Binoculars Wide Angle

nimrod1940

I have the option to take 2 different pairs of binoculars on my trip. One is a larger style (not huge, but big) and the other is almost a pocket size. When I look through both pair, I can see no difference in the magnification or the field of vision. Both are Swarovski Optik. The larger pair says "EL 10 x 42" 6,3" and there is a degree sign after the 3. I can't find any specks on the tiny pair.

Is there any benefit to lugging around the bigger ones? Or can I just take the smaller ones since I can't tell a difference in viewing anyway??

TIA,

Cheryl :)

swarovski EL bins are the best of the best...I own a pair of 8.5x...but they are big. I am not as thrilled with ultra compact swarovskis, and use leica instead in this size range. The EL's are well worth bringing, IMHO

Swaro EL is the best! Since you have one, bring it. Don't bother the compact one. After sunset, if you still want to check what's out there from the balcony, the larger 42mm binoculars will bring much more light than the compact ones.

Swaro EL is the best! Since you have one, bring it. Don't bother the compact one. After sunset, if you still want to check what's out there from the balcony, the larger 42mm binoculars will bring much more light than the compact ones.

Thank you for the replies so far. So, if I am understanding this correctly, the larger ones bring in more 'light' and that is what makes the field of vision better?? I'm trying to understand what makes the bigger ones worth the extra weight.

Thank you for the replies so far. So, if I am understanding this correctly, the larger ones bring in more 'light' and that is what makes the field of vision better?? I'm trying to understand what makes the bigger ones worth the extra weight.

Field of vision is how large of an image you see.

Magnification (the first number) is how large the things in the image will be.

The "light" will let things be brighter in the image.

I find this site defines some of the terminology quite well:

http://www.astro-tom.com/telescopes/binoculars.htm

On our last trip we met with friends who had an excellent pair of compact binos, while we had our full-size that we normally travel with, plus a pair of excellent full-size that we purchased on the trip. For 3 days we were constantly comparing all the binoculars--everything from distant scenic viewing to close in bird viewing out their kitchen window. The compact lost in every instance. Even in the sun the image was not as bright, and in the evening, we could make out details on things through the full-size that you couldn't see at all in the compact. They had never purchased full-size before, but have now!

It's not just numbers... Great binoculars have superior optical coatings and lenses made of better glass (or fl) so can have much sharper and brighter images than larger bins of lower quality.

The EL's are just so well designed on many levels...great lenses, great ergonomics, fantastic optical coatings. They retail for well over $1500 and yes, they are that much better.

Bring both pairs...the compacts will be great to stick in your pocket whenyou don't feel like lugging the EL's along

Like couple of other posters mentioned, there are many factors that dictate the image quality of the binoculars: designs, coating, construction, material. You are one of the lucky few who have access to EL, which is one of the greatest binoculars out there (they are not cheap either, $1600+). When all things are equal, larger binoculars allows more light to enter (same reason as astronomer telescopes use such a large mirror that measures in meters). You get brighter image under low light. The image is also sharper with larger lens. The 8.5x EL has wide FOV. That's good for marine life observation. I wish I could afford a pair EL one day. For now, I am pretty content with 8x43 ZEN ED I have. If field of view size is important, try to stay below 10x. My personal favorite is 8x power. There is little practical difference between 8.5x and 8x. I think I would be very happy with 8.5x too.

Like couple of other posters mentioned, there are many factors that dictate the image quality of the binoculars: designs, coating, construction, material. You are one of the lucky few who have access to EL, which is one of the greatest binoculars out there (they are not cheap either, $1600+). When all things are equal, larger binoculars allows more light to enter (same reason as astronomer telescopes use such a large mirror that measures in meters). You get brighter image under low light. The image is also sharper with larger lens. The 8.5x EL has wide FOV. That's good for marine life observation. I wish I could afford a pair EL one day. For now, I am pretty content with 8x43 ZEN ED I have. If field of view size is important, try to stay below 10x. My personal favorite is 8x power. There is little practical difference between 8.5x and 8x. I think I would be very happy with 8.5x too.

The 8.5x are ideal, but the 8x32 are almost as bright and quite a bit smaller and lighter, with superior ergonomics. A few of my birding friends have switched to this size; I am waiting until they are available with the new swarobright coating

I am really impressed with the ZRS HD. It's only $215. For practical matter, I could see very little difference between this and my $400 ZEN ED2. Both are much superior to the $300 Nikon Monarch.

I have read the the 10x is hard to keep stable on a cruise ship. Should I stick with the 8x42?

I have read the the 10x is hard to keep stable on a cruise ship. Should I stick with the 8x42?
I prefer 8x from a moving ship...I find the background motion cancels out any additional benefit of added magnification, plus the 8x pairs tend to be brighter, sharper, and have a wider field of view.

I prefer 10x for certain applications (watching distant birds in bright conditions on dry ground), but even then the higher magnification will also amplify and hand tremor or other body movement, so is of less actual benefit than you might think.

Interesting studies in birdwatching literature show that most people actually can resolve fine details just as clearly with 8x as with 10x, FWIW, unless a tripod is used.

That's the advice I got from here too. That's why my first pair ordered was a 8x43 ZEN ED2. Then, we figured we need two pairs anyway. The 10x will come handy for our use when on shore.

Any recommendations if I don't want to spend $300+?

DH and I shared between a pair of zenray summit and VISTA. I used the 8x VISTA more often since I cannot tell much difference between these two. But DH knows the glasses pretty well and he thinks he likes the Summit view better. I do enjoy the 8x better while on the cruiseship

You cannot go wrong with that plan. My favorite size is 8x. I may even try a pair of 7x in a few years to afford a better stability.

The 8.5x are ideal, but the 8x32 are almost as bright and quite a bit smaller and lighter, with superior ergonomics. A few of my birding friends have switched to this size; I am waiting until they are available with the new swarobright coating

amen.

• 3 weeks later...
has anyone taken spotting scope for a cruise? DH just got one. He wanted to bring it for the next trip. But won't 20x too much to use?

It is almost impossible to use a spotting scope from a moving ship. They are useful in port (we have watched mountain goats from our balcony in Juneau, a black bear on the mountain behind Seward, and lots of birds both from the ship and while on shore). I use a spotting scope all the time (we keep one set up in our living room for watching wildlife on the lake) and still found it almost impossible to use one when the ship was moving (even very slowly, such as in Glacier Bay).

A spotting scope is wonderful for the interior, and if you plan to rent cars and explore on your own. I do have a very compact one that I bring on excursions (small enough to stow in a backpack).

It is almost impossible to use a spotting scope from a moving ship. They are useful in port (we have watched mountain goats from our balcony in Juneau, a black bear on the mountain behind Seward, and lots of birds both from the ship and while on shore). I use a spotting scope all the time (we keep one set up in our living room for watching wildlife on the lake) and still found it almost impossible to use one when the ship was moving (even very slowly, such as in Glacier Bay).

A spotting scope is wonderful for the interior, and if you plan to rent cars and explore on your own. I do have a very compact one that I bring on excursions (small enough to stow in a backpack).

thank you! since we will do a RT next time, so we will spend most of the time on the ship. We will have to think hard how many binoculars to take if we are going to carry the spotting scope. It's quite big.

I spent most of my time using 10x42 Summit binoculars. I think I am getting really good at holding the 10x steady now. I did try some spotting scopes in store last weekend. I just like the 3-D effect better with binoculars.

Archived