children on Maasdam?

speedbump1999

Yes, there are children's programs; however, not very great. My child is 6 years old and enjoyed it b/c he got to play computers all the time. Not my idea of a good kids club. No pager system. Just a sign out sheet. No fun games with the parents, no talent show, etc.....

The room is pretty sad looking. It's an empty room with a few chairs, ancient arcade games and a window.

Staff seem tired and bored.:(

The program is pretty boring when compared to Royal Carribbean.

Whereas the Royal Carribbean was great for him. The room was awesome. I mean the room was vibrant and lots of kids stuff and kid fun. The staff was super energetic and friendly. The itinerary for kids was awesome. Lots of fun science, fun plays, and longer hours plus a pager. There was the newlywed type game, Raze the ship, talent show, etc....:p

At the risk of being attacked, I can honestly tell you that the majority of cruisers represented on this board don't care for the presence of kids. We've cruised several times w/ our children and haven't encountered much "disapproval" from other cruisers....this board has made me leary of my upcoming cruise on HAL as most people here gauge the number of kids as a factor to the success of their cruise! I'm ready - throw the tomatoes!!!

I'm sorry you feel that way Amy. I don't think it's a matter of people not liking children, but that HAL is catered more for older adults and those who prefer a bit quieter cruise. I bet it will be great cruise for you considering you are going during spring break where there will be more families than normal. Actually it maybe better than the other lines as it get's really PACKED full of kids on RCCL & Carnival (this mom's been there.. done that).

To answer Colleen's question. You didn't state when you were cruising. I think this makes a difference. In October on the Maasdam, there were maybe a handful of kids on board. The activites center was basically deserted. Your 13 year old would have been climbing the walls with boredom. This was a 10 day cruise however. I'd imagine the eastern/canadian iteneraries in the summer have more children on board. If you are looking for a cruise more catered to your children's needs, Princess is a better choice. Good luck on your decision.

It depends on what your kids like to do and how much time they plan to be in the program on the cruise. Our son liked the kids program on Maasdam, but then again, he's more into playing on the computer and hanging out with mom and dad and seeing shows than rock climbing or going on scavenger hunts. I also felt it was good for him as he does better in small groups than in large crowds of kids. But all kids are different... Just as we adults have our preferences when it comes to cruising, some programs are a better fit for some kids than others. JMHO.

At the risk of being attacked, I can honestly tell you that the majority of cruisers represented on this board don't care for the presence of kids. We've cruised several times w/ our children and haven't encountered much "disapproval" from other cruisers....this board has made me leary of my upcoming cruise on HAL as most people here gauge the number of kids as a factor to the success of their cruise! I'm ready - throw the tomatoes!!!

Why you persist in this charade that everyone hates your kids I'll never know. As has been pointed out to you more times than I can count on two hands, what most cruisers here (and elsewhere) don't like are people - of any age - with no regard for their fellow passengers. THis has been pointed out to you time and time again so, for the life of me, I can't understand why you continue to bad mouth HAL passengers - especially since you've never been on one of the ships!

Stalker,

I never said anything about my kids; liking them or not. Secondly, I didn't say Holland America, I've never stepped foot on one of their ships....if you read closer, I simply mentioned the cruiser represented on this message board. I would've bet $100 that you were going to respond to my post. Predictable.

I'm sure you're looking for a cruise experience that your children will enjoy.

All of our HAL trips had delightful children on board, many of whom we interacted with. But this does not mean the kids had a good time.

I haven't heard any discussion about the Ryndam refit with all the new children's amenities, but traditionally, HAL has not done alot for kids. They are not equipped like Disney for that focus. Perhaps you should look at a more family oriented cruise until we have more details about HAL's success in this area.

I'm not trying to discourage you from sailing HAL, but I'm trying to read between the lines concerning your question. I think it is "WIll my kids have a good time?"

Am I right?

GN

I think you should check with HAL to see if that time period is still considered part of March break. I was on the Maasdam a couple of years ago, also the last week of March, and they had special programs, with extra employees, for the kids because it was still considered March break. However, the majority of passengers were older and not travelling with children so there were only about 20 kids on board. I overheard one pre-teen complaining to another about the "lame" entertainment and being bored. If your kids enjoy lots of activities with other kids, they may be bored. However, if they like hanging around the pool with their parents, they will enjoy the Maasdam. I would think RCCL would be more suited for active children and the kids would have a better time, but that's just my opinion. I'm an avid HAL cruiser (single and childless) and I enjoy having children around. I've only encountered one child that behaved badly and, unfortunately, his parents behaved even worse.

I think the Spring/Easter school breaks fall between mid-February and Easter Week and those weeks are when you will find kids on the ships and a more active children's program.

With Easter early this year on 3/27 a cruise leaving on 3/31 is really a post-Easter April cruise and I would think there would be few if any children aboard, especially as it is an 10 day cruise that would have very few children on it anyway. Do your school age children have such a long vacation after Easter? We were on a 10 day the first week in April 2003 on the Rotterdam and I think there were 3 children on board.

I went during the low season, Dec. 11- 22, there were not too many children (which I prefer). Like I said before, my child had a great time. The ship is inimiate enough that he made friends throughout the ship and not just at the club.

The HAL passengers gave lots of attention to my child. There were no dirty looks. In fact, many of the PAX wondered where he disappeared to. I think what passengers don't like are unruly children running loose.

However, HAL staff told me that on the Dec. 22 Maasdam trip, they were going to have 300 to 400 children on board versus the normal dozen.!!! They told me that normal capacity for the ship was approx. 1400 (?) and they will have 1600(?).

The numbers he gave me just blew me away.

So I will assume spring break cruise will have lots of kids.

In BC, some children are having spring break from March 19 to April 3.

Actually our kids are supposed to return to school on 4/4/05. They go to Catholic school so they really don't care if they miss an additional week from school. Their grades are good so this should not affect them too much.

Then my only comment would be that from my experience your children will be rather lonely on HAL on a 10 day cruise after the Easter/Spring break period. Actually I think under the same circumstances Princess and other cruiselines might be similar.

I have to agree with Peaches. Spring break will see a lot more kids than other times of the year, but most families tend to take 7 day, not 10 day cruises. We were with Iluvcruzin on the 10/30 Maasdam sailing, and there were not more than 20 kids on board. We live in the Norfolk area, so another cruise on the Maasdam would be real convenient. But for our spring break trip with our daughters (ages 15 and 17) we're flying to Fort Lauderdale and taking the Zuiderdam on a 7 day cruise. On our Maasdam cruise one woman we met took her three teenage kids out of school and brought them with her. At the end of the cruise I walked up to two of them and asked if they were "bored to tears". They smiled and said it was a bit slow. But I think they found the younger employees, mainly show staff and hung out with them. The kids room looked fairly lame and I never saw anyone in there the few times I walked by. It didn't seem like something kids 9 - 13 would be interested in, but I could be wrong. I'm sure there will be more for the kids during spring break.

Just a thought, perhaps you could call HAL and get some info as to number of kids or number of cabins booked with more than two people. All other things being equal I would look elsewhere for a cruise with children. However, if the kids can afford the time off from school, and you live close to Norfolk I wouldn't eliminate it. There could be a couple of hundred kids on board.

Well I took the advice given to me and called. They presently only have 8 children that are in the same range as my children booked for this cruise. After speaking to two different customer service representatives from HAL, I decided to give it a whirl. Now only if the travel agent would call me back so I could book it.......... before I change my mind again! The drive to Fort Laureldale will take almost 20 hours and the drive to Norfolk is only 6 hours. I figured I have nothing to lose but some money!?

20 hours in the car with 3 kids -- I'd take the Maasdam also. With all the money you save on flights, you will be able to book some great excursions when in port. Have a fabulous time. I wish my parents had the means to take me cruising when I was a kid. It must be fun to experience a cruise as a child. I plan to take my nephew (who is only 18 months old) on a Disney cruise when he turns 6 or 7 and I can't wait to experience a cruise through his eyes. Have a wonderful trip.

We have booked an HAL cruise over Easter this year and have done lots of question asking from cruise professionals. We were concerned that HALs reputation in the industry of being for "the older crowd" We have 7 year old twins who have cruised on Disney and Princess. We have cruised without them on Celebrity, Carnival and Seabourn Yachts. Over and over again we have been told that HAL is making leaps and bounds in trying to improve and intice the " Family / Gen X'ers" as they see them as their future. They have spent alot of money in improvements in the kids clubs and staffing of the clubs. We are looking forward to seeing if this is true. Our children have fun even without a kids club. They enjoy dressing up and eating out. We always get compliments on how well they behave.They usually have much better behavior they some if not most adults while travelling! They have been tavelling internationally since they were 27 months old. To Russia, Euopre, Mexico, the Caribbean etc. Dad is a pilot and I am an ex-flight attendant so we have seen the good and bad. Every time we board an aircraft we get " the look" from at least one person. We love when that person at the end of a flight comments on what good travellers they were! Do not let any negative comments sway where you choose to travel. Have a great time!

I went during the low season, Dec. 11- 22, there were not too many children (which I prefer). Like I said before, my child had a great time. The ship is inimiate enough that he made friends throughout the ship and not just at the club.

The HAL passengers gave lots of attention to my child. There were no dirty looks. In fact, many of the PAX wondered where he disappeared to. I think what passengers don't like are unruly children running loose.

However, HAL staff told me that on the Dec. 22 Maasdam trip, they were going to have 300 to 400 children on board versus the normal dozen.!!! They told me that normal capacity for the ship was approx. 1400 (?) and they will have 1600(?).

The numbers he gave me just blew me away.

So I will assume spring break cruise will have lots of kids.

In BC, some children are having spring break from March 19 to April 3.

I was on the Dec. 22 Maasdam sailing. Total guests 1,251. DH and I both agree - there couldn't have been more than 60-80 kids total! Older teens found each other right away and seemed to have their group. There was a group of younger "tweenagers" that had a lot of fun (but didn't annoy us too much). There were about 30 kids in some Club Hal activities we witnessed (early evening pool activities, etc.). The one comment I did hear from a couple of parents was that their children wouldn't sign for Club HAL activities but wanted to hang with them instead. I think children old enough to express an opinion thought the Club was for little kids. I admit I was more than a little worried about too many kids on this journey ... but determined I would not make this an issue in how much I enjoyed my cruise. My concern was for nothing and my worries unfounded! The kids we saw all seemed to be having a good time. I would think kids on cruises would be the same as adults: you get out of it what you put into it. Make the effort to have a good time - and you will!

Coleen, I think you have gotten a lot of good information here, and I'll add my two cents.

Some of the things my children enjoy most about sailing are not part of the "kids" program. How about free room service? Pizza and ice cream? Lots of movies on TV? A DVD player if you're in a suite? Heated card games with Mom and Dad in the cardroom in the afternoons? Shore excursions to beautiful beaches, warm waters, and great shopping (:rolleyes: ok, maybe mom likes the last). And especially at your kids' age, a little freedom to move around the ship-after all- where can they go?

Let's see, drink cards, sloshing pools, sleeping late, staying up late, popcorn and movies, shows of all kinds, a chance to try-and reject- a new food. I think most kids would like this. Mine do, and yours will get to miss a week of school, too.

Hope you have a great trip.

Beth

Archived