot wait to get out of the Michigan cold and into the warm sun! Only going for 3 days but 3 days away from work is WONDERFUL...and sunshine on top of it...even better! Anyone else have any "words of wisdom" about the Majesty? This is our first cruise and first time away from our 11 yr. old! Can you tell I am excited????:D

I can add the soups were also wonderful and the Caesar salad was very good. I don't recommend the orange souffle--wasn't cooked all the way through. That was the only item in the dining room that was really disappointing.

I wasn't very impressed with the lunch buffet on the lido deck, but if you wait and eat after 3:00, when they put out the "snack" buffet, the selections are better. One day they had tacos with a really well made guacomole.

I never saw the souffle. Maybe they dropped it. I agree that the caesar is a winner. I picked it off the alternative menu and was very pleased. Also forgot how much I enjoyed the Scallop Risotto appetizer Italian night. Hint on the Shrimp Cocktail - there are only 4 shrimp on it, so order 2. I continue to be disappointed with Windjammer lunches. The variety is good, and I'm happy to see the addition of a carving station: Roast Beef one day, Roast Pork the next, but it's still glorified mass produced cafeteria food. Watch out for the ziti on the Windjammer lunch buffet - it was loaded with hot pepper! We took breakfast in the Dining Room one morning because my FIL wanted Eggs Benedict. One of the eggs was practically hard boiled. My omelet was excellent but Mrs BamaVol's French Toast was powdered with sugar crystals! We went back to the Windjammer after that experience. BTW, I think the ships bakery is outstanding: from breakfast pastries and donuts to dinner rolls and desserts, it is all fresh and tasty. I especially like the sub sandwiches that appear each night at the Mast bar after 9; turkey or ham & cheese on an excellent crusty roll. I prefer them to the pizza before I head to bed - less chance of heartburn.

We were on the Majesty last week. I agree the Scallop Risotto was great - probably the best dish we had all week. I thought the dining room food was good - not great. Not very inventive, but they do pretty well with simple food cooking for so many. The fruit soups were really popular with our group.

I thought the Windjammer was no better than Hometown Buffet. I was disappointed in the way it was run. They always seemed to be out of cups, glasses, napkins, silverware, etc. It was completely understaffed. The carving station was nice, but the lines were always really long. We ate breakfast in the dining room one morning and thought the food was better than in the Windjammer.

I think that souffle was called a grande marnier (sp?) souffle. I had similar on a Carnival cruise and it was very good. I agree, the scallop risotto was excellent. I thought the dining room food was very good, especially when you consider how many people they are feeding about 10 times each day! I think I preferred the dining room over the windjammer for breakfast. We never made it to the dining room for lunch and we always ate in the dining room for dinner.

Now I'm just conting down the days until we are back on the Majesty. May seems a long way away now!

Have fun on your next cruise, everyone.

Myohmy,

WHen are you going? We're going on the Feb 18th?

We're looking for a quick getaway from the cold. Of course now that we booked it it's been almost 50 here and will be like that for the next week. Figures. We've gone from 5-10 degrees back to 50. But we'll still take a quick trip to get away because the snows not gone yet.

Archived