Do you have to be certified in order to scuba dive?

senunit

I was not sure where to post this question, so I am asking it here because we are traveling with Princess on the Crown in March 2010.

We want to scuba dive in Cozumel, or anywhere along on our itinerary if it does not work out there. We are all good swimmers, but the problem is that none of us are divers. We have never dived and as thus are not certified. Is it possible to experience a safe and yet fairly respectful dive (at least 40 ft.) without a certification?

Please advise, and if so, please provide suggestions for diving tours in Cozumel preferably or Roatan if none in Cozumel that comply with this request.

Thank you in advance.

There are places that will offer a dive certified or not, but, you bare taking your lifr in your hands. I would not do it regardless of my swimming capabilities. Diving is an entirely different thing than swimming or snorkeling. Go for it if you want but just remember you are responsible for your own life.

No, you can't dive without certification. You can, however, find something called Discover Scuba through the cruiseship or Snuba which will let you go down to 25 ft or so. Have fun. After trying Snuba in Barbados my DH and I got certified.

As already mentioned, you'll only be able to do the DSD (Discover Scaba Diving). But this isn't always a bad thing. I did a DSD out of Cayman Islands and did a nice shore dive down to about 45 feet. You have to listen to a 30 minute lesson first (just one time then you get a card to not have to go through the intro again).

At St Thomas, the DSD students were on the same boat as the certified divers. In that case, they were limited to 25 feet and so not so nice a dive.

RCCL AOS offers an on board training class to get certified.

Thank you for such fast responses.

Would you guys consider diving in the depths of 25 ft. fun? Is that a reasonable starting point, or is it a fairly boring excursion. I totally understand the safety side of it and agree that it is the best approach toward an excursion of this sort. However, we do want to experience an exciting excursion, so my question is geared for an answer from this perspective. Thank you again.

As already mentioned, you'll only be able to do the DSD (Discover Scaba Diving). But this isn't always a bad thing. I did a DSD out of Cayman Islands and did a nice shore dive down to about 45 feet. You have to listen to a 30 minute lesson first (just one time then you get a card to not have to go through the intro again).

At St Thomas, the DSD students were on the same boat as the certified divers. In that case, they were limited to 25 feet and so not so nice a dive.

RCCL AOS offers an on board training class to get certified.

Do you recollect the particular DSD tour you did in the Cayman Islands? Thanks!

The DSD was through Carnival excursions. The dive shop was Don Foster's. A fairly easy walk from the pier. Certified divers went out on a boat. DSD's shore dove. Very pretty coral and fish considering it's just a few yards off shore.

Would you guys consider diving in the depths of 25 ft. fun? Is that a reasonable starting point, or is it a fairly boring excursion.

There is nothing wrong with 25 foot depths. Everything depends on where you are taken. Sometimes 25 feet dives off the shore will be better than one off a boat. Most places will try to give the best dive possible so that you will consider getting certified. Return customers are always a good thing for them.

Would you guys consider diving in the depths of 25 ft. fun? Is that a reasonable starting point, or is it a fairly boring excursion. I totally understand the safety side of it and agree that it is the best approach toward an excursion of this sort. However, we do want to experience an exciting excursion, so my question is geared for an answer from this perspective. Thank you again.

While on PARADISE with Carnival some folks did a "Discover Scuba" dive and we all went to Coki Point. We were all on the same bus. Luisa our divemaster divided us up into several groups. Having dived for 37 years she asked me to take a group of experienced divers with me and we did the reef at the point (65-75 feet)...not much plantlife, but as they feed the fish at the beach (beach entry dive) you get to see lots of blue tangs and angel fish. Even got to swim for 35 minutes with "Old Charlie" a 5 ft Barracuda, who is like the resident pet. He comes over your shoulder and loves swimming with you in the bubbles from your regulator, even lets you pet him...what an experience!!!

Those in the Discover Scuba class got the basics onshore, instruction on how to don and doff the equipment and practice breatking in the shallows to about 10 ft of water before several divemasters took them to the shallow portion of the reef down to about 35-40 feet...not much plantlife, but they did get great views of fish and a great intro to a great sport.

I encourage you to get certified even if the intro merely whets your appetite and once you've logged some hours, then you can convince your DM to take you for a deep dive, cave dive, reef dive etc etc.

Did "The Wall" in Cozumel with an RCCL group and we started boat entry down to 50 feet then through some Fire Coral caves to the edge at 80 feet. We all agreed and over the edge we went down to 120 feet...fantastic vis (120ft straight up and could see boats, fish and even the blue sky). Great plantlife such as coral and anemones clinging to the wall's edge all the way down and colourful fish galore.

For a few hundred $$$$ get yourself certified and enjoy the peace and adventure that you can appreciate in yet another part of this great universe. Starting out, you can always rent your gear. Even with a "C" card you'll still have to sign off on a medical questionnaire before you take part on a ship's dive excursion, intro or experienced.

Ciao for now!!!

Be very careful with this. My DH took an introductory scuba excursion many years ago while sailing with Princess in Hawaii, and there were way too many people for the amount of instructors. They took too many down, one went into panic mode, my DH was left all alone and shot up out of the water like a bullet. They gave very little instruction, there was no practice time with the gear, they said they didn't have time. They just suited everyone up and took groups down. A year later and some lengthy neck surgery to correct the damage done by this 'introductory scuba class' and he has never attempted it again.

Learn first, dive second, it isn't worth the chance. :(

Be very careful with this. My DH took an introductory scuba excursion many years ago while sailing with Princess in Hawaii, and there were way too many people for the amount of instructors. They took too many down, one went into panic mode, my DH was left all alone and shot up out of the water like a bullet. They gave very little instruction, there was no practice time with the gear, they said they didn't have time. They just suited everyone up and took groups down. A year later and some lengthy neck surgery to correct the damage done by this 'introductory scuba class' and he has never attempted it again.

Learn first, dive second, it isn't worth the chance. :(

What kind of a neck injury did he get from scuba diving? Never heard of that in 37 years of diving.

Ciao for now!!!

I did a intro dive with shore lesson and shallow (less than 20ft) shore dive with an instructor nearly 30 years ago in St John. Then went out with the dive master, an assitant dive master, my husband and three others. My husband and the three other guests were all long time certified divers. The dive master held my hand and checked all the gages the whole time and we went to about 75 ft with the rest of the group, but very slowly. It was a wonderful experience and I felt and was very safe. I then went on to get certified and have been diving since then along with my husband, our children and in-law children.

My point is, if you have time, go get certified, you don't have to live near the ocean. It only takes some class time and two or three shallow dives...about 2-3weeks spread over 4 to 6 days. You can then go on the ships dive...they are not usually the greatest, but for a beginner they are definitely fun especially if you have clear water.

We have been diving on all our cruises to the Islands. We have done both ship arranged dives and private dives. From what I have seen I wouldn't waste my money on the Ship's intro dives in the Islands. Most Islands do not have coral/fish and clear water close to shore or where it is shallow. Therefore the intro dives at not worth the cost...with the big group in close quarters, makes for poor water conditions and a poor experience. I definitely wouldn't try diving in Cozomel, Aruba or Rotan...Cozomel is current diving... sometimes very strong, In three dives, Aruba has had very cloudy water, almost no fish and no coral and the coral in Rotan is badly beat up from the big storms of the last few years...it use to be very nice, but not any more.

The best diving in the 40ft or less is shore diving in GC something like the Devil's Grotto or maybe around by the turtle farm or St Thomas..Coki Point. There are several operators in those areas. I actually like dives of 35-50 feet best because you see all the colors, much deeper, everything turns to shades of blue. If you are determined to do a intro divie...try to do one as a private group with a private padi operator on one of the Islands above. Go an-line and check for dive orerators on the Island, contact them and tell them what you are looking for. Most dive shops offer an intro 1 dive session for around $100-150 pp (two years ago). With your small group, you might be able to work something like that out on-line. The operators usually will pick up at the dock and return you. This type of activity would probably take 3-4 hours depending on where you go. It would be a worthwhile, definitely more so than anything the ship will arrange and the only way I would do it.

Good Luck...diving is great, but a bad start could ruin it for you!

Sorry that should be Cozumel and Roatan...

One more thing...you really need to break the 30 foot mark, less than that, it hard to control the BC and stay level..other words, really enjoy the dive.

The other thing is if you happen to have a problem clearing your ears the day you dive, you will not be able to go much below 30 feet...so the best first dive plan would be in the 30-40 foot range.

If you are going to GC...contact Foster...they are a big operation. There are other groups on GC... contact several others privately too.

I was not sure where to post this question, so I am asking it here because we are traveling with Princess on the Crown in March 2010.

We want to scuba dive in Cozumel, or anywhere along on our itinerary if it does not work out there. We are all good swimmers, but the problem is that none of us are divers. We have never dived and as thus are not certified. Is it possible to experience a safe and yet fairly respectful dive (at least 40 ft.) without a certification?

Please advise, and if so, please provide suggestions for diving tours in Cozumel preferably or Roatan if none in Cozumel that comply with this request.

Thank you in advance.

Another option is to do a "Snuba" excursion if available. In Aruba we did a Snuba excursion and I think it is a nice cross between snorkeling and scuba with less stress and potential risks.

I would agree with the other posters it is better to be certified at home and not wait until you reach shore on your cruise.

go to 4:50 of this video http://blip.tv/file/2900609

This is our discovery scuba in St.Thomas (coki beach) from this past November. I am a certified diver, my wife is not. We had a great time and if you have never been diving before this is a great introduction to it. When you are looking down at the bottom 10ft feels just like 100 ft so depth is no big thing IMO. Equipment failure is rare in warm water and today's modern equipment is very reliable. Like I said I am certified and know the dangers and had no problem at all letting my wife do this. In my opinion there is very little risk in this as long as you stay calm.

Sorry CWN, just wanted to post a little clearer information as most people who read these do not dive and do not know:

If you can't control your BC and bouyance at any depth, you should take a refresher class.

You should NOT dive if you cannot clear your ears!! No Clearning/Ear Pain...GO UP!!! It does not get easier to clear after 30', only longer distance between atmospheres. Most barotrauma occurs in the first 30'!!!!

My intro to diving was in Destin Florida, a resort dive to 30 feet, one on one with instructor. Best experience I've ever had. Now 18 years and hundreds of dives later, if I had not taken this intro dive, in VERY safe conditions, I probably would not be a diver today. Just make sure it's with a good operator and in very small student to instructor ratio, otherwise it could be dangerous. The depth really doesn't matter, you find interesting things at all depths, just pick site with great visiblity for the dive, adds to what can be seen. Roatan, very good, haven't been since the hurricane, but to me , the best area in the caribbean. G. Cayman and Cozumel also very good, and on the intro dives, usually go to places with a very gentle current and you just float along with the current enjoying the sites.

Let me just give you a little backround. I am a Divemaster and a Technical diver who has logged over 100 dives and several of those well beyond the recreational limit of 130 feet. However one of my all time favorite dives was on a shallow reef of of Roatan in the 20-30 foot range. That being said deeper isnt always more fun!

I am sure your local dive shop has a intro to Scuba class where they will put you in a pool and let you see if it is for you. IF you like it I sugguest you get certified before you hit the open water. It will allow you to focus more on the beautiful scenery instead of trying to get aquanited with the the function of diving.

I have ... how many dives? .. dunno but my original PADI instructor's number was a single digit number; and we learned with single stage twin hose regulators!

Deeper does not equal better. Most divers go thru the phase where deeper is better but it just ain't so. Yes, some divers rack their points on deep ... there are things to be seen that are deep. But there's plenty to see in the lesser depths too. I've come to spend most of my time in the 30 to 50 foot range ... very good for photography and video.

A lot depends on the site....I don't dive for the depth but go to the depth the site might require. In Grand Cayman if you want to get the 'wall' effect off 7 mile beach you need to go to 90 to 100 feet. But go to Little Cayman's Bloody Bay and get the wall effect at 45 feet - AND MORE BOTTOM TIME! I know a quarry where you can get to 120 foot depth .... you won't see anything down there and it is cold as heck...but you can check off 120 on your depth meter . . .

+++++++++++++++++

To OP

In Cayman you can arrange a shore 'resort course' , a PADI sanctioned dive for a 'non-diver' at Sunset House. I have hundreds of dives on the reef off Sunset House' pier and it is a goodie else I'd not have been back so many times huh

contact Sunsethouse.com

Without a dive qualification the only diving you can do is a Discover Scuba Diving experience.

If the dive center is a PADI Center (check at http://www.padi.com) AND the experience is run to PADI standards then your experience will start with a pool session in order for you to get accustomed to breathing on scuba gear followed by an ocean dive to a maximum depth of 40 ft.

In some cases the pool may be substituted with a calm water shallow ocean orientation before the main dive (particularly if your are diving from the shore rather than a boat).

In all cases you should have a briefing on the kit you will be using, some safety rules and a briefing on the dive itself. You will also be in a group of 4 divers maximum to 1 instructor.

Before booking, ask exactly what the experience entails as it can differ from island to island. All the main dive training agencies have very similar standards but there are no laws saying a DSD has to be run to any agencies standards.

The PADI DSD is designed to remove as many risks as possible for the diver (although diving cannot be "risk free"), that is the reason for the 40 ft depth, the 4 to 1 ratio and the shallow water / pool introduction.

Here in St Kitts I take many, many divers out for the first time, I have numerous emails thanking me and saying what a "wonderful experience" it was.

We are fortunate here in that we have a number of dive sites that are ideal for novice divers with lots and lots of cool marine life to see.

My job in the water is to ensure you have a safe, enjoyable dive experience, I worry about all the technical stuff, while the diver enjoys the dive.

This is also a great way for qualified divers to take their friends diving and for qualified parents to enjoy diving with their children for the first time.

My advice is to go and enjoy it, if you are a comfortable swimmer then you can dive. If you can snorkel you will find diving is much easier and you see much more.

In the words of an 11 yr old , as he climbed back onto the boat, took off his mask. looked at his mum and said in a very loud voice "AWESOME"

That brought a big smile to my face :):)

You can find a fill description of the PADI DSD at this website along with a download link to the PADI official form.

Hope this helps.

Let me just give you a little backround. I am a Divemaster and a Technical diver who has logged over 100 dives and several of those well beyond the recreational limit of 130 feet. However one of my all time favorite dives was on a shallow reef of of Roatan in the 20-30 foot range. That being said deeper isnt always more fun!

I agree 100%

The only point in going deep is if there is something worth seeing such as the "Bianca C" in Grenada at 130ft+

Otherwise give me a beautiful reef at 30 ft, fire up the camera and I will see you in a couple of hours. Bliss!

WOW! Thank you ALL so much for such insightful details. Some of your descriptions almost made me feel like I was "diving" already.

The reason I asked my original question was not because I wanted to dive to depths of 100 ft or more, even not 50 ft. Im a novice and as good a swimmer and snorkeler I may be I am fully aware that this is in a whole league of its own. I was actually fairly turned off by the company offering a 20 ft. shore dive. Now with all due respect to the sport of diving, I just feel like that is cutting even a first time experience short.

The name of the company we are speaking to now is Mau Cozumel, I believe. They are offering a small training session as many of you have discussed. Following that and some shallow diving there is the DSD 20 ft. dive. They have suggested an additional boat dive at 40 ft. to follow. At this point, we are all very intrigued for two reasons: 1. the second dive would involve boat diving, which I presume is a really cool experience especially for the first time and 2. because it involved a bit of a deeper dive.

By the sounds of all of your advice, 40 ft. still seems to be within the PADI DSD range and will certainly be A LOT of fun, being that many of you stand behind the beauty of a 25-30 ft. dive.

Judging by all of the circumstances, at this time we all feel confident and would like to pull the trigger on the excursion. In the meantime, a follow up pertaining to the sounds of it from you PROs out there would continue to be of much value.

Thank you all again. This has been all very beneficial, just from an educational perspective alone.

Archived