Type of shoes for Mayan ruins tours?

PAcruiser116

My BF and I will be taking the Lamanai and New River tour in April through Royal Caribbean. I was wondering what type of shoes people have worn and/or recommend wearing for these types of tours....sneakers, boots, hiking shoes, etc?? I obviously don't want to pack anything bulky I don't need but am not sure what would be the best to wear! What have you worn?

Thanks!

quote.gif

just good walking shoes. i wouldn't pack heavy hiking boots, the walk is only about a mile and a half. you do walk over stones, mud, roots and such...the path is just a dirt path around the site. some will wear flip-flips! we had everything, in our group, from hiking boots to tiny sandals.

the ones with sandals or flip-flops were the slow ones, they were very tired by the end of the day.

the site is amazing, but it doesn't get the big tourist groups that the other sites do. lamanai is very hard to get to and it's a long day. dress for comfort. take your bug spray and extra water.

My BF and I will be taking the Lamanai and New River tour in April through Royal Caribbean. I was wondering what type of shoes people have worn and/or recommend wearing for these types of tours....sneakers, boots, hiking shoes, etc?? I obviously don't want to pack anything bulky I don't need but am not sure what would be the best to wear! What have you worn?

Thanks!

quote.gif

Running or walking shoes are the best and can be worn to the ship so no need to pack them up. Do dress comfortably. Tees and jeans or shorts and bug spray/bug wipes are essential. A light weight long sleeve shirt or tee could help if bugs or sun are too much.

I largely agree with the other posters. Make sure you have shoes with some decent treads so you're not slipping around. Take some boots if you want the added ankle support, but if you intend to stay on the typical tourist circuit that's not a necessity. Be prepared as well for insects and sun.

Archived