Ziplining - how much of a hike?

flahagan

For any of you who have done this on St. Lucia, is there much of a hike to and from the first/last platform? I've read where some have strenous 30-minute hikes back up after the last platform - not sure I'd like this at all!

Also, if one in your party doesn't want to do the zipline but wants to go along for the scenery, where do they wait? I've been reading about Frank's tours for this specifically.

Thanks for any info.

We did the zipline this January. There are one or two steep climbs, but they took us from about 20 seconds to maybe 2 minutes (max) to do. We are fit, but in our 50's and anyone who can walk up a street at home, can do this no trouble. There are stairs for some zips and for some you take off from the same platform from where you land. Highly recommend this!:) People not doing the zipline, wait at the start, which is also where it ends up. Quite a pleasant place to be while waiting. We used Serenity and found them to be wonderful.

Thanks for your reply. Did you feel it was safe? I've heard some horror stories about people (mostly teen boys, unfortunately) who have lost fingers doing this. I assume they must have placed their hands in the wrong position, but still it's an awful thought!

We felt very safe. They had two cables for every zip so if one were to fail, there was the other. They hook you up separately to each cable and there is a third clip/hook-up too. You are not allowed to touch anything -they do it all. They are very professional and communicate with each other (one guide in front and one last so they don't send the next person 'til the one at the front radios that they have unclipped you etc. You have gloves, helmet and are harnessed in. I LOVED it and would say to anyone to give it a go!:)

We are not in good shape and late 50's but would like to try how many station is this zipline and are you in the rainforest. Do you have to walk over swinging bridges

Angel - I did ziplining in Aug 2009 and if memory serves, there were a few swinging/rops bridges that need to be crossed, in addition to the walking trails (the last few platforms are higher up and I guess you can't reach them by trail!). I remember approximately 8 platforms, and it was in a rainforest. Hope this helps!

There are 11 stations on the zipline and there are one or two swing bridges. Most of the zips are fairly easy to connect to but there are a few steep climbs and some stairs. If you can walk up a flight of stairs in a multi story building then you should be okay but if you can't manage stairs and have to take the lift then part of it will be very hard for you.

Yep, we took a camera and a video too. On the first zip, we just got used to zipping.

We were the only ones on our zip tour (early due to private tour) so after the first zip, the guides took the cameras and photographed and videod my DH and me as we came in.

I guess that even with several others on your tour, you could take turns photographing each other -i.e. whoever goes first, has the camera and photos the other as they come in. But, take your camera for sure.:)

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Zipline in St. Lucia with Serenity tours in 2 weeks ago. It was GREAT and we are in our 50s. There are 2 zipline locations to choose from. We took the zipline that is at the top of the rain forest gondola. It is 11 ziplines that run through the rain forest with about a 5 minute walk to the first station and a 15 minute walk back from the last station. The walk back is a good path but does have stairs up for a way.

Definitely one of the bucket list ticks.

Serenity tours 1 866 766 0794

Archived