Cruising solo

Cre

My daughter's father will not sign a consent form authorizing me to travel abroad with her so she cannot come on the trip. The trip is paid in full. Will I have any problem coming alone or will their be an additional fee since I will no be cruising alone? Should I just not mention that she won't be coming and come alone?

If its paid in full then there would not be a single supplement. However, if not, then the singles suppliment could be anywhere from 125%-175% of the per person fair.

Single supplement on RCI is usually 200% of the cruise fare, unless it´s a special with reduced single supplement.

The only part you don´t pay double is port fees and taxes.

So to the OP you should get the fees back, but that´s it otherwise it doesn´t matter much, you´ve paid for your daughter what would otherwise be the single supplement. However I´d advise RCI so they could correct their manifest.

I too unfortunately have a jerk of an ex and know the court system only to well. I handle most of my court dealings myself (in pro per) .I would suggest finding free legal help which in most states is available at the courthouse. They can show you how to file to ask the judge to grant permission. If your trip is soon you can file an ex-parte which is heard right away and is for "emergencies" If you really want her to go I would file an OSC ex-parte asking the judge to grant permission and make him sign the paperwork you need to take her.

Good Luck

and it looks like serving him is an issue. I could be wrong and every state is different but here in California (but maybe because I already have an ongoing case with a case #) you can go to court ex-parte and they(ex) can be served verbally over the phone or by e-mail with 24 hours notice of court hearing. Since at one time you must have had a divorce or custody case I'm wondering if you can do an OSC(order to show cause) ex-parte which only requires phone or e-mail notification of the other party 24 hours in advance of court hearing.I'm assuming you have some way of contacting him.

If you are the primary caretaker and he has no real reason not to let you go the court probably would grant it.Especially since you say he told you verbally you could take her.

If you really want to still take her I would try the legal route.Even with a court order I doubt my ex would give me a notarized letter in a timely manner but I would take the court order with me and I'm sure that would be sufficient.

I have taken my son with me several times on a cruise and they have never asked to see signed documentation from his Dad. I heard that as long as they have a passport, there will be no questions asked. My son has a passport and he has a different last name than me.

Where are you going? Are you cruising from the US?

I asked for the letter prior to booking the cruise. He agreed to provide the letter but has been giving me the run around for months. I have decided not to take her because if i do take her and I am asked for the letter we could be denied boarding. She's already disappointed by her father's behavior. i don't want to disappoint her any more. She's gonna go visit her cousin in Maryland for spring break instead so her plane ticket won't go to waste. I'm really not out of any money. She will be 17 in December. When she turns 18 I won't have to deal with this anymore. The trip is to the Bahamas. I'm glad I won't have to pay any additional money.

First, I would take any legal advice offered here with a BIG grain of salt. Check with a lawyer.

Second, just to clarify what has been said, the single supplement is usually around 100% over the per person rate. In other words, the cost for one person is usually about the same as the total cost for two people. Saying the single supplement is around 200% implies that it would cost more for one person to travel than two, and that's not true.

Since you booked the trip for two people, you have already paid roughly the same amount as the single rate. So you definitely will not need to pay any additional fees. And, in fact, you should get your the taxes and port fees back for the other passenger.

I'm working on that. I don't want any money for the trip. Basically who ever can get their plane ticket and cruise documents between now and 3/19/2010 is welcome to come. I'm sure the trip will be great. I plan on booking another cruise for her graduation since the 16th birthday cruise didn't pan out. I've got 2 years. Who knows maybe we can go on the Oasis by then. It's beautiful! I admit that I have let this get to me but I am very blessed and with so many others in the world suffering right now a trip should be the least of my worries. I know over the last 2 months I have worried you guys to death over this. I really appreciate the support.

i feel that based on all of your great advice I made the best decision.

I have 34 more days to my cruise WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived