Cruising for the first time and with a toddler - questions and advice please!

wolffe

We are going on the 4-day cruise May 9th. My son will be just shy of 2 years old. I've read the tip thread here, all the tips at mousesavers, etc. but have some questions still.

Do we need a carseat for the transport to/from the airport? We're using the Disney transfers. Since we're flying, it would be a big pain to lug the carseat along if it's not needed.

We're going to take advantage of Flounder's Reef, but probably for no more than ~6 hours. With that limited time, is Palo's for brunch worth it? Or should we visit the adult's only section or just hang out at the adult pool?

Anything else we should know about cruising with a 2 year old?

TIA!!

Do the brunch!!! It is excellant, even better than Palos dinner in my families opinion.

Take plenty of swim diapers for the kiddie splash zone! You will use more than you think. Toddlers love that area. They do sell some on the ship but they often run out and cost alot more than buying at Walmart.

When we took DCL transportation we saw little kids sitting in their parents lap and nobody said anything. Sorry thats all I know about that question.

There are times when the kids club is more empty during meals or special events for the older kids and most of the time the counselors will aloow you to take your 2 year old into the club to play with your supervision for awhile. That is great for the kids. Ask the counselors when it would be ok to do this, usually they will have a few times during each cruise they allow this.

If you think you will need a stroller on the ship, DCL has some on board, there arnt a lot of them so reserve early.$200.00 security deposit charged to your room account until stroller is returned to Guest Services

Thsi site will give you some ideas about baby supplies too.

http://www.babiestravellite.com/disney-cruise-lines-diapers.html

Hope this helps you some,

oh and if theres anything on the menu you want pureed for your child just ask you waiter and they will do it for you.

Kathy

Awesome! Thanks so much.

Do you think we'll need a stroller? The only time I can see us using one would be on CC, and the site says they have wagons for use. Jake is a great walker and we usually let him walk until he gets tired.

Are there baby seats available on the bike rentals on CC? That's the only excursion I think I'd like to do. A trailer would be even better, since that's what he's used to at home.

I'm planning on taking Jake his own suitcase with swim diapers, regular diapers, etc. but I'll check the babies travel lite and see if it's reasonable. We're on a budget so trying to keep costs down.

In that vein, how is it best to do alcohol? Should we bring some on board with us, or buy a package?

Personally I never used a stroller with our grandkids. They were good walkers too and it help tire them out for nap time when they were all excited and didnt want to sleep.

The ship is large but not so large that a child cant walk it. Many do use strollers but I dont think its necessary all the time. Maybe for younger kids than yours would be helpful.

The bikes are great. they have baby seats and helmets, no trailers. The trails are both paved and plenty wide and easy to ride on. Several barrels with ice cold water too. One trail has an observation tower which is fun to go up, not too many stairs and a great view of the island. Bring yoru camera!! Be sure and look down around the ground at the base of the tower, they have a few cute things to see kind of in the brush but visable. Plus even though they rent by the hour,nobody checks you in when you return. You just leave the bike off so if your 10 minutes late its ok.

They do have package deals, but many prefer to bring their own because it does save alot of money. But remember if you bring wine and plan on drinking it at dinner there is a corking fee of $35.00 per bottle. So wine for dinner may be less expensive to buy a wine package.

if you just want to make some mixed drinks to have outside of the dining room it would save to bring your own if you drink 4 or 5 drinks a day.

They have a special drink of the day with is usually under $5. and changes everyday. Just be sure and keep it all in your carry on luggage so it wont get broken.

Your room host will bring you ice upon request or you can get some at the drink station on deck 9. I have friends who bring a battery operated mini blender to mix their own drinks to save $$.

So its up to you.

This site gives you a number to call about prices for wine packages which may help you. Also it has info about other stuff people can buy.

Kathy

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/gifts-and-amenities/

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful. I think we'll just bring our own alcohol for mixed drinks. I am hoping to be pregnant again by then so I won't be drinking, and hubby just wants to have a drink or two while hanging out at the pool.

Is there a place to buy alcohol reasonably in the airport or should we just pack it in flasks in our checked bag? You can't bring more than 3oz. on the plane.

We did the 4 night Wonder last month with our son, who was just shy of his 2nd birthday (turned two last week). I would agree that if your kiddo is a good walker, you could skip the stroller. We brought an umbrella stroller, which worked out well for us.

Definitiely, definitely, DEFINITELY go to Palo. It is SO worth it!

You don't need a carseat for the Disney transport. We took it, and it is a bus with individual seats (like a motorcoach). Our little guy just rode in our laps, and it was fine.

I will post tips as the come to me. I would recommend grabbing several cartons of milk in the morning at breakfast and taking them back to your cabin. You can store them in the cooler (it isn't exactly a fridge, but will keep cold things nice and cold), and that way you'll have them as you need them, and not have to track down milk in the middle of the day/night. Also, as tempting as it may be, don't skip naps. We made sure our son took his naps, and it made for a much happier little boy.

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful. I think we'll just bring our own alcohol for mixed drinks. I am hoping to be pregnant again by then so I won't be drinking, and hubby just wants to have a drink or two while hanging out at the pool.

Is there a place to buy alcohol reasonably in the airport or should we just pack it in flasks in our checked bag? You can't bring more than 3oz. on the plane.

I dont remember OIA having a liquor store? Maybe you can google the airport stores and find out for sure.

How are you getting to the port?

If your renting a car you can stop along the way at Cocoa beach to buy some. Are you coming in a day ahead of time? most Limo and shuttle services will make one stop for guests, usually at walmart.

If your taking DCL transportation and arriving the day of the cruise you might be out of luck as they dont make any stops.

My only suggestion then would be when you arrive at the port, you go inside and do the check in for you guys while your husband Keeping his photo ID on him walk out of the port area, hail a cab to go to cocoa beach, buy what you want then he needs to take a cab back tp the port and join you in the terminal to board the ship together.

If he only has one photo ID you might have to wait to check in until he comes because he will need it to be allowed in the terminal and you need it to check him in. If he has a drivers license and pssport this would work.

Of course for the price of the cab ride both ways it would probably pay for a drink of the day for each day of your cruise.Its about a 10 minute ride both ways to get to a store to buy liquor from the port.

Not sure if that helps but that is the way it is.

Hopefully you can find a store at OIA that sells it. I am sure you can find it by googling OIA stores. Be sure and check the hours they are open too.

Good luck!!

Kathy

We did the 4 night Wonder last month with our son, who was just shy of his 2nd birthday (turned two last week).

This will be our situation exactly. We sail on the 9th, and he turns two on the 18th. Thanks for the tips you've given already, and if you think of any more I'd love them!

Kathy, thanks for the suggestions. I'll google the airport but if they don't have a store we'll just pack it in our checked luggage. We have flasks so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm hoping he'll be the only one drinking anyway since I'm trying to get pregnant again. :)

There are no liquor stores at the airport. I'd suggest getting some of the "airport bottles" at your local liquor store, as they are sometimes plastic. Wrap them in a washcloth then in double Zip Locks baggies and pack between your clothes.

I thought of another. You can take your son to the Oceaneers Club to play. He's too young to leave there, but you can get visitors passes and stay as long as you'd like. There is a big pirate ship setup with all sorts of things to climb and a big slide, big foam blocks to play with, and all sorts of things to do. Our son had a blast there!

I can post photos of the Club if you'd like to see what it has/looks like.

There are no liquor stores at the airport. I'd suggest getting some of the "airport bottles" at your local liquor store, as they are sometimes plastic. Wrap them in a washcloth then in double Zip Locks baggies and pack between your clothes.

Awesome tip!!! Thanks so much!

Life: pictures would be great. Did you leave him at Flounder's? If you did, how did that go?

The photos are on a different computer than the one I'm on at the moment, but I'll get some up for you.

We did leave our son at Flounders, twice. I was VERY worried about how he'd do, because I'm a SAHM and he's never been watched by anyone aside from my husband, myself and my mom. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. He had a blast! The staff was excellent, and really did a great job with the kids. It also helps that he's a huge Mickey fan and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was playing on the tv when we got there. :)

Here's my review, if you'd like to read it. I get into more detail about everything:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1122589

Here's my review, if you'd like to read it. I get into more detail about everything:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1122589

I've already read it, and will probably read it several more times! :)

I have another question now. I've paid about half my cruise and it shows up fine on the Disney site, but none of the payments (3 of them) have shown up on my bank's site and it's been several days. I'm used to things showing up as soon as they're run through, so I'm just wondering if Disney doesn't run it until it's paid in full or what?

• 2 months later...
And another... regarding tips, is there a way to pay with a credit card on board or do we need to bring cash for tips?

You can have tips added to your on board account or bring cash its up to you.

Before the cruise is over envelopes will be delivered to your room that you can put cash in or a receipt from Guest services saying you paid on the CC for the tip.

The last night of the cruise you take the enveloped to dinner and after dinner give them to your wait staff and thank them. They do a parade around the dining room too and people stand and applaud them at the end of the night.

The room host you can either hand it to the last night or just leave it on the bed for him or her. They will find it when they turn down your bed that evening.

Kathy

Which way do you prefer to do it? Since you're a veteran cruiser, I value your opinion. :)

I prefer cash.

That way if I choose to give more or less than the suggested amount I can do it privately. If i did it at GS on the ship I would have to stand there and tell them what I wanted to do. I believe what I tip someone is my business and nobody elses.

I put the money in the room safe until needed.

Plus I know people who have worked for tips and all preferred cash when I asked them.

We just returned from a 3 night Wonder cruise April 25. We had a blast! (See my thread- So Excited)

Our travel party included me (nana), husband (pop), daughter (14yo), daughter 18(yo) and her daughter -our granddaughter (15 months)

We flew from Bham. Purchased a seat for the baby and used the carseat because that is what my daughter and the baby's mother wanted to do. The flight was ok, she slept most of the way. There arent any seatbelts on the DCL busses so baby just rode in our laps and let me tell you that that hour was very long. Next time I am going to use a car service or rent a car. The baby just travels better in her carseat.

I too was hesitant about Flounder's Reef because I work nights and keep the baby so my daughter can go to school so she too has never been in a daycare situation. But after a flight, a long bus ride, and getting on the ship, the baby needed some play time and we needed a break. So we decided to give Flounder's a try. She couldnt wait to get through the door. The counselors are very loving and you can tell that they enjoy their jobs. We were given a beeper and they said if she got upset and cried for more than 15 min they would give us a beep. We never got a beep. There is a one way mirror where you can peek in. Most of the time when I peeked in I saw children playing counselors in the floor with them. Once I saw a baby that was upset but she was being cuddled by one of the counselors. I would suggest you book some nursery time before you get on the ship. The time slots fill up quickly.

We tried to keep to her normal home routine as much as possible. Up early, buffet breakfast, to the pool or whatever activity for the day, lunch - 1130- down for nap, then up at 2pm- pool time and snack, another snack at 5 pm, then to the nursery at 5:30- we chose 5:30 to 7:30 every night so we could watch the shows. We then picked her up at 730, and headed to dinner ( we eat late at home and she goes to bed late so this is the normal for us) after dinner it was bedtime for everybody.

I would skip the stroller and the wagon on Castaway Cay- I saw lots of tired, hot, and struggling moms/dads with kids and stuff bogged down in the sand in wagons. Its not that far of a walk to the trams. We used what my daughter calls a "beco butterfly carrier"- its like an infant carrier/backpack like a snug ride- this is something baby is also used to. We put her in the beco to go through the airport, at the cruise terminal it kept her contained, when we got off in Nassau- she was in the beco, and from the ship to our chair on the beach at Castaway Cay she was in the beco.

Our meals in the dining room were great and the servers were very helpful with the baby.

Archived