Oceana / Panama Canal / March / US Visa waiver question

tiernsee

My parents are booked on the Panama Canal cruise on the Oceana (5th March I think). They received some details through the post and one of the pieces of information they found was that they had to wait 5-6 hours in Acapulco before getting on the ship. My Dad phoned P&O who explained that they could, in fact, get on the ship, but their cabin may not be ready for a few hours. That crisis solved!

However, the woman at P&O asked my Dad if they had their US visa waiver forms. She gave him the details and he went on line and did it. He was telling me that evening when I said, "but you are not going to America on this trip!". He checked the itinerary and quite right, they are not going to America. He made another phone call to P&O who advised that whilst it is planned that the plane to Acapulco stops at Barbados, it may in fact travel via Miami (hence the need for a US visa waiver!). What my parents would have done had they got to Miami, not had the visa waiver form, I'm not sure.

Thought I would post a message hear to warn other travellers on this cruise to make sure they have the appropriate documentation and to see if anyone had been told about this in advance?

Hope you all have great holidays!

On our documentation for the Panama Cruise on Oceana last month it stated we needed to complete the ESTA form as we were refuelling in Sanford, Florida. We had previously received notification from P&O that we needed the ESTA form. We flew from Gatwick and given that the flight is long it wasn't too bad. We stopped in Sanford for about an hour - no more - for refuelling. Had to complete immigration forms for Acapulco once we got there as there weren't any on plane but I think they usually have them on board.

We flew on Thomas Cook from Acapulco back to Manchester in January. our plane did not stop to refuel as it was a large plane (Airbus 330 I think) so we didnt need an Esta, but the passengers flying back by Thomsons did as they needed to refuel in Sanford USA. Think it all depends on the size of your plane. You would be told before you go on your cruise anyway. For those people who still hadn't applied for theirs there's the opportunity to do it onboard in the cyberstudy. There were reminders nearly everyday towards the end of the cruise.

I wonder why they need an ESTA for you to presumably troop off the plane to a holding area then back on again? Airside is usually regarded as sort of neutral ground.

I worked for an airline that had a service via Miami to San José Costa Rica. Although all the passengers were kept in a rather bleak holding area with nowhere to go until they could go back on board, all pax had to fill out a Visa Waiver. Pax who needed a visa for the US were not allowed on this flight, even if they said they would be happy to sit on the aircraft during cleaning and refuelling. The US authorities do not allow it, as they are too afraid of illegal immigrants or asylum seekers.

Tiernsee: as some people have already hinted, they might also have to fill out the ESTA online, not only the Visa Waiver.

Can't swear to it but I think the visa waiver is a thing of the past & you need to have one of these ESTA things, which incidentally, can be filled in quite easily online at NO COST...beware of sites that charge.

No. The Visa Waiver form is still in use and all that has changed is that the ESTA is required AS WELL if you are travelling with the intention of using the Visa Waiver Scheme.

No. The Visa Waiver form is still in use and all that has changed is that the ESTA is required AS WELL if you are travelling with the intention of using the Visa Waiver Scheme.

Thanks for the info... we are cruising later in the year & visiting several ports in the US

Hi

We did this cruise last November 2009. We flew Thomas Cook from Manchester overnight flight, refuelled in Barbados, and weren't allowed off the plane. Flight was 8.5 hrs to there and 1.5 hrs refuel, and then 6 hrs onto Acapulco.

Traffic can be bad so 1-2 hrs from airport to ship. Luggage arrived 5 hrs later. So pack t shirts and shorts in hand luggage so you can shower and change without waiting for luggage.(if cabins not ready you can use the Spa showers)

Have a great trip

Wendy

Archived