kantishna roadhouse vs. denali backcountry lodge?

rjm11

Has anyone stayed in either the Kantishna Roadhouse or the Denali Backcountry Lodge? Can you recommend one vs. the other? Cost appears to be the same. Both include meals, transport to/from, similar activities, and of course both are expensive! Any opinions? Is it worth it to stay deep in the park for a couple nights?

I booked Kantishna because we are only staying two days. Denali Backcountry requires a three day stay and you have to stay the nights of the week that they have grouped together. That said, if that were not the case I probably would have booked Denali Backcountry based on Trip Advisor Reviews--though I did not talk to them.

The staff at Kantishna were very accomodating and let me move my arrival up by a day when I decided I wanted an extra day elsewhere in the intenerary. We got a discount for booking early as well--don't know if they are still offering it.

I will be interested in finding out if there is anyone who has stayed at both who can compare.

We stayed at Kantishna Roadhouse a number of years ago and were very pleased with it. Never having stayed at Denali Backcountry Lodge, I have no basis for comparison.

The Kantishna Roadhouse accommodations looked brand new at the time we were there. We stayed in comfortable, modern cabins, spotlessly clean, attractively furnished and decorated. The meals were very good. All activities were included in the price except for sightseeing flights over Mt. McKinley, which were available at extra charge.

The mountain was "out" and we got to see it each day. We have heard that viewing is generally better from the west side of the park than from the east side. It was great being able to get away from the mobs of tour groups on the east side of the park.

One of the things we liked best was having the roomy private bus for the long trips through the park. Our bus was half empty, enabling us to move about freely and switch from side to side as wildlife was spotted. We had more time to spend viewing wildlife than the park buses because they need to make the entire round trip the same day while the private bus is traveling only one way.

We went to Denali backcountry. The cabins were nice but it really is tucked WAY back in there. You can NOT see Denali from there. They do run a shuttel up each day so you can see if Denali is out. My biggest dislike and will NOT return to them is the "hippie" food they served. Getting food that far back in is problematic. However the strange blend of veggies and meager meat was not really suited to this carnivore. Oh well..... I would love to try the roadhouse if we go back in there again.

The ride in sure does take you past even more wildlife.

One of the things we liked best was having the roomy private bus for the long trips through the park. Our bus was half empty, enabling us to move about freely and switch from side to side as wildlife was spotted. We had more time to spend viewing wildlife than the park buses because they need to make the entire round trip the same day while the private bus is traveling only one way.

Same result can be achieved with shuttle buses - just hop off a bus if you want more time to view/photograph wildlife and hop on the next bus to continue your journey. I do it all the time.

We went to Denali backcountry. The cabins were nice but it really is tucked WAY back in there. You can NOT see Denali from there. They do run a shuttel up each day so you can see if Denali is out.
By the way, the mountain was not visible from the Kantishna Roadhouse either. They kept a notice posted to let people know when it was out and ran a shuttle back and forth whenever anyone wanted to go see it. We could take their guided hikes, or go off on our own and have the shuttle pick us up later.

I recall hearing about another place to stay out in the Kantishna area where you see the mountain right from their property, but don't remember its name. That was some time ago, so by now there may be even more places. I hope they have not built up the area too much though because we loved that it was such a remote location.

It has been a while since we were there. I do remember some cabins up on the hill side that were some sort of "resort" as well. However they were out of site on price it seemed. I do remember that Kantishna RH. was also not in sight of Mt. Denali. Much closer to the view point though.

Same result can be achieved with shuttle buses - just hop off a bus if you want more time to view/photograph wildlife and hop on the next bus to continue your journey. I do it all the time.
Those who have done both will immediately recognize that they are very different experiences. When hopping off a shuttle bus in the park to continue on the next one, you need to gather all your belongings and carry them off with you. The shuttle bus goes on its way without you and you are left behind on your own out in the middle of nowhere with only an approximate idea of what time the next bus will come along. While waiting for it, you remain outdoors the entire time exposed to the elements.

That may not be a problem for one who does it "all the time" but many cruise passengers would feel extremely uncomfortable being left behind that way in an unfamiliar, remote wilderness area. You would also need to be concerned about budgeting your time in order to complete the round trip and make it all the way back to the east entrance on the same day, unless you plan to camp out somewhere overnight.

The private bus, by contrast, waits for you throughout all the stops. Comfortable seating and shelter from sun, wind or rain are readily available at all times. Passengers can leave their belongings on the bus whenever they get off. The driver/guide stays with you to provide commentary about each place, answer questions, and render first aid if necessary.

Since the private bus is only going one way, there are no concerns about sightseeing time constraints. We could get much closer to the wild animals, watching them for extended periods of time while comfortably seated on the bus, than would have been possible to do safely if attempted on foot.

My husband and I did the Denali Backcountry Lodge and loved it. I thought the food was good and we enjoyed being out beyond everything. We had private bathroom in the room which was important to me. I don't like to use an outhouse "grew up with one" and I really like a nice hot shower. The people were pleasant and the location can't be beat. Great experience!

I booked Kantishna because we are only staying two days. Denali Backcountry requires a three day stay and you have to stay the nights of the week that they have grouped together. That said, if that were not the case I probably would have booked Denali Backcountry based on Trip Advisor Reviews--though I did not talk to them.

I believe you are confused with Camp Denali. Denali Backcountry Lodge and Kantishna Roadhouse both have daily arrivals and departures. Camp Denali has a more rigid schedule. Neither the Roadhouse or DBL has a view of the mountain. Camp Denali does, but cabins have no indoor plumbing or electricity. All do meals, but I believe Kantishna Roadhouse allows you to opt out (not many alternatives available, however). I would not recommend less than three nights in Denali in any case, as the trip in and out each take most of a day.

I stayed three nights at the Denali Backcountry Lodge last July and had a wonderful time. While it was great, I would have opted for Camp Denali if we could have accommodated their schedule. See the pictures linked from my itinerary page linked below.

Thanks for sharing your itinerary and photos with us, msd360. I just got the chance to look at your slideshow.

Anyone considering a trip to Alaska can get a nice preview from your itinerary and photos. I was impressed by the thorough job you did compiling that detailed itinerary list with all the references to sources of information. You certainly put a lot of time and thought into planning this trip.

Viewing your photos of Kantishna, Denali, Wonder Lake, the moose, Reflection Pond, the McKinley Explorer train ride, Kenai Fjords, the humpbacks, the eagles, the glaciers, the cruise ports and all the rest brought back wonderful memories and makes me eager to go back and do it all again.

I was surprised by the Kantishna Roadhouse photo, which shows more and bigger buildings than I remember from the time we stayed there. I hope they don't build it up any more.

The view from your stateroom window alone could be enough to raise second thoughts for anyone considering an inside cabin. Just imagine someone pondering the decision: When I wake up in the morning would I rather see a solid wall or a scene like this one?

http://picasaweb.google.com/msdeason/Alaska#slideshow/5357606535317204226

The Glacier Express is the same catamaran we were on when we rode through Kenai Fjords to Holgate Glacier, but for us that was on a different trip from the one where we went to Kantishna. You managed to pack as many attractions into one Alaska trip as took us two or three trips to cover.

Archived