10+ cabins

iratherbesailing

We have 10 rooms booked with family and friends sailing on Holland America. (9 balcony cabins, 1 inside.) They were all booked with the same TA. Shouldn't I be offered some sort of discount, credit?

did all people book at the same time?

all the same category?

did the first person who booked set the family up as a group?

Was the agent aware that enough people will be booking for 10 cabins?

if not--- no, but the agent could offer you something but is under no obligation to do so.

was the price the same?

did all people book at the same time?

all the same category?

did the first person who booked set the family up as a group?

Was the agent aware that enough people will be booking for 10 cabins?

if not--- no, but the agent could offer you something but is under no obligation to do so.

was the price the same?

We started off with 5 cabins (4 balcony, 1 inside) and have added since then. At that time, we didn't qualify as a group as I was told. I have heard that a "group" rate or perks do exist, I just wasn't sure what would be reasonable to expect seeing that we all paid posted rates.

We started off with 5 cabins (4 balcony, 1 inside) and have added since then. At that time, we didn't qualify as a group as I was told. I have heard that a "group" rate or perks do exist, I just wasn't sure what would be reasonable to expect seeing that we all paid posted rates.

Group rates do exist. When are you sailing?

If you have not yet made final payment, there is a good likelihood the agent can switch you to "group" status.

The price may not change (or it might, depending on how well the ship is sold at this point), but "GAP Points" (Group Amenity Points) will be available. They allow benefits from a menu, such as Pinnacle Grill meals, onboard credits, etc. Also, with a group status, one person will sail for free (cruise only; not the taxes) for every eight cabins sailing (the eight can change on certain sailings).

It all depends on your ship and sail date.

We have 10 rooms booked with family and friends sailing on Holland America. (9 balcony cabins, 1 inside.) They were all booked with the same TA. Shouldn't I be offered some sort of discount, credit?

If this was established as a group there may be some better pricing on specific categories. You will also be assigned so many Group Amenities Points (GAP) to "spend" on this cruise based on what was selected. It might be onboard credit, bottles of champagne... there's A LOT of options. But if you aren't established as a group, then no. If you aren't to the point of final payment yet, call your TA if booked through one, or reservations if booked directly with HAL

Really, thank you very much for your input. I had heard something about a free cruise (+ taxes) just by talking to different people. We are still 10 months away from final payment, so I will contact my TA. I just want to make sure we get the best possible perk as a few of these people due to work shortages really have to save their spare change to afford this cruise. They don't want to "miss the boat" on all this excitement. any credit I might get as their coordinator, I will share with them.

Really, thank you very much for your input. I had heard something about a free cruise (+ taxes) just by talking to different people. We are still 10 months away from final payment, so I will contact my TA. I just want to make sure we get the best possible perk as a few of these people due to work shortages really have to save their spare change to afford this cruise. They don't want to "miss the boat" on all this excitement. any credit I might get as their coordinator, I will share with them.

That's a common practice among groups ... taking the value of the free passage (called a Tour Conductor) and dividing it among all group members. It's certainly not mandatory, but it's nice of you to do that.

One thing you may want to discuss with your TA is if the rate lowers, will they protect you and lower your rate? A lot of agencies will lower the rate but not change the passenger price ... this brings more $$ into the agency.

This will take some work on your part ... keeping an eye on current prices, but it may be worth your while. NOTE: if the rate you see on the HAL website lowers, that's for new bookings for individual cabins, not groups. BUT sometimes a good agent can chat with the cruise line and see if your group rate can be lowered...

Archived