Advice on getting from Southampton to London

Mooloo

Hi guys,

was hoping for advice / information on getting from Soton to London after a cruise. I've looked at on the port website, but although they offer info about the depth of the port, nothing interesting like how to get there or away.:rolleyes:

We'll dock in the morning, but the national express bus leaving from the cruise terminal leaves at 9.30 and is the only bus leaving that day.

So I have a few questions:

Is the main Soton bus terminal a reasonable distance of the terminal (there are v regular buses)

Would train be a more straight forward trip - regular trains (again, is it a reasonable distance of the terminal?)

Your suggestions and advice would be v helpful.

Hi guys,

was hoping for advice / information on getting from Soton to London after a cruise. I've looked at on the port website, but although they offer info about the depth of the port, nothing interesting like how to get there or away.:rolleyes:

We'll dock in the morning, but the national express bus leaving from the cruise terminal leaves at 9.30 and is the only bus leaving that day.

So I have a few questions:

Is the main Soton bus terminal a reasonable distance of the terminal (there are v regular buses)

Would train be a more straight forward trip - regular trains (again, is it a reasonable distance of the terminal?)

Your suggestions and advice would be v helpful.

Southampton's bus and rail stations are both a £5 to £8 taxi ride from all cruise terminals - pretty close to City Cruise Terminal, but I'm presuming you'll have luggage.

As you say, there are regular coach services to London's Victoria coach station, but even with the advantage of bus lanes the journey by road into central London can be quite frustrating. And there is always the possibility (tho I've not heard of any examples) that drivers will enforce their 2 x 40lb luggage limit if they risk overloading.

Whilst more expensive, the train (2/3 per hour) to London's Waterloo station is quicker, much less stressful & rather more scenic than a boring motorway.

The location of your central London hotel is probably irrelevant, you are likely to need a cab ride from either destination & they're not a million miles apart.

THIS ADVICE RE CENTRAL LONDON. Ignore it & ask again if you're aiming for London's airports.

John Bull

Thanks John

We'll be arriving on the Epic after a one nighter & so only hand luggage style suitcase.

We will need to head back into London and either Victoria & Waterloo are fairly easy for us - I can get reasonably priced tickets on Southern at the mo, so I may just book - problem is trying to guess when we'd get to the station - we dock at about 10, I think.

The benefit of NE is that they will let you get an earlier coach if there's room & the driver not too stroppy. Downside is the traffic.

I may go for the train, but not having docked in the UK before, roughly how low do people think I should allow for entry and then transfer to the station?

thanks again :)

You can be the first people off the boat if you need to......that would be around 730am I would think......you will easily make any reservation past 9am I would surely think even if you are slightly delayed.

TD

The more I keep debating coach vs train traveling from Victoria to Southampton I keep leaning more and more to the train. Traffic is a minor concern yet still a concern with a coach. Train more scenic, faster. Little more expensive I believe. What do you think?

Thanks John

We'll be arriving on the Epic after a one nighter & so only hand luggage style suitcase.

We will need to head back into London and either Victoria & Waterloo are fairly easy for us - I can get reasonably priced tickets on Southern at the mo, so I may just book - problem is trying to guess when we'd get to the station - we dock at about 10, I think.

The benefit of NE is that they will let you get an earlier coach if there's room & the driver not too stroppy. Downside is the traffic.

I may go for the train, but not having docked in the UK before, roughly how low do people think I should allow for entry and then transfer to the station?

thanks again :)

City Cruise terminal is max 15 min walk to coach or rail stations, Mayflower max 25 mins, both 5 mins by taxi. QE2 & Ocean terminals max 10 mins by taxi. Sorry, can't remember which NCL normally use, they're comparatively rare visitors. There may also be free ship's shuttle to the station/s

TD's estimate of disembarkation times is accurate for most arrivals, though to be safe, and avoid rushing, a 9.30 to 10 am reservation is usually ideal.

10am disembarkation is unusual, worth checking with the cruise line.

TD - if there's just two of you I rate the extra cost of the train well worthwhile.

John Bull

I can get reasonably priced tickets on Southern at the mo, so I may just book - problem is trying to guess when we'd get to the station
Are you sure that the ticket isn't valid for all trains, even if you have to select a particular train when you book online? It's worth reading the fare rules to see what the conditions are.

Archived