Oceania's bookings rise

WesW

Strong early bookings, rates for Oceania

18/1/2005

Oceania Cruises has already sold 70% of its inventory for 2005 -- about double where the line was last year at this point and ahead of a capacity increase, spokesman Tim Rubacky told Seatrade Insider.

During 2004, Oceania operated Regatta for the full year and Insignia for nine months. By mid-January, the line had sold 40% of its inventory. This year, besides full-calendar operations for the two ships, the new Nautica will be in service for a month.

Some 80% of Oceania’s 2005 European inventory is booked. ‘Europe is hot,’ Rubacky said. ‘Long-distance travel since 9/11 has come back exponentially. The Olympics in Greece attracted a lot of attention, and the dollar’s weakness versus the euro means cruising [for Americans] is a tremendous value this year compared to last year.’ Rubacky also reports that Oceania rates are firming, with 2005 pricing up nearly 16% compared to 2004.

You mention that "the dollar’s weakness versus the euro means cruising [for Americans] is a tremendous value this year compared to last year."

If the dollar buys fewer euros this year vs last year wouldn't the opposite be true? That it is less of a value? We recently returned from an Oceania Black Sea Cruise and it was a rare moment that we saw any terrific price advantages. In fact because of this we purchased a lot fewer local goods than we have on many previous European trips.

I am guessing that they mean a cruise, priced in US dollars, with fares about the same as last year, is a bargain compared to on shore european hotel, travel, and restaurant charges, which rise as the dollar drops. Buying items on shore, as you say, is not better this year. No Hermes scarf for me this trip.

Yes, all of you are right, and I understand your points. Still, on average, a two week cruise on Oceania costs $1000 more per person in the Spring of 2005 compared to the Spring of 2004. We were lucky to have taken our Barcelona to Venice cruise on the Regatta in April, 2004 (then it cost us only $3200 per person including airfare for a category B).

Meow- You're right, and that doesn't include the price of drinks! Even at $1.25 to the Euro, there are few places where I would pay $11 for a glass of house wine. (yes, of course there are always the $20 drinks at Harry's in Venice, but I don't drink very much there.)

Archived