Vancouver's Whistler Mountaineer Train

I haven't taken the train but it will be spectacular as it hugs the coastline going up Howe Sound to Squamish and then climbs up through rugged Cheakamus Canyon and pass Brandywine Falls and into Whistler - one option that is popular is the train ride one way and the bus the other - with the bus you will get a different view of the canyon and the ride along Howe Sound is as scenic as anything - they may even stop at Shannon Falls - you will see them from the highway but you might not see them from the train as it is down along the water.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Yes will try and enjoy the Games - going to the final dress rehearsal of the opening ceremonies this afternoon - one of the perks in being a volunteer.

The Land and Sea tour would be fine also as there are lots of places to stop - Shannon Falls, Museum of Mining, Murrin Lake, Squamish Chief lookout, Alice Lake Park, Brohm Lake, Tantalus Viewpoint, Brandywine Falls, then Whistler.

Some where on my blog I have a photo essay of one of my trips up the Sea to Sky - will see if I can find it and post a link.

Cheers

Dennis

Vancouver was on the travel channel last night. It was so beautiful to see all the sights and makes me want to go there. Has anyone ridden this train? It goes from Whistler to Vancouver and back. It looks so neat!

We are taking it in June and can't wait

Wish I was there now, I want to buy something from a place called HBC but they will not sell and ship over the internet , they said I would need to come in person

I will explain it this way - while the Olympic store is in the Bay building in downtown Vancouver it is actually the Game organizers who have rented the space but no need to worry you should be able to buy online through the VANOC website - here's a link:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/store/index.html

The lineups in the store have been worse than Boxing day for the last week - they have 22 cash registers going full time and the lineups are still long.

If you are thinking of buying the red mittens - don't put it off - they have sold more than 2 million - originally they thought 1 million would be a enough and have now brought in the final last large shipment.

There prices I believe are quoted in CDN $$$ - about a 5 - 7 % discount for US - note you will have to use a VISA card only - no Mastercard or Amex

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I will explain it this way - while the Olympic store is in the Bay building in downtown Vancouver it is actually the Game organizers who have rented the space but no need to worry you should be able to buy online through the VANOC website - here's a link:

The lineups in the store have been worse than Boxing day for the last week - they have 22 cash registers going full time and the lineups are still long.

If you are thinking of buying the red mittens - don't put it off - they have sold more than 2 million - originally they thought 1 million would be a enough and have now brought in the final last large shipment.

There prices I believe are quoted in CDN $$$ - about a 5 - 7 % discount for US - note you will have to use a VISA card only - no Mastercard or Amex

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis the items I am looking for are not on that site, I want items that are on the 5th floor from team Netherlands.

The mittens are sold out. from what I am seening on that site.

Interesting because when I checked earlier they appeared to be available - I know that they are available at one of the Zeller's stores - owned by the Bay because I was in one yesterday and they had stacks of them. Perhaps they have so many orders they are falling behind and have stopped shipping that item - I suspect that as the Games continue the Bay will bring in more from their stores across the country.

Do you know if it is strictly that they can't sell to you because they can't ship to the States or what - I suspect that the Netherlands Olympic Committee is behind selling of their items and have just rented space in the store - I am only about 7 blocks from their store and it is on the way to my gym so I can do some sleuthing for you during the week - rather than giving me all the details here - email me at yvrcruiser@gmail.com

Off to Lunar New Year celebration within the hour

Cheers

Dennis

Do you know if it is strictly that they can't sell to you because they can't ship to the States or what - I suspect that the Netherlands Olympic Committee is behind selling of their items and have just rented space in the store - I am only about 7 blocks from their store and it is on the way to my gym so I can do some sleuthing for you during the week - rather than giving me all the details here - email me at yvrcruiser@gmail.com

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis

Email sent

TheMiz

the Miz - have some info for you and will send it to you later after I watch the Gold medal presentation live from BC Place.

They still had the red mitts in stock around noon today.

Yes it Visa or Visa debit or cash only for the merchandise as these clothing items are being sold through Vanoc and VISA is the offical card of the Games.

Cheers and GO TEAMS GO !!!

Dennis

the Miz - have some info for you and will send it to you later after I watch the Gold medal presentation live from BC Place.

They still had the red mitts in stock around noon today.

Dennis

Cool I look forward to hearing from you

TheMiz AT GeorgeMizer DOT Com

Hi Lindseesmom - This thread got taken over by red mitts & other olympic souvenirs. So I'll get back to the Whistler Mountaineer. I've taken the return train trip as well as driven the Sea to Sky Hwy.

As Dennis mentioned the trip is spectacular and if you go by train one way and drive the other you will see two different perspectives of the area. Saying that, I thoroughly enjoyed taking the train both ways.

The only problem I had with the train trip was I did it in one day, and while it was a wonderful day, I would have liked more time in Whistler. If this is your first visit to Whistler and if you have the time, I'd recommend staying overnight in Whistler.

Hope you get to visit this part of the world.

Hi Lindseesmom - This thread got taken over by red mitts & other olympic souvenirs. So I'll get back to the Whistler Mountaineer. I've taken the return train trip as well as driven the Sea to Sky Hwy.

As Dennis mentioned the trip is spectacular and if you go by train one way and drive the other you will see two different perspectives of the area. Saying that, I thoroughly enjoyed taking the train both ways.

The only problem I had with the train trip was I did it in one day, and while it was a wonderful day, I would have liked more time in Whistler. If this is your first visit to Whistler and if you have the time, I'd recommend staying overnight in Whistler.

Hope you get to visit this part of the world.

How long is the train ride ?

Here's there web site - it will give you some ideas of how long - it's says 3 hours - it's about a 2 hour drive without stops so it is not that much longer.

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_CA/routes_and_packages/whistler_sea_to_sky_climb

Cheers

Dennis

Here's there web site - it will give you some ideas of how long - it's says 3 hours - it's about a 2 hour drive without stops so it is not that much longer.

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_CA/routes_and_packages/whistler_sea_to_sky_climb

Cheers

Dennis

We are booked in June but never really understood the time frames

All I know is we get picked up at the Hampton at 7:15 am and dropped back off around 6:30 pm

Archived