Port of Miami and checked liquor and wine

i have posted this before...and i question it again...

CCL is doing this for the $'s...PERIOD!

So, why discriminate? Do not allow people to carry on wine, cokes and bottled water. And when they stop that, cancel the allowance of all sunblock and perfumes. Afterall, CCL sells that stuff too. oh, NO SMOKES ALLOWED either. (that should make g'ma real happy) You should be required to purchase that all onboard too.

Why discriminate with the booze? If CCL sells it onboard, you should not be allowed to bring it onboard. You should be forced to purchase it on the ship. Clothes? Where should it end? Oxygen?

Maybe CCL should start charging full price for 4 people per cabin instead of giving discounts to families for 3rd and 4th guests. Maybe the CEO needs a paycut?!!!

I hate it that one group of people (drinkers, smugglers etc) are penalized and have to make up for the company's lost revenue. Truth is, the cruiseline is losing money still if people bring on their own cokes for their kids. So why is that allowed?

No, I don't want to hear smarty pants remarks like "because it's against the rules that's why you shouldn't smuggle booze" duh! I know that. I'd love to see the ban on some of these other things like sunblock, film, wine, smokes etc. I wonder what will be said then.

It's ridiculous!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. it's not fair, i don't like it, and if i can't smuggle my booze onboard, i will go to AI resorts. I fly for free. I choose to pay to cruise.

Go ahead CCL, nickel and dime me to death (or highway rob me) and I will not be returning after my currently booked cruise.:mad:

p.s.

if they charged everyone for all of the above stuff, then everyone would be supplementing the price of the cruise....not just a few unlucky souls who wish to have a few cocktails of their choice.

I don't use pools, only ordered room service once, i was in a hot tub once...i'm pretty low maintenance. i need a cocktail, my balcony and my ports of call.

***stepping off soap box now ****

Wow..very interesting..something to deal with in the future. Im more concerned about the luggage being left unlocked. That is going to lead to more theft if you ask me. Its bad enough you have to carry on all your jewelry, electronics and prescripts but now you will have to carry on some of the nicer clothing and shoes. Does the suggestion to keep the luggage unlocked even include the use of TSA approved locks?

Carnival has adjusted their policy on unlocked luggage and it may now be locked.

We suggest all luggage be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom. Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel.

p.s.

if they charged everyone for all of the above stuff, then everyone would be supplementing the price of the cruise....not just a few unlucky souls who wish to have a few cocktails of their choice.

I don't use pools, only ordered room service once, i was in a hot tub once...i'm pretty low maintenance. i need a cocktail, my balcony and my ports of call.

***stepping off soap box now ****

I am with you. many of the folks here who admonish the "smugglers" also brag about how they come home with leftover OBC or that they spend next to nothing on board.

If we cant bring on any at all for our use in cabin we will be going to AI's for sure next year.

Five friends have boarded different cruises (out of Miami) since the more inforced rule....All goodies made it to their cabins ......;);)

Good to know, thanks! My friends just got back from the Triumph out of New Orleans and no problems there either:D

Good to know, thanks! My friends just got back from the Triumph out of New Orleans and no problems there either:D

Yeah- I have had this feeling that this may all be a big uproar over nothing. I'll wait and see before I book my AI instead of the cruise for next year. Funny cuase if Carnival did take our booze we just wouldn't drink as much. We couldn'at afford to buy all that on the ship. So they really aren't loosing any proffit on us. Funny cuase Carnival still makes more of a profit on us that those rude non drinkers that seem to have everything to say about smuggling.

So, why discriminate? Do not allow people to carry on wine, cokes and bottled water. And when they stop that, cancel the allowance of all sunblock and perfumes. Afterall, CCL sells that stuff too. oh, NO SMOKES ALLOWED either. (that should make g'ma real happy) You should be required to purchase that all onboard too.

Why discriminate with the booze? If CCL sells it onboard, you should not be allowed to bring it onboard. You should be forced to purchase it on the ship.

Could not agree more!

Carnival is the largest cruiseline company in the world, gobbling up othe lines along the way.

They are the fun ship and I enjoy their product.

Guess what: They got that big by looking the other way. No harm no foul.

Funny cuase Carnival still makes more of a profit on us that those rude non drinkers that seem to have everything to say about smuggling.

amen

Thanks for saying what I've been wanting to say. G'ma has posted 51 times in one day-to let us all know how she feels about liquor smuggling and how she defends the 'rights' of smokers. G'ma needs to get a grip.

if only we were all as righteous as grandma the world would be a better place :rolleyes:

here's my game plan: get a sticky label, put it on a bottle of 350ml of bourbon( my room number). just give it to them to store for me. on the last night, they give it back. now for the best part of the strategy, find someone doing a b2b. have them buy on board some duty free booze. keep it for me until our embarkation. tip them well. have a liter for the trip. will this work?

here's my game plan: get a sticky label, put it on a bottle of 350ml of bourbon( my room number). just give it to them to store for me. on the last night, they give it back. now for the best part of the strategy, find someone doing a b2b. have them buy on board some duty free booze. keep it for me until our embarkation. tip them well. have a liter for the trip. will this work?

Where will they keep it for you?

Steve

Our solution is to purchase a couple of bottles of liquor from Bon Voyage and bring the mixers with us to make Bloody Marys, Margaritas, pina coladas, etc. The ones we buy don't contain alcohol and for sure are not as much liquid as a 12-pack of sodas and a case of water, which apparently are OK. We also bring on tabasco, worcestershire, etc., and mix our own drinks in our room. We find it is much cheaper than buying drinks on the ship and we can make them the way we like them.

Our solution is to purchase a couple of bottles of liquor from Bon Voyage and bring the mixers with us to make Bloody Marys, Margaritas, pina coladas, etc. The ones we buy don't contain alcohol and for sure are not as much liquid as a 12-pack of sodas and a case of water, which apparently are OK. We also bring on tabasco, worcestershire, etc., and mix our own drinks in our room. We find it is much cheaper than buying drinks on the ship and we can make them the way we like them.

are you serious? :confused:

how well do you plan to tip them? you may as well by the liquor from the BV dept...

I purchased a bottle through room service aboard the Destiny on day 4 of 5 day after depleting my stash(brought through Port Miami with no problem). Also purchased $400 worth photos on this cruise(wife) as well as my share of drinks from the bar(me). Point is:confused::confused::confused::confused:I am not sure, but if you smuggle, so be it, if not I am still gonna enjoy myself. To each his/her own.

You are absolutely correct, the X-ray machine cannot distinguish what type of liquid you have in a container your suitcase, let alone even detect if there is liquid in the container.

Wrong. Google "Kromek Colour X-Ray" and you'll find out the company is making a mint with their new technology. Here's one news story.

The direct quote from that article is "The company has developed a machine that can tell the difference between vodka or water in a bottle and a clear chemical explosive disguised as a drink."

However... I think that must be read as "The company has developed a machine that can tell the difference between [vodka or water in a bottle] and [a clear chemical explosive disguised as a drink]." I doubt it can tell vodka from water but it will find bottled liquids - even inside clothing or boots. You might fool it by wrapping them with tin foil or something else metallic that would deflect the x-rays - but that might raise other suspicions.

Why discriminate with the booze? If CCL sells it onboard, you should not be allowed to bring it onboard. You should be forced to purchase it on the ship. Clothes? Where should it end? Oxygen?

Maybe CCL should start charging full price for 4 people per cabin instead of giving discounts to families for 3rd and 4th guests. Maybe the CEO needs a paycut?!!!

I hate it that one group of people (drinkers, smugglers etc) are penalized and have to make up for the company's lost revenue. Truth is, the cruiseline is losing money still if people bring on their own cokes for their kids. So why is that allowed?

No, I don't want to hear smarty pants remarks like "because it's against the rules that's why you shouldn't smuggle booze" duh! I know that. I'd love to see the ban on some of these other things like sunblock, film, wine, smokes etc. I wonder what will be said then.

It's ridiculous!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. it's not fair, i don't like it, and if i can't smuggle my booze onboard, i will go to AI resorts. I fly for free. I choose to pay to cruise.

Go ahead CCL, nickel and dime me to death (or highway rob me) and I will not be returning after my currently booked cruise.:mad:

Hmmmmm....sounds like another disgruntled smuggler having a pout.....

Poor thing....will have to actually PAY for their booze like the rest of us....

Enjoy your land based vacations.....

Archived