Ideas on jerks blocking the stairs?

kay1864

I've read about groups of people (often teenagers) sitting on the stairs, blocking anyone from going up or down.

Any clever ideas to handle this?

I don't like "call ship security" as (a) I don't have time to wait for security to arrive when all I want to do is get from the pool to the deck above and (b) it certainly doesn't prevent the same people from doing it again, ad infinitum.

"Take the other stairs" is not an option for me either. I see no need to walk all the way around the pool just because a group of people thinks it's okay to block one set of stairs.

My own inclination is to say "Excuse me" twice (the second time a little louder in case the noise from the pool prevented them from hearing). If still no results, I step on the nearest hand, clearing a path for me to walk up the stairs.

I realize that can result in an altercation (or maybe even a lawsuit) but honestly I'm at a loss as to how one should deal with such inconsiderate behavior.

A poster mentioned carrying a glass of tomato juice while in the buffet line, so someone who rudely jostles you to cut in line will get tomato juice on them. So...anything clever that will work on the stair-blocking problem?

I've read about groups of people (often teenagers) sitting on the stairs, blocking anyone from going up or down.

I don't like "call ship security" as (a) I don't have time to wait for security to arrive when all I want to do is get from the pool to the deck above and (b) it certainly doesn't prevent the same people from doing it again, ad infinitum.

"Take the other stairs" is not an option for me either. I see no need to walk all the way around the pool just because a group of people thinks it's okay to block one set of stairs.

My own inclination is to say "Excuse me" twice (the second time a little louder in case the noise from the pool prevented them from hearing). If still no results, I step on the nearest hand, clearing a path for me to walk up the stairs.

I realize that can result in an altercation (or maybe even a lawsuit) but honestly I'm at a loss as to how one should deal with such inconsiderate behavior.

A poster mentioned carrying a glass of tomato juice while in the buffet line, so someone who rudely jostles you to cut in line will get tomato juice on them. So...anything clever that will work on the stair-blocking problem?

I think a good place to start would go something like this..

"Excuse me, I would like to get through"

If all goes well

"Thanks"

I would focus on the positives for your cruise..not worry about the negatives if possible

I must say would you want your daughter (saw from the pic) to think that throwing tomato juice at people was an OK way to handle a situation...

??? Seriously?

I would say excuse me and leave it at that. Are you really plotting ways to attack people (via steppin gon them and staining their clothing) just so you aren't inconvenienced?

If it is serious enough - call security or deal with the ship crew. If you don't have time to wait for them or to go to the pursers desk then find another set of stairs or an elevator. I honesty can't believe that someone would consider such drastic actions prior to dealing with the on ship authorities. FTR, I have cruised and I have never had an issue with stair blocking.

I've never encountered such a thing on either of my 5 cruises. The only time I had to deal with anyone being rude was on the Splendor in the Atrium lounge for a trivia game. We sat down in a spot, and some woman snapped that she was saving that seat. I moved, but her someone never showed up for the whole game.

Really?? You have spent time thinking of ways of harming your fellow passengers - if they are not behaving as you would like :eek: :confused:.

Honestly....in 8 cruises I have never seen any issue that could not be handled with an "excuse me".

I must say would you want your daughter (saw from the pic) to think that throwing tomato juice at people was an OK way to handle a situation...

Did I say "throwing" tomato juice? Nope. I clearly said that another poster HELD a glass of tomato juice. If they are bumped hard enough by line-breakers (a large problem on their cruise), then the line breaker can easily end up spilling said juice.

Several in their party ended up using that tactic--quite effectively.

And yes, I do indeed think someone who shoves someone out of the way because they don't want to wait in line like everyone else, deserves to end up with large tomato juice stains on their clothes.

Did I say "throwing" tomato juice? Nope. I clearly said that another poster HELD a glass of tomato juice. If they are bumped hard enough by line-breakers (a large problem on their cruise), then the line breaker can easily end up spilling said juice.

Several in their party ended up using that tactic--quite effectively.

And yes, I do indeed think someone who shoves someone out of the way because they don't want to wait in line like everyone else, deserves to end up with large tomato juice stains on their clothes.

How silly of me...that clears it up and makes it all better..:eek:

Archived