Chefs' Parade.

garigoun

Well I have to confess that I don't mind clapping the chefs in and out and have even taken photos :eek: and welcome the occasion as an opportunity to thank them, I suppose.

I don't want the menus but don't refuse them, bring them home and then put them away for a while.

I do wonder at the practice.

I could do without the parade, particularly as was already stated, in

the absence of Baked Alaska.

I have been told on Holland America that the staff actually enjoys doing

it, somewhat hard to believe considering the amount of work they have.

But if they don't dread it, it's nice for us to give them a round of applause.

As for the menu copies, I love any sort of liner memorabilia, particularly

from a trip that I have actually taken myself. There would be no savings

to Cunard by not giving them out, as they are dated individually and

therefore good for use on the designated day only. This in itself is a

nice tradition now gone from other lines, who reuse the same daily cycle

of menus week in and week out across their fleets.

I agree, if they enjoy it then it is a small price for us to pay in giving them well earned applause, but I do wonder

Those on the Melody didnt seem bothered one way or the other, The least we as passengers could do was give them a warm hand on their entrance.

1189217355_MELODYCRUISEMYLES475.jpg.5ef195ef98a9b651727571ed902a6ec9.jpg

Those on the Melody didnt seem bothered one way or the other, The least we as passengers could do was give them a warm hand on their entrance.

That's our CQ, predictable as ever. A man seemingly incapable of leaving any entendre undoubled.

Gari

There is no evidence that the word "POSH" originated from "port out starboard home".

Probably before your time, from the days before air conditioning, when one had portholes that opened and one relied on the prevailing winds to cool down the cabin. Had a washbasin in the cabin but had to go down the hallway for tolet and bath/shower. (and that was travelling in FIRST CLASS )

Yes I am OLD like FatherT-so I did actually travel then , on the Anchor Line , from Far East to Liverpool, had parade of the Haggis complete with Piper, not the Baked Alaska, menus were 3-4 pages for breakfast, and 5-6 pages for dinner, and EVERY NIGHT you "dressed for dinner"

Lynn

Chefs Parade...cringe , cringe...so naff. Can you imagine the passengers of yesteryear clapping the crew. Surely a custom from the ole loveboat, definately not Cunard.

Well if yesteryear goes back to the 1970's, when l worked on board RMS Franconia, then yes l can not only imagine pax cheering the crew, l actually know that they did...in many ways and on many occasions.

Clap l feel is not quite the right word to use.

Cunard my dear aint as stuffy as one may think...naff or not! :rolleyes:

Jackie :)

If we must tolerate the parade, and at least we have succeeded in getting rid of the baked Alaska, then let's make it meaningful and appreciative. We could have the most senior Chef leading out staff carrying plates of sausage, followed by more junior staff carrying plates of bacon, then fried eggs, black pudding, grilled tomatoes, ... I'm sure that you get the picture. Now who could resist applauding such caring staff?

:)

If we must tolerate the parade, and at least we have succeeded in getting rid of the baked Alaska, then let's make it meaningful and appreciative. We could have the most senior Chef leading out staff carrying plates of sausage, followed by more junior staff carrying plates of bacon, then fried eggs, black pudding, grilled tomatoes, ... I'm sure that you get the picture. Now who could resist applauding such caring staff?

This already happens after a Tesco breakfast.

Mary

That would get my vote as long as they unburdened themselves of their loaded plates as they passed my table!

J

PS - why do I get the uneasy feeling that that post was aimed pretty squarely at little ole moi?

l970, -a mere yesterday, my dear. I am remembering 20 years before that when travelling from S'ton to New York you would have sailed aboard the one an only original QM.

At that time it took 21 days to make the journey home from the Far East, and the only ports were those where the ship picked up cargo/mail or supplies. No tours, no bingo/trivia, and we danced on deck to -horror of horror -those things called gramaphone records!

As I said I am OLD!

Well if yesteryear goes back to the 1970's, when l worked on board RMS Franconia, then yes l can not only imagine pax cheering the crew, l actually know that they did...in many ways and on many occasions.

Clap l feel is not quite the right word to use.

Cunard my dear aint as stuffy as one may think...naff or not! :rolleyes:

Jackie :)

Thank you for jogging my old brain Jackie. I almost posted yesterday that I remembered a Cherries Jubilee parade, flames and all, on the Franconia in '71 and am happy to know that I had not confused it with memories of other cruise lines' staff parades!

Archived