best port to buy alcohol??

cruiser0807

Hi everyone,

DH and I are going on our 4th Carnival cruise together this spring. Our itenerary this time includes St. Thomas, which we've done before, and Antigua and Tortola, which are new for us. We know that prices for liquor are usually pretty decent in St. Thomas, but we were wondering if prices are better, worse, or about the same in either Antigua or Tortola. Could anybody help us out on this?

St. Martin is the best place. St. Thomas is next best. In St. Thomas there is a K-mart just up the street from the pier, about a fifteen minute walk. They have a big liquor department with great prices.

Tortola is very expensive for booze but it is one of my favorite ports, you will enjoy it, beautiful place.

Antigua is also expensive, a six-pack of Wadadli beer cost about $8 at a convenience store, and the bottles were only 10 oz. :eek: It was a very refreshing brew so I recommend trying it.

Hi everyone,

DH and I are going on our 4th Carnival cruise together this spring. Our itenerary this time includes St. Thomas, which we've done before, and Antigua and Tortola, which are new for us. We know that prices for liquor are usually pretty decent in St. Thomas, but we were wondering if prices are better, worse, or about the same in either Antigua or Tortola. Could anybody help us out on this?

Best place in the Caribbean for liquor prices is St. Thomas. Occasionally you can get this or that at a better price elsewhere, but overall, St. Thomas wins hands down. Prices in St. Thomas are always MUCH better for liquor , jewelery, and electronics than any other main island in the Caribbean.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Looks like we'll be buying the bulk of our stuff in St. Thomas, then. By the way, does anyone know anything about Pusser's Rum. I was researching the North Shore and Pusser's Landing tour when I ran across something about Pusser's Rum. I tried to find some reviews/comparisons to other rums, but couldn't find much. Has anyone ever tried this rum, and if so, what did you think of it?

Also, in St Thomas (a couple yrs ago), I believe it was A.H Rise that delivered my alcohol directly to the ship and you'll get it on the last night.

I know that people will probably find risk in it never getting there, but I'm going to figure that since Rise offers this as a service, it probably works pretty well.

Also, in St Thomas (a couple yrs ago), I believe it was A.H Rise that delivered my alcohol directly to the ship and you'll get it on the last night.

I know that people will probably find risk in it never getting there, but I'm going to figure that since Rise offers this as a service, it probably works pretty well.

I've used A.H. Rise for years. It's one of my first stops whenever I visit St. Thomas. I was nervous years ago with my first order. Wasted worry.....they are excellent and have great customer service. Their prices are generally VERY good for most of the things I drink....mostly single malt Scotch. I'm on the Conquest FEB 21 but we won't visit St. Thomas unfortunately.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Looks like we'll be buying the bulk of our stuff in St. Thomas, then. By the way, does anyone know anything about Pusser's Rum. I was researching the North Shore and Pusser's Landing tour when I ran across something about Pusser's Rum. I tried to find some reviews/comparisons to other rums, but couldn't find much. Has anyone ever tried this rum, and if so, what did you think of it?

Pusser's Rum is very unique. It is used in the British Navy as their rum. get it in Tortola at the Pussers Rum Store on the main street.

St Martin, found Sky vodka 1.75ltr for 9.00, Crown for about 12.00,and Jack for about 12.oo got it at a small soter and they also delivered it to the ship no problems most of the shops will send it to the ship not to say that I wasn't worried about getting ripped off but it worked out great.

Best place in the Caribbean for liquor prices is St. Thomas. Occasionally you can get this or that at a better price elsewhere, but overall, St. Thomas wins hands down. Prices in St. Thomas are always MUCH better for liquor , jewelery, and electronics than any other main island in the Caribbean.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.. In my experience St. Martins has been better..

Bulldog

If you ever get to Road Town stop at Pusser's for a Painkiller..;)

Bulldog

A question for everyone who answered the OPs question with a comment about St. Martin.

Why?

It is a long walk from either St. Thomas, Tortola or Antigua to St. Martin, and since the OPs cruise doesn't go to St. Martin that would be the only way they could get there to make purchases.

Pusser's Rum is very unique. It is used in the British Navy as their rum. get it in Tortola at the Pussers Rum Store on the main street.

For information Rum rations were stopped in the Royal Navy (no such thing as British Navy:rolleyes:) on 31st July 1970:mad:

you can check out the history at:

http://www.pussers.com/rum/

A question for everyone who answered the OPs question with a comment about St. Martin.

Why?

It is a long walk from either St. Thomas, Tortola or Antigua to St. Martin, and since the OPs cruise doesn't go to St. Martin that would be the only way they could get there to make purchases.

:DI was wondering about that as well.

zqvol, I read in the history of Pusser's that it's aged in wooden barrels. Does this give it much of a woody taste? I dislike most whiskeys simply because of that woody taste from the barrels, but I don't know how the wood would effect rum.

I think Pusser's has a higher alcohol content than most rums. It can lay you out flat. Definitely go to the shop in Roadtown. Fish and chips were excellent as was the shopping. Be sure to bring home some Pussers. AH Rise is a very dependable place to buy liquor. We buy our Grand Mariner there and have it sent to the ship. As always, know your prices before you go so you can determine the discount.

Five years ago or so Pussers had a Factory Outlet for their clothing line in St. Thomas behind the big shopping area at the dock on the other side of Frenchman Bay Rd. Not sure if it's still there but I got some very well made sailing shorts and great Tee Shirts cheap.

Why?

My responce was to this statement..

Best place in the Caribbean for liquor prices is St. Thomas. .

My opinion is the best prices in the Caribbean for liquor is on St. Martin..

Bulldog

I have not been to St. Martin, but I found that the rum I wanted to buy was only available at AH Riise in St, Thomas. I found some nice premium rum there (Pyrat) that I can't find in any of the other islands I have been to so far. Jamaica is great for the usual Jamiacan rum.

Next trip to St. Thomas I am thinking of buying that bottle of ultra premium that was selling for $60US....that ought to be good.....the Pyrat XO reserve should be too ($32/bottle).

Archived