Trunk Bay Snorkel Question

les1431

We are planning on going to St. John on our stop next week. I know that the snorkeling is rated high. Does anyone know how far out from the beach we would need to go to actually see sea life? Or should we just look for other snorkelers and follow their lead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this will be not only my friends first trip to the Caribbean, but also her first snorkeling experience...so want to make sure we get it right! Happy Sailing!

When you go to Trunk Bay you will see a little island out in the water. You can't miss it. It looks close, but to swim around the entire thing is quite far. But you can swim out to it and just swim along one side. I didn't find it difficult to swim around it, but I do consider myself to be a pretty strong swimmer. For a first time snorkeler I might recommend a floatie. By the way, last time we were there after we had snorkeled we started talking to this guy who had snorkeled in the cove next to the island. If you're standing on the beach looking out at the water, it's the cove to your left. He said it was some of the best snorkeling he had ever done. I plan on giving it a shot this time. :D

I snorkled Trunk Bay and it is quite a distance. I would definetly recommend a floatie of some kind. I thought I was a pretty good swimmer, but I was very tired when I finished the loop around the island. I certainly would have liked a life vest or floatie.

I am also wondering where the best snorkeling is at Trunk? I've read it is not the trail, but rather along the rocks, or is there a reef on the west side??? Can someone confim or point me in the right direction? Islander - what do you recommend?

ccnwater, I was there just this past week. Inflatable vests are included for no extra charge. I would say 90% of the people there used them. Although they warn against it, a nonswimmer would be able to use them and stay afloat/swim without a problem.

You pay a small entrance fee to get in, then use any of the equipment that they have for no additional charge. Not sure what the adult entrance fee is, but it's quite reasonable. $3? Maybe $5.

Really? I did not realize that. We were there last year, went on our own. This year we are doing it as an excursion thru Carnival, so the price will be included. But I will head up to get an inflatable! I was real tired half way around the trail last time! And I am actually in great shape! Did not help that I was trying to catch up to DH & DS!

dfgf, What cruise were you just on? We are really looking forward to this one. Michigan weather has been real cold!

Hello,

Trunk Bay has an entrance fee and they charge to rent snorkel gear ect. I just gave a call to double check and they said its $5 rental fee with $25 deposit. Rentals are available 9 am and it needs to be returned at 3pm.

The entry fee is $4/adult; 16 & under/Free (entry includes both Trunk Bay and Annaberg Plantation).

--Islander

It's a bit of a swim and using a bouyancy vest or a boogie board might not be a bad idea.

I found it less tiring to just point my head in the direction of the shore and just snorkel back to a depth where I could stand. For me that was less tiring than trying to swim all the way back. A floatation device would have made it much easier, though.

Here's a photo of Trunk bay that will show you the relationship of the snorkel trail to the beach. The snorkel trail circles the islands in the photo that are in the foreground:

http://lrichters.photosite.com/stt/P1010001.html

• 1 month later...

Archived