Prinsendam eastbound TA's smaller ship concerns

cristine

We are considering a eastbound TA from New York to Amsterdam in may of 2011

Am wondering what your experiences have been on a smaller ship. We have done an east bound in April to Greece on the Norweign Jewel a much larger ship in more southern waters and had no problems with rough seas, and we did a westbound this past oct on the princess Ruby, where we had a few days of rough seas and were not bothered by it.

Would like to hear from anyone who has sailed on her in the north atlantic. Thanks

Christine

we did transatlantic 28 days on prinsendam nov 2009--i have never seen such calm seas(we have done 40 cruises--so experienced many diff seas)--the water was literally like glass/mirror..THe temps were pleasant and certainly where you could swim..They have an excellent library and many movies to take out

I've done many crossings, but only one on a small ship, and after that I said never again----I'll stick to the larger ones. While there's no way to tell if you'll have rough seas, I know that the smaller ships do not handle rougher seas as well as the larger ships. The crossing I did was on Seabourn, London to NYC, and we hit the most awful seas for three days. The front windows on two suites were blown out and seas were over 40ft. It got so bad that the captain had to turn the ship astern and we rode backwards for over a day so there wouldn't be more damage done to those front cabins. Yes, this doesn't happen very often but it does happen, especially in the North Atlantic and especially in Fall and Winter. May shouldn't be that much of a problem, but that tricky North Atlantic can be a stubborn old bat.

Wow Darcie! I have never seen a ship riding astern like that!

I crossed in 1995 twice (going and coming) on a really small ship. Really small. It was rough and wild and I loved it. Viking blood. At times it was frightening with the size of the waves.

Unless you have a desire for the smaller ship experience for itself, book a larger ship.

Archived