Has anyone rented scooters to get around?

STL traveler

We're thinking about doing this - any recommendations? Is it safe to be out on our own and easy to get around the island? Any info would be appreciated.

STL,

I have not rented scooters in Belize now would I. We have been there several times and would not consider going out on our own there.

I wouldn't recommend renting scooters on most of the islands..NOW Belize I would say NO WAY!! If you wanna see the town, I would try and do a organized tour of some sort..My DH and myself ventured out of the "gates" in Oct and would not recommend this for anyone.. though we were never "scared", just uncomfy.

I have heard that Belize it beautiful once you get out from the town.. I like different so I had to walk around to see the lighthouse, etc.. just be careful

We're thinking about doing this - any recommendations? Is it safe to be out on our own and easy to get around the island? Any info would be appreciated.

Well first of all Belize isn't an island. It's on the main continent. I don't know if there are even scooters available for rental. I didn't see any in Belize City or on the roads leading to the country side. I've walked around Belize City with no problems and the only hassle coming from the people in from of the Tourist village trying to get you into a horse carriage tour or other activity, the streets are fairly narrow and it's not clearly marked which is one way or two way. I don't think I'd want to drive around especially if I'm not exactly sure where I'd be going.

Take a tour if you want to see the city.

I agree with the others....I would not chose to venture out on my own in Belize on a scooter. To be honest, I don't think I saw anyone on scooters anyway. Belize has some beautiful scenery, but it also has some very questionable areas.

We did a city tour through Carnival and went all over Belize City. If I recall, our tour guide said there were only 4 traffic lights in the city, so getting around can be confusing. I never felt unsafe on our tour, but we had a group of 45 people on the tour bus.

My friends did the Xunantunich Mayan ruins tour through the ship and loved it.

Archived