Chumley Bear Cruise Nov 2010

garyinftl

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate some advice. I'm thinking of booking the Nov '10 cruise, but as my partner HATES cruises, I'll be going solo. From the photos I've seen, the Chumley cruises look very couply - is this the sort of cruise a single man might enjoy?

Thanks

Mark

um well I'm a single man and I've enjoyed the last 2 tremendously.... there are a lot of couples but there are a lot of singles too...if I had to guess I'd say 70% couples and 30% singles? and there are some....single for the week fellas...like yourself...

Brian

Edited by bbenson

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate some advice. I'm thinking of booking the Nov '10 cruise, but as my partner HATES cruises, I'll be going solo. From the photos I've seen, the Chumley cruises look very couply - is this the sort of cruise a single man might enjoy?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark! I'm single and have been on Chumley the last two years and going this year - there are lots of couples but lots of singles too - you will make new friends right away!

OK, thanks for the advice guys. i'm in. It's a long long flight from the antipodes, but I'm sure it will be worth it!:)

Um I looked up the antipodes and yes, that's a very very long flight. wow! But aren't the antipodes uninhabited?

Edited by bbenson

I'm flattered that you looked it up! However, there is a difference between the antipodes - which I am from - and The Antipodes - which I am not. Back to those reference books!

well, wiki only lists one The Antipodes of any kind.... though it does give a nice definition of antipodes and gives a nice list of places that are antipodes of each other....so I'll just take your word for it.

Edited by bbenson

• 1 month later...

anyone else going? I will be travelling by myself, (I know how sad, right?) lol hoping to make new friends! Not really a bear myself, but met this group last year and had a blast! hoping to see some old friends and make some new ones.

Looking for any scuba divers that will be on this cruise and fun loving people!

Hope to hear from others going on this cruise

Mike

This Thread has been real quiet considering the group posts on the CBC Board. Anyone have any thoughts what they're doing in Port ? Checked out PoC Section in CC, Doesn't look like much in Roatan. :confused: .. Can't wait to get on board !!

anyone else going? I will be travelling by myself, (I know how sad, right?) lol hoping to make new friends! Not really a bear myself, but met this group last year and had a blast! hoping to see some old friends and make some new ones.

Looking for any scuba divers that will be on this cruise and fun loving people!

Hope to hear from others going on this cruise

Mike

Welcome Mike,

I'm traveling by myself too, I don't think that's sad at all! Also a scuba diver though whoafully out of practice, haven't been in about 5 years.

Glad you've joined us this year and hope you enjoy yourself again. And you don't have to be a bear or bearish or bear chaser or any such....you just have to be friendly and ready for fun!

Brian

Edited by bbenson

This Thread has been real quiet considering the group posts on the CBC Board. Anyone have any thoughts what they're doing in Port ? Checked out PoC Section in CC, Doesn't look like much in Roatan. :confused: .. Can't wait to get on board !!

Roatan is a small port and not very well developed... there is some shopping but it can all be done in an hour or so.... I'm definitely doing the group excrusion here or maybe scuba diving IF i feel comfortable about it.

As for the rest not sure... Cozumel will probably be my shopping day. Still not sure how I feel about Grand Caymen, I know their stance on homosexuality has softened but still remember them as antigay so not sure if I will get off the ship or not..... its a battle I'm fighting to decide.

hey brian thanks for the welcome! I was just kidding about the travelling by myself part.. I am a fun loving guy that can and will make friends along the way, even if it is with a tree or a wall LOL..

Care to rekindle your scuba diving adventures? We could do a shore dive in Grand cayman to get your feet wet again. If not, I am sure we can find things other things in common for fun!

Mike

My partner Mike and I have booked one of the Princess excursions for Cozumel -- it's called "Mexican Cuisine - Cooking and Tasting" in which you learn how to cook some Mexican stuff, then eat it, and there is some time for the beach. There were only a few spots left when I booked it on-line at Princess' website last night. It should be fun -- it involves eating, what's not to be fun?

We're having the same dilemma concerning Grand Cayman concerning their stance on gays due to the issues there several years back when they would not let a ship land with a gay charter group on it. I had heard they have relaxed that some, but I am sure the feelings still persist. And since finding it out that it's a tender port rather than a dock port, I think we will just stay on board.

At Roatan, I think we are going to play it by ear and maybe look into the ski lift that goes from the cruise center to the Mahogany Bay Beach. It looks like you can arrange that when you get there. See http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/

Looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone!

Gary and Mike, Fort Lauderdale

There was once a time when Atlantis was refused entry into the Port. That was in 1998. As a result, subsequently the British Government removed the Island Minister stating in part his actions concerning the denial on behalf of the Government was inappropriate.

2006- Atlantis again had Grand Cayman on their itinerary. There were a few protesters but according to the Caribbian News it turned into pretty much a non-event and there were even groups that welcomed them. Pretty extensive quotes also by Rich Campell, of Atlantis Events on the overall hospitality of the island.

2010- Atlantis again went to Grand Cayman this past January. Not a mention can be found about any types of protests, problems, etc... Not even a mention in the paper about the cruise arriving, at least nothing I could find. In fact there were a couple of YouTube Videos of the cruise including the Grand Cayman Stop. I'm sure if there was anything significant happening during the stop, someone would have put it on YouTube.

So IMHO more than a decade has passed since the transgression occurred and there is documented facts as to what has happened since. I have no qualms about visiting this beautiful island. We cannot and should not forget, but it is a new era.

Just another thought..I remember on one of my 1st Atlantis cruises going to St Thomas. While not overtly hostile, you could feel the tension, and the begrudging attitude of the islanders. Two years later I was back on St Thomas, another Atlantis, and I couldn't believe the number of shops that had rainbow stickers and some had flags on their doors and at their enterances. My thought was then, "yea, there comming down as soon as we leave". Subsequently, a couple of years later I had a chance to spend a week on the island. No groups or charters scheduled.. the stickers and some flags were still there, and were still there when we visited on last year's cruise.

Having said all this, I definitely would not go to Jamaica and I was really not too enthused about going to the Bahamas on last year's cruise. Brian, I don't remember if we talked about the "Christian Group" singing and chanting outside the cruise terminal or not but they certainly were less than welcoming and it would seem they wouldn't even have known our group was on board. Had a great day though with a group of us going to one of the local resort hotels on a day pass.

Just my thoughts for your consideration.

-Randy-

Hey guys!

I just registered for Chumley's Bear Cruise and I am really excited as it will be my first cruise and my first trip to the US.

My name is Dirk and I am from Cologne/Germany.

I have some questions. Maybe someone can help?

I am arriving from Germany at Miami Airport the day before at about 5.30 PM. I am planning to go to Fort Lauderdale directly from there and stay there for the night. Can anyone recommend any affordable hotel near the cruise port? And what is the best transfer from the airport to Fort Lauderdale? I think the taxi fares are around $100 which is way too expensive for me. :-)

Secondly I am wondering if everybody is going to attend the formal nights? If so, should I bring my own formal wear or is it ok to rent?

Last question... :-)

I am returning to Germany on Nov. 16th. So I can spend 3 more nights in Florida. Which place will be more interesting/more fun? Miami/Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale?

I tried to ask Paul from the travel agency by e-mail but he is somehow ignoring my questions on those matters. Don't know why ...

Thank you very much in advance for all help and tips.

Sorry for my poor English. :-)

Have a nice weekend!

Dirk.

I am arriving from Germany at Miami Airport the day before at about 5.30 PM. I am planning to go to Fort Lauderdale directly from there and stay there for the night. Can anyone recommend any affordable hotel near the cruise port? And what is the best transfer from the airport to Fort Lauderdale? I think the taxi fares are around $100 which is way too expensive for me. :-)

Secondly I am wondering if everybody is going to attend the formal nights? If so, should I bring my own formal wear or is it ok to rent?

Last question... :-)

I am returning to Germany on Nov. 16th. So I can spend 3 more nights in Florida. Which place will be more interesting/more fun? Miami/Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale?

Dirk.

First you can do a "super shuttle" not sure how much it is but it'll be less than a taxi.

secondly probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the guys do go to formal night. and yes its ok and can be convenient to rent. make sure you measure accurately for your sizes.

Miami/Miami Beach is a gay mecca....a twink gay mecca... if you're into muscle boys and latino men this would be your best bet in South Beach. If you want bears/leatherish type guys then Fort Lauderdale is your best bet...especially near WIlton Manors...

Welcome aboard!

I will never go to Jamiaca again.... As for Grand Caymen

Reli, don't forget the protestors when Rosie's R Family ship docked there a few years ago.

And don't forget not even 2 years ago two gay men were arrested in a night club for kissing. they were released after but were arrested and charged with lewd conduct

First you can do a "super shuttle" not sure how much it is but it'll be less than a taxi.

secondly probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the guys do go to formal night. and yes its ok and can be convenient to rent. make sure you measure accurately for your sizes.

Miami/Miami Beach is a gay mecca....a twink gay mecca... if you're into muscle boys and latino men this would be your best bet in South Beach. If you want bears/leatherish type guys then Fort Lauderdale is your best bet...especially near WIlton Manors...

Welcome aboard!

Thank you very much for answering, bbenson. I will check those opportunities. :-)