Mini suites - Sun Princess Info - Help me please!

Aussie TJE

We have had to cancel our cruise on the Diamond Princess (21st Feb) due to illness. We were very lucky that Princess had started contacting people for a move-over. We heard about this offer on this forum and contact our TA. She said she couldn't believe our luck, as they had just received the offer from Princess.

So we are going to cancel the Diamond and cruise on the Sun Princess on the 31st May for 21 nights. They are upgrading us from a balcony to a mini suite, giving us 50% of our cruise fare as an onboard credit (we get back what we don't spend). We have managed to get money back for accommodation, airfare etc, and I have just received an e-mail today from Virgin Blue with a sale on airfares from Adelaide - Perth for $109. It all seems to be falling into place and too good to be true.

We have never been on the Sun Princess and have never had a mini suite (a dream come true). I'd love some info from anyone who have been on the Sun Princess and some info on the mini suites. We even get to select which mini suite we want - I am assuming it will be a AC, but would love one of the afts. Can anyone give me any info on which are the best minis on the Sun.

I know heaps about the Diamond - had months to research, but have to select a cabin today. Help me please!!!!!!

There are a couple of mini suites that are totally different (and larger) on the Sun Princess. They are both aft and in the middle position of Baja Deck, only on the Sun Princess (the Dawn and Sea don't offer these). These are the best mini suites on the Sun, and we have had several of them.

Here is a link which gives you the mini suite number of the one we had and pictures to show you what it looks like.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/549336516kSsAyD?vhost=travel

IMHO you just won! Our favorite cruise was in a Sun mini. They are more like a suite on the bigger ships. Lots of privacy because they are cut out of the hull rather than sticking out from the side of the ship.

Search the boards, and you'll find lots of links with photos.

We were very disappointed when the ship moved to your part of the world. Only one Sun class ship spends winters in this hemisphere, and we have to go to Barbados to get it.

Enjoy.

I would actually recommend the mid-ship minis over the aft minis. The layout is better, in my opinion, as is the ride. I've had an aft suite on the Sun and it was wonderful but the ride was bouncy and we were in Alaska. The waters you're cruising will be rougher. We found the aft minis to be kind of dark. In contrast, our mid-ship mini had lots of room, bright. The balcony isn't deep but it is long and more convenient to the Horizon Court which is forward on this ship (as are the main dining rooms, all situated off the atrium).

Enjoy!

There are a couple of mini suites that are totally different (and larger) on the Sun Princess. They are both aft and in the middle position of Baja Deck, only on the Sun Princess (the Dawn and Sea don't offer these). These are the best mini suites on the Sun, and we have had several of them.

Here is a link which gives you the mini suite number of the one we had and pictures to show you what it looks like.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/549336516kSsAyD?vhost=travel

Thanks for the link Toto2Kansas. It looks amazing - I can't believe they are giving us a mini - we paid under $6,000 for the two of us for a balcony on Diamond. I priced the minis yesterday and they are around $8,600 per person!!!!! Just seems too good to be true. They must want balcony cabins really bad!

Thanks for the info again - greatly appreciated.

And just for comparison, here is a link to the side Mini's (category AC) also on the Sun. As you will see, there is a huge difference, especially in the balcony size.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/133123604noDdgi?vhost=travel

As you can see, the Sun was our all time favorite ship in the fleet and we sailed on her every chance we got. Although we enjoyed the AC side mini suites, that aft was the absolutely best stateroom I think we have ever had. The layout, and the two room bathroom was perfect for what we needed. On one side the tub, sink and vanity, and across the hall the facilities, seperate shower and another sink and vanity. And the make up mirros, extra storage (when comparing it to the AC's) was pure heaven. But there are only two of these designed as in the pictures, and both are located on Baja Deck aft.

IMHO you just won! Our favorite cruise was in a Sun mini. They are more like a suite on the bigger ships. Lots of privacy because they are cut out of the hull rather than sticking out from the side of the ship.

Search the boards, and you'll find lots of links with photos.

We were very disappointed when the ship moved to your part of the world. Only one Sun class ship spends winters in this hemisphere, and we have to go to Barbados to get it.

Enjoy.

That's great to hear - thanks for that. You hear so many bad reviews, but to be honest, we have never been on a ship and hated it. We are just happy little vegemites to be on board. How could anyone be unhappy with a mini suite. The only problem will be going back to a balcony!!! You will have to come to Australia and cruise on your ship - I will look after her for you, I promise!

I would actually recommend the mid-ship minis over the aft minis. The layout is better' date=' in my opinion, as is the ride. I've had an aft suite on the Sun and it was wonderful but the ride was bouncy and we were in Alaska. The waters you're cruising will be rougher. We found the aft minis to be kind of dark. In contrast, our mid-ship mini had lots of room, bright. The balcony isn't deep but it is long and more convenient to the Horizon Court which is forward on this ship (as are the main dining rooms, all situated off the atrium).

Enjoy![/quote']

To be honest, I don't think they will give us a higher category than the AC - not than I can complain! I'd be perfectly happy with any mini suite - don't think I can go wrong! We do love a bright suite and convenience to Horizon Court would be great as well, as we do tend to eat there a fair bit (must admit we do like the casual dinner)!

I have a good choice of cabins - but it seems I can have a suite AA category C746. Seems too good to be true - should I grab it. Other numbers are:

AC = B 401, 402, 403, 404

AB = B 750, 755, D 748 751

AA C746

Slight change - the AA was a mistake, but I can have any of the others. Please help me decide - I can't made a decision to save my life at the moment!!!

Archived