how's the food these days?

bonsat

Here's the part I don't understand........ why in the world would anyone ask a relative "stranger" how the food is on a particular cruise ship?

In the first place, even if you ordered the EXACT same meal this week, that someone else did last week, there is no possible way it is going to be the same. These meals are not pre-measured and prepared by robots!!! Even the exact same cook cannot perfectly replicate meal after meal after meal.

Even more importantly, EVERYONE views food differently. As another New York poster mentioned, we have access to some of the finest chefs and restaurants in the world so may tend to be a little spoiled in the fine dining category. Even so, I know people who think RED LOBSTER and OLIVE GARDEN have the best food around!! :p

the creme brulee with chocolate ganache. Never do the dessert thing but I could have easily lived on it alone!! lol

OMG- Do they have this on all the ships? is it in the MDR or one of the specialty dinning rooms? I LOVE creme brulee & everything is better with Chocolate on it! LOL

I believe it is on all NCL ships served in the MDR's. Personally I think it should be their signature dessert.

It is the best creme brulee with a chocolate genache at the bottom. Yummy, I've died and gone to heaven! Next time I see it on the menu, I'm starting with dessert and going from there! lol

are the menus in the free dining rooms the same every day with just one entree changed per day or are they entirely different each day?

Bill

The majority of the fleet is still serving a menu that changes everyday with several different appetizer, entree and dessert choices each day.

Late spring 2009 NCL instituted a trial on the Dawn. It evolved over several months but now seems in final form. There are certain selections that are available everyday (never changing) as well as a few daily specials.

Apparently the Dawn's menus have now been introduced on the Pearl. I have no idea if this is now a 2 ship trial or whether it means NCL is beginning to roll out the new menus fleetwide.

Also on the Dawn, the DR lunch menu is now the same each day. Quite expanded & we found several tasty selections.

it's the 14 day northern europe cruise, and it is $500 off ncl's price plus $150 obc.

we first started sailing on the dawn out of nyc early in 2004 when freestyle began. we loved the macadamia crusted shrimp, the blueberry slump, the crispy duck, the presidents dinners (floating islands). went back a second time 5 months later and we were not disappointed ... the food was still delicious. went of the spirit 7 months later. same menu, different quality. went on the jewel a year later, what a difference. instead of duck, there was chicken, chicken and more chicken. and dry turkey once. instead of chateau briand, there was beef stroganoff. disgusting. i once ordered a pot pie and got pastry with soup inside. my husband tried a vegetarian dinner. we still don't know what it was. we tried the mexican food. now i love spice, but this was truly inedible. tried the chinese...give me a break. stopped cruising on ncl. switched to HAL, celebrity, princess and costa. food was great on all of them. but no freestyle dining and the people on HAL were mostly in wheelchairs and on oxygen. there was nothing to do all day on sea days but read and eventually fall asleep. tried ncl again. loved the cruise, couldn't stand the food.

i read on these boards that the dawn had a new and improved menu. was wondering if it applied to the sun as well. and if so, was it better. and if so, could i read it for myself.

i knew i'd get flamed for my post, but i am a new yorker who is used to fine dining and an avid cruiser and food is important to me. i don't eat much so i like to enjoy every morsel. stuffing myself with the delicious pastries that remain excellent despite the decline in quality of the rest of the meals is not a solution. please don't tell me that if i don't like the food on ncl, i should stop cruising. i have not stopped and continue to take at least 2 cruises a year albeit on other lines.

Hi Bonnie,

How are you, Arnie & family? It's been a long time since I saw your name over here on the NCL boards.;):)

Unlike you, we've continued to sail on NCL steadily since we met you guys back in Aug. 2003 (I believe it was or was it 2004?). Have seen many menu changes over the years. But like johnql said, frankly, Bob and I have been quite satisfied with both the DR and specialty menus on ship after ship. I do remember back a few years when there were cutbacks & we did see the difference (things like rigatoni w/pine nuts for dinner menu seemed to lack quality and the famous oxtail that volumes were written about here on CC).

But as I recall, even on that first cruise, food was not a highpoint for you. You've now been very satisfied with the food on other lines you've been on, so it might be a very big letdown again since you seem to have been disappointed more than a few times by NCL.

So I really agree with Canadian Twosome that you need to weigh the great deal/price/itin (fantastic itin, isn't it?) against your misgivings about the food. Unfortunately the Sun doesn't have the wonderful action station setups of the newer ships so the buffet may not be quite as varied or extensive.

My advice would be to do a search of the recent menus being served on the majority of ships and see what you think. Ask yourself if you would be happy with trying it or whether you would find it "inedible" again.

One caveat: NCL has introduced completely new menus on the Dawn (and now the Pearl), so between now & when you sail, things could change. No idea what plans there are for the Sun.

OT, Bob and I have seen the incomparable Pamala Stanley for the last few summers at Rehobeth Beach. She hasn't been on NCL entertaining for a long long time.:( I remember how much we all enjoyed getting to know her way back in '03.

Come back & tell us what you guys decide. Good luck & happy cruising!

I'v sailed w/ NCL 3 times over the past couple of years and have enjoyed the food. I definitely wouldn't say it's inedible, but it's not generally gourmet fare either (at least in the MDR).

Sit down main dining room dinners were hit and miss. The entrees were mostly bland and boring (beef stroghanoff was like a second rate Lean Cuisine), though some were decent. Nothing spectacular though, and apart from the surprisingly good mahi mahi I am having trouble remembering any of it specifically only a week later.

--Premium restaurants had better everything (apps, salads, service) but the steak was pretty horrible, even with a $25 surcharge. Very disappointing.

--Deserts were pretty bad for the most part at all of the above-a few were quite decent, but nothing approached outstanding.

--One other comment-the baked goods were mostly terrible-all the rolls are soft like wonderbread, even the rolls that look like they should be hard rolls.

In short the food was tolerable, occasionally good but more often ho-hum. Probably once a day on average I just didn't eat what I picked and set it aside or went back for something else because it was just tooo lousy to finish..

If you like chicken, NCL is for you. On the Jewel in Dec, they had chicken everyday in the buffet at the carving station. Chicken must be cheap. The sandwich bar was good with subs also available. Pizza was BAD.

Overall, we found the food to be just average. It seemed that there was a significant lack of seasoning, and many of the selections were very "middle of the road". We really wished for some more adventurous options in the dining rooms. We understand that their client base may be very middle of the road, but there should be at least one option per day for the more adventurous.

We did try the buffet for dinner one night as we weren't feeling like going to the MDR. To say we were disappointed would be an understatement. We decided not to make any further attempts at the buffet for dinner.

One thing that we did notice throughout the trip was that virtually all of the fish courses were overcooked to a moderate or severe degree, removing most of the appeal they could have had.

Baked goods and breads were hit and miss. One day they seemed almost "day old" and others they were tasty and fresh.

Deserts were acceptable, but never incredible. Again, there just seemed to be an unwillingness or inability to take it to the next level.

At the the end of the day, we would take another NCL trip, but we'll certainly be looking at other lines as well, with an eye towards the food quality and options that we can discover.

I'd consider food to be very important on the lenght of cruise you're looking at. Yes the quotes are only the negatives but most seem to mirror your experience so why believe anything has changed? This cruise will probably be a once in a lifetime experience, so why chance it?

Food really is subjective, huh?

I will definitely agree that NCL's food is not fantastic. It is not gourmet, nor is it intended to be. I've been on 4 NCL cruises in the last 5 years and am taking my 6th this April to Bermuda.

I also find that a lot of the food is somehow different. It's like being in a foreign country-- you think you're getting what you're used to at home, but that pasta sauce just isn't....right somehow. And why are the hamburgers red?

I always find something good for breakfast. Lunch is hit or miss since I like to stay in the sun, and dinner can either be delicious or just unappealing in every sense of the word.

I've always found the specialty restaurants to be much better (eaten at 3 of them), though I've never done steak, which seems to be what a lot of people want.

My advice is to eat in port. It's so nice to get off the ship for a meal and, in my opinion, is recharging. A big old plate of nachos or a fine meal in port can be just what you need to be excited about the dining room on ship. That's always been my experience.

You're going to get tired of the same food no matter where you go, so might as well do what you can to shake things up :)

Recently on the Dawn and the Gem with a lot of finicky New York food critics. Your exposure to fine dining might cost you. NCL is trying to make 2000+ people happy. There were 300+ nursing home folks on the Gem in January I hardly think spicey, highly seasoned food would be high on their food list. Try the specialty restaurants, they are more innovative. I find most of the complaints aout food coming from meateaters, not from the poultry and fish eaters. In fact I heard raves about the fish almost every night-the salmon is offered daily and was always well received. $$$$ talks, it sounds this northern european cruise is terrific value, much better than any other line. Spend your $ in the ports on food. Have fun!:DBarb

Here's the part I don't understand........ why in the world would anyone ask a relative "stranger" how the food is on a particular cruise ship?

In the first place, even if you ordered the EXACT same meal this week, that someone else did last week, there is no possible way it is going to be the same. These meals are not pre-measured and prepared by robots!!! Even the exact same cook cannot perfectly replicate meal after meal after meal.

Even more importantly, EVERYONE views food differently. As another New York poster mentioned, we have access to some of the finest chefs and restaurants in the world so may tend to be a little spoiled in the fine dining category. Even so, I know people who think RED LOBSTER and OLIVE GARDEN have the best food around!! :p

You are so right, heck, we all know Las Vegas has some outstanding dining just like NYC and a few years ago the "people choice" survey in Vegas did choose OLIVE GARDEN the best Italian food in town. I just laughed. I know for us, not living in NY or Chic our idea of good Italian food is very different than yours and your idea of a good bar-b-que is different than ours.

asking about the food is one thing, putting too much into the responses is another. I was raised in Ca, lived in TX and NM. Too me, good food should be spicey, to others, even the hint of spice is too much. Cruise ships do the best they can, considering they are cooking for over 2000 tastes.

An example of differences, the person who mentioned the breakfast buffet was ok, but offered the same thing everyday: this is true, but they offer almost anything and everything imaginable, so there isn't much left...of course it is the same each day.

Nita

The majority of the fleet is still serving a menu that changes everyday with several different appetizer' date=' entree and dessert choices each day.

Late spring 2009 NCL instituted a trial on the Dawn. It evolved over several months but now seems in final form. There are certain selections that are available everyday (never changing) as well as a few daily specials.

Apparently the Dawn's menus have now been introduced on the Pearl. I have no idea if this is now a 2 ship trial or whether it means NCL is beginning to roll out the new menus fleetwide.

Also on the Dawn, the DR lunch menu is now the same each day. Quite expanded & we found several tasty selections.[/quote']

Thaks for the reply. I appreciate it.:)

Bill

Quote: Here's the part I don't understand........ why in the world would anyone ask a relative "stranger" how the food is on a particular cruise ship?

Agreed, that everyones tastes differs but I know for a fact that I'll be looking out for that creme brule because I learned about it here. I understand that the food is done in mass quanities in the MDR and if you want fine dinning you can't expect it unless you pay the price at the speciality restaurants. What I learn here prepares my mind set to not expect 5star in the MDR and to be happy just cruising and being able to eat 24 hours a day if I choose. Afer all, someone else is cooking my meals, serving it and doing the dishes and I know I won't go hungry.

PS ~ Is Lobster and prime rib served in the MDR or only available in the speciality restaurants?

I'd consider food to be very important on the lenght of cruise you're looking at. Yes the quotes are only the negatives but most seem to mirror your experience so why believe anything has changed? This cruise will probably be a once in a lifetime experience, so why chance it?

To put this in the proper perspective, you quoted four negative posts. What about the other two thousand plus people who apparently liked the food well enough that they didn't complain about it?

Even I wouldn't call NCL food "Inedible". It's just not up to par with the other major cruise lines. That's why NCL has the reputation of having the worst food at sea.

Only on NCL do you hear the word "subjective" so much. When the food is actually good, you don't have to find adjectives like that! If good food is that important to you on vacation then I would stay away until you hear better customer feedback.

I've sailed w/ NCL 3 times over the past couple of years and have enjoyed the food. I definitely wouldn't say it's inedible, but it's not generally gourmet fare either (at least in the MDR). I haven't noticed a significant shift in the quality of the menu, so if you didn't enjoy the food as of a year ago you'll likely be disappointed again, especially on a 12-day itinerary.

That said, if you can deal with the food, the Baltic itinerary (if that's the offer you were given) is a great cruise, and even better if you got a great deal on it.

I didn't realize I was being negative; I even noted I enjoyed the food. I suppose it wasn't 100% positive, but I just felt the food in the MDR wouldn't qualify as gourmet fare, but in my mind, very little food anywhere fits that bill. If you look below, you'll see I enjoy it enough to have 3 more trips booked w/ NCL.

To put this in the proper perspective, you quoted four negative posts. What about the other two thousand plus people who apparently liked the food well enough that they didn't complain about it?

--There are also thousands of unhappy people that won't bother to post negative comments.

--Just look through all of the NCL postings and the majority of the negative posts center around the food quality. You won't find the same amount of negativity on the Carnival and Royal Carribean sites.

--Yes when people are satisified they rarely post, but when people are dissatisfied they do, and there are way too many people unhappy with the food on NCL.(hey NCL are you listening?) Or you can just keep telling yourself if I search long enough eventually I'll find something good to eat.

--Personally the reason I cruise is so that I don't have to worry about these details, I want to be taken care of.

--There are also thousands of unhappy people that won't bother to post negative comments.

--Just look through all of the NCL postings and the majority of the negative posts center around the food quality. You won't find the same amount of negativity on the Carnival and Royal Carribean sites.

--Yes when people are satisified they rarely post, but when people are dissatisfied they do, and there are way too many people unhappy with the food on NCL.(hey NCL are you listening?) Or you can just keep telling yourself if I search long enough eventually I'll find something good to eat.

--Personally the reason I cruise is so that I don't have to worry about these details, I want to be taken care of.

ok, let me say put it this way and you can take it for what it is worth: I am considered a blue ribbon cook, for whatever that is worth: my love along with bridge and travel is cooking and I don't mean simple, none exciting cooking, but gourmet or close..I enjoy eathing as well and have had recipes printed many times and won a few contests so I do know food: I am saying this only to explain my background: NCL has food as good as most mass marketed lines, no better, but certainly no worse. Use the term "subjective" or whatever, but don't kid yourself. Maybe their food isn't to your liking, maybe you haven't cruise NCL recently, I don't know but the food is just what one can expect when chefs are trying to satisfy 2000 plus. As for comparing to RCI, it is just as good, if not better. I haven't cruised Carnival recently so will not compent at this time. When was the last time you experienced NCL food?

Nita

On our recent Spirit cruise (1/31/10) the MDR menu was as follows:

Everyday had a list of 2-3 apps, 4-5 entrees, and 2-3 desserts that were "always available".

In addition, each day had its own unique menu as well, with 3-5 apps, 5 entrees and 4 or so desserts.

We never found ourselves with nothing we wanted, though I did dine off the "always" section twice for dinner (once after my wild mushroom risotto was poorly cooked, causing me to move to a different entree). I guess our biggest disappointment was that we were hoping for more flavorful food in general, even if it was just one of the 5 entrees... perhaps we just chose poorly all trip.

Again, we will certainly consider NCL in the future, it wasn't a cruise killer, just a departure from what we hoped.

THOUSANDS ?? Your statements are very contradictory. You say when people are dissatisfied they post, but thousands of unhappy people won't bother. Which is correct ?

If you can support your statements with facts, I would like to see it. If not, your post will be considered as a figment of your imagination.

The food I have had on NCL is as good or better than any I have had on any cruise line I have sailed since the 70's.

Untrue posts are counterproductive to the purpose of these boards, and that is to provide facts and useful information.

Even I wouldn't call NCL food "Inedible". It's just not up to par with the other major cruise lines. That's why NCL has the reputation of having the worst food at sea.

Only on NCL do you hear the word "subjective" so much. When the food is actually good, you don't have to find adjectives like that! If good food is that important to you on vacation then I would stay away until you hear better customer feedback.

You are so right! My last cruise was on Celebrity. Of the six cruises I have been on the food and service was the worst. Not inedible but rather dull and watered down. I wasn't the only one complaining either. I don't go on NCL expecting great food, I did on Celebrity. I was so dissatified with that cruise that we cancelled one that we had booked when we got back. If you are expecting gourmet meals book Crystal!

Well stated! NCL's food is just bad to mediocre for the most part, with the occasional pleasant surprise. Wiithout a doubt, food quality is THE single biggest thing that puts NCL below a step down from Celebrity and Carnival in my mind.

BTW, I would take Olive Garden and Red Lobster over NCL MDR food 4 out of 5 times, and that is a sad commentary!

Well stated! NCL's food is just bad to mediocre for the most part, with the occasional pleasant surprise. Wiithout a doubt, food quality is THE single biggest thing that puts NCL below a step down from Celebrity and Carnival in my mind.

BTW, I would take Olive Garden and Red Lobster over NCL MDR food 4 out of 5 times, and that is a sad commentary!

I happen to totally disagree with your sad commentary. The food on NCL is as good or better than Celebrity. The many meals I have eaten on NCL have been excellent.

everybody to their own likes and dislikes, I certainly would never put Olive Garden or Dead Lobster ahead of any cruise ship...but if that is what makes you tick, oh well???

Nita

everybody to their own likes and dislikes, I certainly would never put Olive Garden or Dead Lobster ahead of any cruise ship...but if that is what makes you tick, oh well???

Nita

Um, yeah...obviously RL and OG do NOT make me tick...just that NCL even less so. It's more down at the Applebee's level when you are talking non-premium restaurants.

Anyone have a list of the free and the prices of the not free resturants on jewel, This is our first time on NCL and not sure what to expect as we have always liked the food in the main dinning rooms.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Archived