Some novice snorkler questions

sandravb79

Hello,

I hope to go snorkeling on my upcoming cruise (no idea where I'll do it, we will be in Labadee, Ocho Rios, Cozumel and Georgetown GC).

Do I need water shoes or do you only wear those flipper-thingies?

I don't feel like schlepping snorkle gear all the way from Belgium to the US on a 3-week trip to go snorkle a few hours, will I be fine by just using/ renting gear through the excursion?

Also, I wear contacts, will I be fine with just the snorkle-goggles/ glasses/ mask/ whatever it is called, or should I wear something in between those two?

While snorkling is something that seems so great, it also freaks me out a bit. I guess I saw Jaws too much :rolleyes:

'I'll try to answer some of your questions:

If you to on a snorkel excursion with your ship, it usually includes the equipment. If you don't mind using a snorkel someone else has used, you will be fine. Some of the excursions are great with sanitizing the equipment,others are not. Flippers are usually inculded.

One can wear contacts when snorkeling. Just want to make sure you have a good seal on the mask so you don't get a lot of water in it. The salt water will sting your eyes a little. If your eyes aren't that bad, there is some natural correction you get from the water, so if you're like my daughter whose contacts are 1.5, she can manage without them. I on the other hand am blind without my glasses, so my mask has corrective lenses.

Enjoy

Cozumel and Grand Cayman have fabulous snorkeling opportunities. As already mentioned, if you go on an excursion thru the ship, gear will be provided. But, if you want to do an independent snorkel trip or snorkel from shore, there are plenty of rental places also. At Cozumel, we like to head for Chanakanaab Park. You can catch a taxi at the pier and the driver will know where it is. There are always taxis available to take you back to the ship or to town when you are ready to return. http://www.cozumelparks.com/ On Grand Cayman, the most popular excursion is to Stingray City. You can do this thru your ship's tour desk or as an independent tour. Or if you just want to get in the water and see fish, we like to head for a spot just off the tender pier called Eden Rock. We have our own equipment, but we rent a locker there and it's an easy entry into the water and there are always lots of fish to see.

Also, I wear contact lenses and I never have a problem snorkeling with them. Just make sure you get a mask that fits well, so it doesn't leak, and you'll be fine.

Have a great cruise!

I agree with everything above.

Regarding the water shoes. I have a pair I wear that are also good for walking into town or up the street from the beach for luch or a drink. Well worth the space in your luggage. Kind of a compromise between flip Flops and Running Shoes/ Sneakers.

One thing I would add is that I don't wear the flippers, without the flippers, I don't travel as fast thru the water, but it is more of a workout for me with flippers and hard on my knees. If you are only carrying the mask and snorkel, it's not so much to carry around. Practice in a pool b4 you go, I was really freaked out my first few times, but love it now. Never seen Jaws, probably I shouldn't. :)

When we went to Grand Caymans we wanted to snorkel with the Sting Rays. My husband had snorkelled before but I hadn't. So I put all my gear on and practiced in the hotel pool the night before our cruise. I was glad I had a practice run because I was able to get my mask to fit properly before getting into the salt water.

Dar

When we went to Grand Caymans we wanted to snorkel with the Sting Rays. My husband had snorkelled before but I hadn't. So I put all my gear on and practiced in the hotel pool the night before our cruise. I was glad I had a practice run because I was able to get my mask to fit properly before getting into the salt water.

Dar

An excellent idea!

One way to get the mask to fit better for many people is to angle the strap so that the back of the strap is higher on the back of your head. It would be almost like a 45 degree angle. A snorkling tour instructor recommended this to me when I first got my own equipment and it helped a great deal.

As an avid snorkelor, I must say welcome to the club! You will love it! I suggest practicing in a pool a few times, so you can avoid the mouthfull of salt water.

My husband wears contacts, and he has never had a problem with the snorkel mask.

I strongly suggest wearing the flippers. Borrow them, bring your own, whatever, but wear them. The ocean currents can be strong and you move much faster with the flippers and a straight leg kick (from the hip). You will be able to cover more ground, see much more exciting and beautiful things, and be less tired if you use the flippers.

One note: if you want to use flippers and don't have normal-size feet, you may have problems with the ones the tour operators provided When my husband and I snorkeled for the first time, I had a problem keeping my flippers on (I have somewhat narrow feet), and my husband's flippers were too tight and dug into his feet (he has wide feet). This cruise we're bringing our own.

Hi!

There are many good posts and information offered, and I'll add a few of my own.

I have snorkled at least once every cruise. Each time I have rented the gear so I didn't have to worry about lugging mine around.

Snorkels: Some folks will bring their own. They don't take much room and are kind of personal. Some of the cruise lines (Carnival comes to mind) usually sell them for a modest price at the ship's "dive locker" located near one of the pools. See the schedule for when it is open.

Masks: Most of the rentals offer a variety of sizes and shapes. Everone's face is shaped a bit differently, so don't be afraid to try on a few styles to find what works for you.

Flippers: I have a US men's size 12 foot. Finding flippers that fit is sometimes a problem, but I have always been able to make it work.

You will be in two of the world's great snorkeling areas. Enjoy your adventure!

Sorry..this turned out longer than I intended but...we're just back from the Caribbean with 25 hours of snorkeling in 10 days. We love it so much and hope everyone else can too and it can be so easy. My husband wears contacts and has no problem (blind without). We used rented equipment lots of times! As said before, use a pool or shallow area to practice before you go in above your head so you have time to get comfortable. Take your time to learn and dont give up right away - the ocean is so amazing. If you can fix the problem of fog and leaky mask without surfacing you will have a much nicer time without exhausting yourself in 10 minutes. It's not hard at all and being able to fix these problems mid swim should allow you to snorkel without surfacing or standing for an hour or more! I hate treading water and sink quickly so I really needed these tips when we started but learned the hard way.

Most tour operators have good tips so listen up when they are giving instructions! If you're having a hard time, ask right away for new equipment or tips on how to solve the problems you're having. Don’t wait until you're exhausted or nervous in the ocean. Snorkeling should be very relaxing and about the fish and coral, not your equipment.

Foggy mask problem...All my masks have fogged. A scary problem when close to coral in waves or in a new setting! Use a 'Water Wiper' technique! Right when you get in, let a little water leak into your mask by lifting the seal and let it sit in the bottom until your mask fogs up any amount. Then tip your head straight down and swish your head around and use that little bit of water to clear the surface of your mask. It's so much easier than surfacing and rinsing. A big wad of spit works too but it isn't as nice as salt water because it messes up your vision. Some dive shops will offer to 'burn' your mask and that may also help but I've never done it. And NEVER put your mask on your forehead like sunglasses...that's what starts the problem, pull down and hang it around your neck instead. Just watch the first eager-beaver in the boat who puts on their mask and you'll see it happen in an instant.

Leaky mask...'Suck it Up' and 'Blow it Out' -Try breathing in through your nose to suction the mask to your face and seal it up (before too much water leaks or you give yourself an uncomfortable sinus flush instead). The bands can be quite loose if you can suck the mask on. If you do get too much water in your mask, put your hand on the top of the mask to press against your forehead and blow hard through your nose....you break the lower part of the seal and blow the water out and then press the mask against your face again. A three second hard blow will do it. After I do this I always let in a little more water to use to clear the mask when it fogged while I was blowing out all my hot air. You shouldn't have a snorkel imprint when returing...it makes you look like a sea monster.

Fins or Not...'Fin Like A Manta'. With fins you need to operate like a manta ray! Big, very slow motions. My husband has had knee surgery (more needed) and has no problems with snorkeling in fins. You are not a motor boat and don’t need to splash the surface up and scare the critters! Go slow like the big giant fish you are! The water works with you when you go slow but against you when you thrash about. I cramp up quickly and use a 100 different finning techniques while snorkeling but they are all slow and gentle. Side stroke, breast stroke wave motion, long straight legs, walking motion, frog style, reverse treading water so I can hear what’s going on above water...all to keep warm and moving to stop the leg cramps I get when I'm cold or not moving much. You'll find an effective method! And everyone’s looking at the fish..not you!

My husband and I have made up sign language we use while snorkeling to point out things that are camouflaged on the bottom or surface. We have signs for barracuda, eel, flounder, octopus, squid, turtle, ray, needle fish, trigger fish, crab, 'look at that', and 'way cool'. Snorkel talk is impossible to understand...your mouth is really full so it breaks all ettiquet rules!

I love the macro stuff down there and my husband is searching for the big stuff but there is so much to see and hear...keep your ears open for the parrot fish munching the coral! Sounds like snap-crackle-pop!

Archived