"Guaranteed Cabin" Anyone ever get upgrade?

RJake1

So when they do finally give you an assignment... did you get an email or do you have to keep on checking? My concern is getting it either the day before while we are still traveling or at the port. How do you deal with luggage if you dont know which cabin you are in?

The ship information shows that now all balcony and oceanview rooms are sold out.... can we assume they will offer upgrades to people in balcony rooms to suites?

So when they do finally give you an assignment... did you get an email or do you have to keep on checking? My concern is getting it either the day before while we are still traveling or at the port. How do you deal with luggage if you dont know which cabin you are in?

The ship information shows that now all balcony and oceanview rooms are sold out.... can we assume they will offer upgrades to people in balcony rooms to suites?

You or your travel agent need to check to see if a cabin has been assigned. Don't worry if you haven't received and are headed to the port. The porters have the manifest and will look up your name and fill out the tags right then and there.

Has anyone ever booked a guaranteed cabin and received the lowest graded cabin? It seems on most ships there are only about two cabins that fit this description.

you are guaranteed the level you book or higher. Certainly people have gotten the category they booked.

We got our cabin assignment quite a while ago for our June sailing on the Star. We still never have received an e-mail about it. It simply appeared one day when I signed in on My NCL. I'd suggest checking there to see if you already have an assignment.:) And when you print out your luggage tags, they should already have the cabin number printed on them, too. BTW, we had a BX (guarantee) booking and got a BB balcony that looks to be in an excellent location (yay!).

LucyR got an upgrade. See her thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1829704

But she was NOT happy with the cabin assignment. So, for anyone considering booking a Guarantee, the rule of thumb is:

NEVER book a guarantee unless you're willing to accept any cabin in the category (i.e., if you book an Inside Guarantee, you're willing to accept any Inside cabin) OR if the cruise line upgrades you, you're willing to accept any cabin in any higher category. Keep in mind that, as in LucyR's case in the linked thread, you MUST scrutinize the deck plans and be certain that you would be happy with any cabin in your category or higher - even if you don't consider it a true upgrade. If location is important to you (e.g., not wanting to be near the noise of the anchor or near the bow because of motion sickness), you probably should NOT book a guarantee.

you are guaranteed the level you book or higher. Certainly people have gotten the category they booked.

Thank you. Booked an inside guarantee on the Sun to Alaska. Doing a back to back. The way I look at it is that any room I get will be considered an upgrade as long as I do not get one of the two smallest insides even though I know that is a possibility.

We usually book gty inside and have been happy with our room. Our latest cruise, we booked beginning of Feb, leaving this weekend, and the cabin was assigned almost right away. Our TA only e-mailed us this week to confirm the cabin number, but we had already found out ourselves and done our check-in and printed our e-docs. But don't book a gty expecting to get upgraded. If you aren't prepared to take the worst cabin in that category, chose the category you want and pay the extra.

I have been upgraded twice on other cruise lines - once from inside to oceanview across the hall. But the first time, on my second cruise, was from crappy lower inside room by the laundry to upper level balcony. That happened at the pier, we lined up in the appropriate area (checking in by floor) and they couldn't find our reservation. So while we panicked, someone went to check it out, came back, took us to another line-up and we checked in on a higher floor, still not aware that it was a balcony until we were walking down the hall to our cabin watching the cabin numbers.

Archived