Roatan- Buying Vanilla

sherri.l

I've heard that vanilla is very inexpensive in Roatan. Does anybody know for sure and if its a problem to bring it back into the U.S. If its a good deal I would consider buying several bottles but would hate to have it taken away. Thanks for any info

Sherri.l

thanks for the quick reply. was it easy to find or only in certain stores??

There's *not* a lot of stores to begin with on Roatan. :rolleyes:

I saw it at the Botanical Gardens and in a few places at West end.

I've never seen the bean, and I am not sure that the agriculture rules would be the same on the bean...you should be able to find it without any problem on cozumel...its a big tourist request so most stores carry it...its cheap and its good stuff, wish I'd of bought more 2 years ago! I guess I have a reason to return to mexico.

We found the price of Vanilla in Cozumel had shot way up since our last visit about 2 years ago. I would buy it in Roatan for sure. The little plaza or mall area near the pier would probably have some. They have great pottery. We didn't go there our last trip, 2 months ago but the couples we were with did: boy was I sorry we hadn't after checking out prices in Belize the next day.

NMNita

I think that when we last bought it in Cozumel it was $8/bottle at the Tri-something store and $5/bottle in the shopping "garage" (long narrow shopping area) you have to walk through after you get off (and on) the ship. Seems like the bottles were 12oz or 16oz.

If you go to West End on Roatan, you will find several small grocery stores there. The vanilla is very reasonable. I just returned from Cozumel in Dec and the mall you refer to is probably the duty free shops. I purchased a 34 oz. bottle there for $12.00. The previous poster is correct. The price of vanilla in indeed going higher the last couple of years. There is no problem bringing it back into the States.

• 7 years later...

I had our Victor Bodden guide take us to a grocery store where we bought vanilla and rum. They were both excellent. The brand of vanilla is Esencia de Vainilla de Optima Calidad made by Laboratorios Drogueria Nacional, S.A. in San Pedro Sula, Hondorus. The bottle has a blue label. The price tag says "Eldon's" which may be the name of the grocery store.

Yep...ditto the Victor Bodden Tour guide stopping at a grocery store for us.

We also bought a few other goods, extremely inexpensive and a fun jaunt through the store.

The aisles had "american" brands on one side and their brands on the other, very interesting side trip!

You can also get to one via other transport, of course.

The bottles we bought for a couple bucks were like $16 in the pier area shops!

This was the same size and brand, shame again Carnival!

I've never seen the bean, and I am not sure that the agriculture rules would be the same on the bean...you should be able to find it without any problem on cozumel...its a big tourist request so most stores carry it...its cheap and its good stuff, wish I'd of bought more 2 years ago! I guess I have a reason to return to mexico.

Vanilla, uhg. As stated no problem bringing it home. My wife always seems to promise everybody vanilla when we go to Mexico. Last trip to Cosumel I went ashore alone (along with 15k other folks as 3 ships were in that day) I walked my feet off but finally found a guy willing to deal. I bought 5 quarts for $40 and by the time I got back to the ship my arms were broke. Now, we had to make room in our suitcases and then lug that "stuff" half way around the world home, where she just gave it away. SO, her 1 bottle cost me bucks.

I don't know about Roatan, I bought ours in Cozumel. I got a gigantic bottle (sorry, at work, don't know the ounces) but it was huge and I think I ended up paying about $8 for it. Prices have gone up since our first cruise but it's still hella cheaper than here in the states. And I had no problem bringing it back.

Vanilla bean pods, though, could be a problem as they probably would be considered a plant.

Very cheap and no issue bringing back to the US (my 16 oz bottle lasted me nearly 2 years). However, it IS a liquid, so flying complications may occur. I packed mine (in a ziploc and in a very secure compartment) in my checked luggage. My next cruise involves no flying, so no issue...

Buy a bottle of Vodka instead :)

Pour vodka into a quart sized Mason Jar. (never use plastic)

Slice a vanilla bean open, I like Madagascar.

Put bean into Vodka, close it finger tip tight

store the jar in a dark cabinet for 6 months

Viola!! homemade vanilla extract! DELICIOUS!!

Make tons and give it away at Christmas..

Archived