Just back from Costa Fortuna 1/31-2/7/10

luv2cruise523

Our family of 5 (7yrs - 82yrs) just returned from the Costa Fortuna WC itinerary. A great time was had by all. Our childern DS 9 and DD 7 LOVED the kids club. Our only disappointment was the.............yes I'm going to say it, the food. We did not let that spoil our Costa Cruise experience on the Fortuna. If you are thinking about booking just do it.

Our family of 5 (7yrs - 82yrs) just returned from the Costa Fortuna WC itinerary. A great time was had by all. Our childern DS 9 and DD 7 LOVED the kids club. Our only disappointment was the.............yes I'm going to say it, the food. We did not let that spoil our Costa Cruise experience on the Fortuna. If you are thinking about booking just do it.

Thanks for the review. We are going on the WC Fortuna on Feb 28th. I do have a question. What kind of beer is offered and how much?

Thanks again,

RICH

Good to hear you had a great time. We are going on Mar. 14 ourselves.

Did you ship adjust time (especially Cozumel which is on CST), to be the same as port time, the night before?

How much time before ship sails, did you have to be back on board, 1/2hr or 1 hr? Was it the same at all ports as most were docking (Nassau, Ocho Rios, Cozumel) while at G. Cayman it is tendering?

Thanks a lot.

• There were several Domestic(Bud, Coor) and Imported beers( Hein, Coron) I do not know the prices as I did not drink beer and anyway when we are on vacation we do not worry about price if we want it we have it.
  • They do adjust the time (back 1 hr) during the night before we arrive in Cozumel. Back to EST during the night back to Ft.Lauderdale from Cozumel.
  • Tendering in Grand Cayman very smooth process.
  • YOU NEED TO BE BACK ON BOARD 1/2 HR BEFORE DEPARTURE.
  • Food is very subjective, you may like it. And NO we were not expecting Olive Garden, we went with open minds and it just was not to our liking. This is not to say that there was nothing we did not like to eat, but most dishes we did not like the flavors. One day for lunch we had ribs that were outstanding.

I too just returned from the Costa Fortuna and I have to disagree about the food. It was OUTSTANDING!! I felt that it put most other's to shame. I was particularly impressed with their Seafood. It was so fresh and delicious it could have been served at a 5 star restaurant. Halfway through the cruise I realized that if there was anything seafood on the menu that I would definitely be ordering at least 2 entrees. The pasta was also outstanding. I loved how the buffet had during the peak lunch hour 6 different lines and each line had a different pasta offering. Some of my favorites were the rigatoni with marinara and swordfish, and the penne with chicken and Pesto. Afternoon tea was also a pleasant surprise. They offered afternoon tea in the buffet every day with at least 6 different varieties of "loose" teas they baged for you. In addition they had cookies, and mini sandwhiches. I almost forgot about the bruschetta. It was incredible! going back to the lunch buffet with 6 lines, it was amazing that people never figured out that each of the six lines had different selections on them. My wife and I would take a lap around the buffets and see which one had the best offerings of what we liked. needless to say I ate like a king.

I too just returned from the Costa Fortuna and I have to disagree about the food. It was OUTSTANDING!! I felt that it put most other's to shame. I was particularly impressed with their Seafood. It was so fresh and delicious it could have been served at a 5 star restaurant. Halfway through the cruise I realized that if there was anything seafood on the menu that I would definitely be ordering at least 2 entrees. The pasta was also outstanding. I loved how the buffet had during the peak lunch hour 6 different lines and each line had a different pasta offering. Some of my favorites were the rigatoni with marinara and swordfish, and the penne with chicken and Pesto. Afternoon tea was also a pleasant surprise. They offered afternoon tea in the buffet every day with at least 6 different varieties of "loose" teas they baged for you. In addition they had cookies, and mini sandwhiches. I almost forgot about the bruschetta. It was incredible! going back to the lunch buffet with 6 lines, it was amazing that people never figured out that each of the six lines had different selections on them. My wife and I would take a lap around the buffets and see which one had the best offerings of what we liked. needless to say I ate like a king.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the food so much. I have to agree the bruschetta was very good and I also enjoyed the afternoon tea time. Like I said before it was not all, not to our liking. As far as the "6 different lines with a differant pasta offering" our Costa Fortuna ship must have been on a different planet.

Beer Selection:

Domestic: Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Michelob Ultra, Blue Moon

Imported: Corona, Heineken, Becks (draught), Franziskaner, Carlsberg

There are more but those were the ones I noticed.

Thanks I have been trying get an answer from anyone for a while.

• They do adjust the time (back 1 hr) during the night before we arrive in Cozumel. Back to EST during the night back to Ft.Lauderdale from Cozumel.
  • Tendering in Grand Cayman very smooth process.
  • YOU NEED TO BE BACK ON BOARD 1/2 HR BEFORE DEPARTURE.

Thanks for responding. I agree food can be very subjective. I didn't like seafood until I got married and my wife's family loved seafood. I had trouble adjusting (and still don't like some), but can "handle" seafood better now.

For Cayman that was tendering, did you remember what time was the last tender (ship leaves 3pm, was the last tender at 2pm or 2:30pm?)

In the morning, how did the tender process go? In NCL and Carnival, they let those with ship's excursions to get the tender tickets first, and had those people line up in one place (often the theater), while others line up at a different place (a big lounge). But often if you show them proof you have excursions booked, they'll also give you early tender tickets.

We sailed the Fortuna 1/17-1/24. This was my second Costa cruise. I thought the food was really good. We ended up eating in the dining room for breakfast each day (loved it.. talk about service) the buffet was always very busy at lunch which got really annoying but it was still pretty good. Loved the soft serve ice cream. Even with the six lines it was crazy busy. Dinner was excellent every night. The cheesecake was good and we always ordered ice cream with everything which was excellent.

You go to the Rex for a numbered ticket at grand caymen. Pretty smooth if you get there early. May have to wait if not. Last one goes back at 2:30.

You go to the Rex for a numbered ticket at grand caymen. Pretty smooth if you get there early. May have to wait if not. Last one goes back at 2:30.

Thanks. That's good to know.

I plan to take the family to the Stingray Sandbar and snorkeling tour with Sotos. Now it should allow enough time for me to scuba at Eden Rock, maybe even arrange Discovery scuba for my kids.

I was on the Fortuna 1/31-2/7 also. Our very first cruise ever and we thouroughly enjoyed it. We weren't thrilled with the food, but it was fine. We wished we didn't need sleep because we really missed alot! I am now experiencing post cruise seasickness and wondering what anyone else does for this. I can't stand it!

I just returned from the same week on the Fortuna and wish I were back on the ship now, as I watch the snow falling in the Midwest. I would like to thank Andy for his detailed posts after his recent return from the Fortuna. I consider myself a savvy traveler and am certain I would have "navigated" my way, but because of Andy's posts, there were no surprises. I knew exactly what to expect at each step, from embarkation to debarkation.

I had not cruised in over twenty years and when I had last done so, it was on a much smaller ship. I am of German descent - my mother is from Munich and my paternal grandparents were from Stuttgart via Odessa. I am a solo male traveler. I mention these things only because I believe for each of us, our impressions are colored by the life influences we bring to the table.

First and foremost, Costa is a European cruise line:

• If you don't want to be around Europeans, then don't book a Costa cruise.
  • If you don't want to hear European languages, then don't book a Costa cruise.
  • If you don't like European cuisine, then don't book a Costa cruise.
  • In a nutshell, if you don't want a European experience, then don't book a Costa cruise.

The Fortuna is a beautiful ship - tastefully appointed and well-maintained. I had studied the deck plans closely before I departed, so I had a good mental image of the ship's layout. Nonetheless, I occasionally found myself puzzled, because I couldn't figure out how to get from "here" to "there." I'm certain the same thing is true of all large ships.

There were only four negatives that I noted from the entire week on the comment form provided on Saturday, which I will share here:

• The vast majority of staff members were adequate in their English skills. Unfortunately, two areas where they should have been the strongest - Customer Service and Tours - they were the weakest.
  • There is much confusion about the drink packages - from the reservations staff to the onboard staff. I had the X1 package and there was inconsistency about when and where it could be used. I could ask one person for a drink and be refused; then, ask another person and be served. There are also additional packages available onboard, one of which I would have purchased instead of the X1, had I known about it. None of this information is available on the Costa website.
  • My main waiter was curt and unhelpful. Once, I asked him about two of the entree selections, and he responded that one had more sauce than the other. They were two completely different kinds of beef! On the other hand, my assistant waiter was very helpful and eager to please.
  • Unfortunately, my most unpleasant customer service incident came only Saturday afternoon. I asked the maitre'd whether I might borrow a pen, so that I could write down the names of my waiters and include them on my comment form. He told me that he didn't have a pen and that I could get one from customer service. He then took a telephone call and pulled a pen out of his pocket. Keep in mind that this occurred in the rear of the ship and the customer service desk is located in the center of the ship. Petty? Yes. Irritating? Definitely!

Were any of these things deal breakers? Absolutely not! Would I book Costa again? Absolutely, as long as the itinerary interested me and the price were competitive!

Now, it's on to the Carnival Splendor for the Mexican Riviera, May 2nd through the 9th!

There is much confusion about the drink packages - from the reservations staff to the onboard staff. I had the X1 package and there was inconsistency about when and where it could be used. I could ask one person for a drink and be refused; then, ask another person and be served. There are also additional packages available onboard, one of which I would have purchased instead of the X1, had I known about it. None of this information is available on the Costa website.

What were the drink packages available onboard?

There is much confusion about the drink packages - from the reservations staff to the onboard staff. I had the X1 package and there was inconsistency about when and where it could be used. I could ask one person for a drink and be refused; then, ask another person and be served. There are also additional packages available onboard, one of which I would have purchased instead of the X1, had I known about it. None of this information is available on the Costa website.

Now, it's on to the Carnival Splendor for the Mexican Riviera, May 2nd through the 9th!

Thanks for your review. I'd like to know about the other drink package(s) too. What did it include and what was the cost?

BTW, we were on the Splendor last Aug., in an inside spa cabin. It was good. I can provide feedback on that, but we should do that on the Carnival forum.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the food so much. I have to agree the bruschetta was very good and I also enjoyed the afternoon tea time. Like I said before it was not all, not to our liking. As far as the "6 different lines with a differant pasta offering" our Costa Fortuna ship must have been on a different planet.

Luv2, I am so sorry you missed that. a lot of people did. I know the one day it was a tough decision. The Line by the "oceania" pool had Mostaccioli, the side line on the starboard side had meat ravioli, while the two main lines were serving a penne with chicken and pesto and a Linguini with marinara, italian sausage, shrooms and peppers. The other two lines weren't too exciting as the side line on the port side had a basic spaghetti with sauce and the line by the "columbo" pool had a basic fettucine alfredo. What did you think about the ice cream bar they set up by the columbo pool on Thursday afternoon (leaving the Caymans)? I thought that was great with everything to make your own sundaes.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of the onboard packages. There were four packages, as I recall, that offered water, soda and/or alcohol. If you are a teetotaler or light drinker and only drink water or soda, you would do better to buy one of the onboard packages than the X1 package.

Archived