Arriving Flights

salmonbuster

We are leaving on the Jewel March 28th. As far as flights go, any recommendations as if we should arrive the day before or the morning of the cruise departure. Has anyone who has cruised before had any delays or missed their boat because of flight cancellation, etc.....

Most posters on this board will tell you to fly in the day before, so even if you encounter a problem, you will have ample time to make other arrangements...

I have only flown in the day before on one of my cruises.. I usually fly in the same day as the cruise and book the flight for very early in the morning - only once did I encounter a problem where my plane was delayed by one hour - I was flying early enough that it did not matter. Of course I imagine I have just been lucky. I guess alot would depend on where you are flying from to get to Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

Slotaddict, what do you do in Miami while waiting for boarding? I assume by "very early in the morning" you mean arrivals well before noon. We're arriving in Miami airport 8:45 am and have been getting ideas in another topic for what to do until we board, and where to wait. what have you done?

Based on your info I assume you're flying from the West coast. While I'm sure you can find a flight that will get you there by 2 or so, any minor delay anywhere would probably mean missing the boat.

I fly from Denver and flying same day is cutting it too close for my comfort level, so we leave a day prior.

We are flying Southwest from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale. The flight gets in at 11:30am on the day of departure (March 29th) and ship departs at 5:00pm (NCL Sky)

It sounds like as long as we are not hours delayed we should be fine??

Thanks,

Rick

Years ago I was on a flight from ATL to MIA. The airline had flights about every 1 1/2 hour from ATL to MIA.

[OK, I just finished typing this, and it was WAY too long, so here is brief version.]

We were delayed about five hours in total, all on the ground in ATL and on the plane. Multiple delays, each longer than the first. They fed us, and free 'adult' beverages for all. No one could get off. Many people complained that they wanted off to get another flight as they had a cruise to take, but no. Some ladies started to get hysterical and were crying 'We're going to miss the boat.' [Their word, I know they are 'ships'.]

On a flight scheduled to arrive in MIA in the AM, on an airline with many more flights, and they still missed the cruise.

Moral: Fly in one day early when ever you can!

Rich

We are leaving on the Jewel March 28th. As far as flights go, any recommendations as if we should arrive the day before or the morning of the cruise departure. Has anyone who has cruised before had any delays or missed their boat because of flight cancellation, etc.....

No we have never missed a sailing but our kids almost did once. I can see flying in the day of if you are talking about, maybe an hour or a little longer flight and are planning on arriving early morning for the 4 or 5pm sailing. Otherwise, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Come in the night before, relax, enjoy a nice dinner out and get a good nights sleep. I even will take an hour the morning of the cruise to press a few clothes so I can be sure when I unpack things are not all wrinkled.

Nita

We are flying Southwest from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale. The flight gets in at 11:30am on the day of departure (March 29th) and ship departs at 5:00pm (NCL Sky)

It sounds like as long as we are not hours delayed we should be fine??

Thanks,

Rick

There is still a possibility of major snow in March, even the end of March. A couple of years ago my husband flew back to Chicago and then Milwaukee on March 28...well, TRIED to. Was laid over in Chicago, then in Milwaukee, and I STILL had problems getting him from the Appleton (WI) airport on April 2..

If all goes well and your plane DOES arrive at 11:30..you should be OK. You have to be on board about 90 minutes before the ship leaves port, so head immediately to the port, though!

Archived