Volendam Thermal Suite questions

KauaiBruce

We will be heading out on the Volendam on Feb 17 for an 11 night cruise. We plan to get the thermal suite package and I was curious what it is costing these days. Prices quoted on these boards are all over the place on different cruises.

Does anyone know how many passes they sell? Can we go right there and buy them the second we get on the ship? We have a 4 sea days and two port days we do not get into port until the afternoons so I know I will spend a lot of time there. This is a chartered party cruise (no one under 21 on board) with lots of late night parties and those stone benches are great for recovery in the mornings.

I am also curious of what is in there on this class ship. It appears there are the benches, nice showers, and steam and sauna rooms. Is there also a jacuzzi type thing? It is hard to tell from the directions. I know there is not the big one like on their other class ships.

We plan to check in as early as possible. Our hotel wants us out at 11am and there is a 1pm boarding time. We will head to the pier then and get into line. I also am assuming the porters will take our luggage early like they have on other cruises.

Any tips on the Auckland port would also be appreciated. Once we are checked in and have our thermal spa passes purchased we will be heading back out and getting some bottled water and a few mixers for the Vodka I am having delivered to the cabin.

Thanks.

And if I may piggyback on your question . . . .

Can a spa pass be shared? I'm very likely to buy a pass for the week and use it enthusiatically. The husband is only mildly interested - he will likely just use the free hot tub or nap. Could he take my pass when I'm not using it?

It would depend on the staff but I know other cruise lines do not allow sharing. It is linked to your card. It is possible a friendly staff would look the other way. I know that I would not be amused if I could not get a bench because someone borrowing a pass is taking a 4 hour nap on it.

We came off the Volendam mid January. We were able to buy the packages the day we boarded. They also seemed to sell day passes for $20 during the voyage. I am not sure if it was because there wasn't much uptake or if that is normal.

I didn't actually buy a pass (darn) but did the tour and tried out the lounges (awesome). There were four or five lounges and a hot tub in the corner which looked to be the same as the poolside ones. I don't remember the other features I am afraid.

Also, boarded in Auckland and they started boarding around 11.30am. We weren't able to get into our cabins much later but were able to wander the ship and have a buffet lunch. There is a 711 type shop just at the end of the pier you could buy water from and there is a supermarket/grocery store in town but I can't remember how to get there.

Thanks Aussiedisneyfan. It is good to get it verified that there is a jacuzzi in the thermal area. I found some stores on googleEarth so water, etc. should be easy.

I have to get the pass early because those always sell out on the charters I take.

We also came off the Volendam in January having boarded in Auckland (our home town). We joined the line to board at approx. 11.30am, there were plenty of porters taking the luggage, we then passed through several security checks but the whole process from dropping luggage and actually being on the ship took less than 30mins. If you have sailed with HAL before there is a lunch in MDR for Mariners (ask at check in for a pass) or of course the Lido will be open.

There is a supermarket called Countdown (green building), when you leave the wharf and emerge near the roadway turn left and walk along the waterfront, I guess the walk will take about 20 mins, the supermarket is on the righthand side of the road, set back a bit. Bottled water and mixers will be VERY much cheaper than buying at a small convenience store.

Hope this helps.

Kiwi1, I am curious what time HAL told you the boarding time was. It sounds like the 1pm they told us is when you can get into the staterooms. We are likely to head to the ship at 11 when we are kicked out of the hotel anyway.

THANKS for the tips.

Kiwi1, I am curious what time HAL told you the boarding time was. It sounds like the 1pm they told us is when you can get into the staterooms. We are likely to head to the ship at 11 when we are kicked out of the hotel anyway.

THANKS for the tips.

Our tickets also said boarding at 1pm but there were a lot of people already boarding when we arrived at 11.30 so obviously they don't stick to 1 p.m. We headed to our stateroom after lunch about 1.30pm, it was all ready, can't remember what time our luggage arrived but maybe an hour later.

Archived