Room Location

happycruizer

We are getting ready to book a Romantic Rhine trip on the Felicity in August. We will be sailing from Zurich to Amsterdam.......does it matter on which side of the boat our room is locted?

What about direction........is Basel/Zurch to Amsterdam any better than Amsterdam to Basel?

We are getting ready to book a Romantic Rhine trip on the Felicity in August. We will be sailing from Zurich to Amsterdam.......does it matter on which side of the boat our room is locted?

What about direction........is Basel/Zurch to Amsterdam any better than Amsterdam to Basel?

Most people prefer to have a cabin located in the middle of the ship. The bow thrusters can be noisy when going thru locks and docking. Since you are cruising in August I would reserve a cabin that does NOT get the late afternoon sun as that can make your cabin very hot.When we cruised with Avalon Budapest to Amsterdam the people on the port side had to keep their drapes pulled in the late afternoon as the room would get very hot if they did not.

Not sure about that ship, but on many river cruises I always try to get a room by the few ship suites..figured must be best location to charge more,right.....also, figure out which way ship will travel and book on side nearest shore for best views...also, remember you will be docked and if cabin low on ship ,will be looking at dock wall,,so book on uppper decks, if possible...its worth extra to get room with french balcony, can rest on bed and still watch scenery.....of course, any cabin is better than none, so go and enjoy.....have seen posts where people prefer going to west to prevent bad weather from following them,,but sights the same...also if you want to go earlier and spend time in port, pick city that interests you the most....;)

Hello Happy Cruiser - My thoughts on what deck to be on or what side are as follows. We have been on two river cruises and another coming up in August. We always book a cabin on the bottom level. Room sizes are the same except on the upper most deck. Problem on the upper deck is that that is where the dining room is and that aisle fills up right before lunch and dinner and it tough to get out of your room. Plus for the difference in price I can purchase a couple bottles of wine. As to what side I don't think that's a problem for us. Sometimes when you dock you might have to tie up to one or two other ships - walking through to get to the pier. Window size or sliding French balcony is not that important as we are only in the room to sleep. Again everybody has different needs. Ciao, Willard

Hello Happy Cruiser - My thoughts on what deck to be on or what side are as follows. We have been on two river cruises and another coming up in August. We always book a cabin on the bottom level. Room sizes are the same except on the upper most deck. Problem on the upper deck is that that is where the dining room is and that aisle fills up right before lunch and dinner and it tough to get out of your room. Plus for the difference in price I can purchase a couple bottles of wine. As to what side I don't think that's a problem for us. Sometimes when you dock you might have to tie up to one or two other ships - walking through to get to the pier. Window size or sliding French balcony is not that important as we are only in the room to sleep. Again everybody has different needs. Ciao, Willard

On the Avalon Tranquility the dining room is no where even close to the rooms and it would not be possible for anyone to line up outside the room waiting to eat. I guess that just depends on the boat you are on. Regardless if you reserve a room in the middle of the cabins it would be quiet. We very much enjoyed being on the top deck with our French balcony and watching the shore drift by at night with the lights out.Also I need some alone time when traveling like that and I enjoy sitting in my cabin and relaxing with a nice glass of wine and a book and still be able to see the shore.We have reserved a room on the 2nd deck in the middle of the ship with the French balcony for our cruise in April. I would not like to be on the lower deck as I am slightly claustrophobic and don't like the idea of looking out at the water. To each their own for sure.

Thanks for everyone's input. We were able to get a cabin on the top level and mid-ship. This was a trip that had to be rescheduled due to some medical issues so we went with the same category we had originally booked. However, I think we would have been just as happy on the level below and it would have been a bit less expensive........both decks have the french balconies. I just hope nothing else comes up that would prevent us from going.:o

Archived