"Guaranteed Cabin" Anyone ever get upgrade?

RJake1

Booked an outside GTY, which was OX, on our recent Spirit cruise and ended up with a deck 5 mid-ship. We were very happy with the cabin as we only paid for a deck 4 porthole. By the way, the Spirit was an awesome ship and the itinerary to the Canary Islands outstanding.

Glad to hear this Chisloop. First time for us with NCL on the Spirit in October going around the Canary Islands too.:D

Booked a guaranteed BX on Spirit in May... still waiting for a room assignment.. is that a good sign? I heard somewhere on the boards that two of the balcony rooms on Spirit have obstructed view... so I am a little concerned...

You may have to be patient, FairyGodmother. Our cabin was assigned 4 days before our cruise. Hopefully you will get a good cabin. Have a grea t cruise.

Booked a guaranteed BX on Spirit in May... still waiting for a room assignment.. is that a good sign? I heard somewhere on the boards that two of the balcony rooms on Spirit have obstructed view... so I am a little concerned...

It was about 25 days before our cruise, when we got assigned our cabin. Just keep checking your "My NCL", My Stateroom, where they will post your cabin assignment.

The thing I see that seems to cause a lot of issues is when somebody gets upgraded to something that NCL considers to be a better category cabin while the people upgraded do not. You see this time and time again.

Many times (although not always) it involves someone with say a Deck 8 Obstructed OV guarantee and they get upgraded to a forward porthole on Deck 4. Yes...the Deck 4 cabin is considered to be a better cabin, but it seems to upset people greatly who would much rather be on Deck 8 and were actually hoping :rolleyes: for an upgrade to a balcony instead.

Another great example...any many of you might remember this...is a woman who booked a balcony guarantee. She was assigned a hull balcony in the forward part of the ship. She was so upset that she spent days lying in bed (during the cruise) crying over her "ruined" vacation and blaming NCL because they didn't tell her that a balcony guarantee meant that she could be assigned to any balcony cabin...including this one. Her ruined cruise was followed up by weeks of her carrying on about it here on the boards as well.

I have nothing against guarantee's...just take some caution, examine the situation, and make 100% sure that you will be happy with ANY possible cabin that they might move you into.

I remember that woman. She was upset because she could not see the ocean from her bed. Many people like the hull balcony because there is less wind. She was not happy.

I have an obstructed OV GTY cabin on the Jade leaving this Sat (4/6/13) and as of today no cabin assigned. I see on the NCL site that all cabins except mini suite and above are sold out for the cruise; I would think if the category is sold out the GTY would be assigned, but I guess not. I might not know my cabin till I get to the port and check in.

Yikes! I guess I will just have to wait it out. Is this the reason I can't print e docs or luggage tags yet?

You should be able to print edocs. I printed them out and the cabin just said GTY. Then when the cabin was assigned the day before we left home, I printed them again with the cabin number. I never bother with luggage tags and just get them at the pier, so I can't speak to those.

I don't know if there's any rhyme or reason to how they assign the cabins. We reserved a BX on the NCL Star in October for a June 2013 cruise and were assigned a balcony on 10, semi-forward, in what looks to be an excellent location -- though we'll see about that later :) -- we received the room assignment in late February.

NCL TA, "Hello Mr. Cruiser, we are reviewing our cabin assignments and see that you have an inside GTY. Thank you very much for being so flexible with your cabin assignment. I'm calling you because I have a deck 10 ocean view cabin that we can never sell because it's located at the very forward and it's right over the theater so it's loud and experiences higher than average movement in rough sea. That being said, I'd like to ask you if you would consider taking this unsellable cabin which is a nice upgrade for you considering the high deck and OV albeit it does have the problems I've told you about. I would really appreciate it if you upgraded to this problematic cabin so that I can sell your cabin again to someone else. How does this sound Mr. Cruiser?"

Mr. Cruiser, "Give me one of your fancy pants coffee machines in my OV room and I'll take that crappy OV room off your hands so that you can make another $1,400 reselling my cabin."

NCL TA, "Thank you sir, I will process the upgrade and make sure that one of our Lavazza coffee machines is placed in your cabin. You have been very helpful, have a good day and a great cruise."....

SAID NO ONE EVER.:rolleyes:

We've only booked specific cabins on NCL, and never been upgraded.

On Princess, we always book mini-suites; sometimes we select the cabin and sometimes we book a GTY. About 50% of the time we get upgraded to a higher category of mini-suite. The only time we got a true upgrade was last year when we were upgraded to a full suite. As luck would have it, we had to cancel shortly before the cruise (and I had a feeling that when we got our cabin assignment it would be a full suite, and it was)!

Go figure.

I am thinking not a chance~~new ship and probably full!:)

Had no choice but to book GTY as that was all that was available- as long as I am on the ship though its all good. I did book an obstructed oceanview GTY on the Gem and got up graded to a full view

11 days to go, and I'm still "The Lady in Waiting."

I was assigned to a mini suite with BX guarantee, this happened two days before sailing. As the cabin was assigned so late, all they had left were minisuites so for me a late assignment worked out very well.

I love guarantees, I'm sure our luck will run out someday but it has been awesome so far.

cruise 1-booked inside guarantee and my final assignment was in an oceanview

cruise 2-booked ov guarantee and my final assigned cabin was a large balcony

cruise 3-booked a balcony guarantee and received a mini-suite

I personally have no interest in picking my cabin as I feel that I have a better chance at an upgrade with a gty. The location on the ship doesn't matter to us so gty's work well for us.

You should be able to print edocs. I printed them out and the cabin just said GTY. Then when the cabin was assigned the day before we left home, I printed them again with the cabin number. I never bother with luggage tags and just get them at the pier, so I can't speak to those.

Where do I download the e docs? It says edocs on the vacation summary, but when I click on it, it just says that I will be able to download them when I have done online checking, etc which I have already done. 42 days and counting...

I haven't cruised before but since nobody has answered yet I'll put in my 2 cents on this. It is my understanding that there is a difference between online check-in and "final" check-in. I think that you can do the final check-in around 2 weeks prior to the sailing and then when you finish that you can download the e-docs...I am sailing in 5 months and it says I'm 100% done and I can't download the E-docs either...so I think 2 weeks before the boat leaves is when I'll be able to do it.

Where do I download the e docs? It says edocs on the vacation summary, but when I click on it, it just says that I will be able to download them when I have done online checking, etc which I have already done. 42 days and counting...

If you booked with an online agency and are part of a group (you may or may not know that the TA put you into a group for a better price or more amenities) you may not be able to print your e-docs until right around 30 days from your cruise date. The entire group has to be finalized before all the e-docs are released. You should call whoever you booked with to find out if you are part of a group and if not, why are your e-docs not ready yet.

Our experience on NCL and Princess with guarantee category for balcony cabins is we ended up with two very forward balcony cabins. I believe it was a BB on NCL a few months ago on a CTN, which technically could be considered an upgrade I guess but it was a hull balcony vs. a more open one.

I personally would not do a guarantee for a longer cruise as I would rather choose a cabin than leave it to chance, never mind the very small chance of being upgraded.

Archived