Barbados or St Lucia

startpacking

Which island is more interesting to visit? I am not planning on visiting either island but not as part of a cruise and I will spend three or four days (maximum) on either island. I am interested in cultural and historic sights, not too interested in the beach or relaxing by the pool. In the Caribbean I've been to Cancun, Cozumel and Cuba. I haven't been to any other Caribbean islands.

Also, if CC members can recommend reliable tour operators on either island please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Think you'll find there's more variation re. things to do, in Barbados

but I might be prejudiced.

I'm sure others will chime in with their considered opinion.

Spiral-44.jpg

A quiet corner of St.John's Parish Church, over on the E.coast of Barbados

chiming in here... We did 7 ports in 7 days (including San Juan where we left from). Of all the islands Barbados was our favourite by far, and St. Lucia our least favourite, although we enjoyed 5 of the other islands very much too.

Now, we are beach people, but besides the beaches in barbados being a million times better, I just preferred the terrain (rolling hills, fields of sugar cane, rugges coastline), climate (hot, sunny and trade winds), friendlines of the people and over all good karma. Being on a cruise of course we didn't get to see much of either island, but we'd go back to Barbados for a land vacation in a heart beat and feel there would be lots to see and do besides the beaches. St. Lucia just didn't impress us and we found the people not so friendly.

We are just back from visiting both islands last week. We are partial to St. Lucia with lovely Pitons, beaches and Jade Mountain resort. Love to travel through the villages and visit with the locals. We have two great guides to recommend....in Antigua, Gordon is a super guy and will do what you would like. In St. Lucia, Spencer Ambrose and his brother Small give a fabulous tour of their island and will also do whatever you want. I highly recommend both.

..although I suspect you may get the exact opposite reaction on the St. Lucia board.:)
Funnily enough Keith,

there has been little reaction of any real meaning, to this question

over on the St.Lucia forum. Go check it out! Peculiar.

Funnily enough Keith,

there has been little reaction of any real meaning, to this question

over on the St.Lucia forum. Go check it out! Peculiar.

I took a peek over there and you are correct there seems to be very little(read no...) reaction to the query from locals.:confused:

Thanks for all the replies, I too find it funny that the same question on the St Lucia board isn't getting much of a response. I now have my airline ticket routed via BGI so I can spend some a few days in Barbados. Oh, flights to BGI had better flight times than to UVF! :)

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Archived