Which Barbados beach was your favorite and why?

bellebride116

When in Barbados this month I had intended to go to Rockley beach and walk the boardwalk. I met up with some ladies from Wales who had friends who always go to a hotel called Southern Palms at St. Lawrence Gap which was a little bit further than Rockley. I decided to join them and had a wonderful day. We stopped at the open air front desk and said that their hotel came highly recommended and they allowed us to use their chairs on the beach and their pool free of charge as long as their were enough for their guests. They also had a beachfront restaurant and bar with good food and reasonable prices. I had a delicious flying fish sandwich and a rum punch. The beach in front of the hotel was clean with nice white sand. There were very few people on this part of the beach; but, just a short distance away, there were public chair and umbrella rentals and the beach there was very crowded. There are some waves at this beach and we did see sea turtles surfing in the waves. The taxi fare was $15 per person round trip, paid when picked up and taken back to the ship.

When in Barbados this month I had intended to go to Rockley beach and walk the boardwalk.

I met up with some ladies from Wales

who had friends who always go to a hotel called Southern Palms at St. Lawrence Gap

which was a little bit further than Rockley..

OK -that woulda bin DOVER BEACH, down towards its Western end.

I took some pics recently, up the Eastern end of this beach...

DoverBch-264.jpg

DoverBch-266.jpg

DoverBch-239.jpg

When in Barbados this month I had intended to go to Rockley beach and walk the boardwalk. I met up with some ladies from Wales who had friends who always go to a hotel called Southern Palms at St. Lawrence Gap which was a little bit further than Rockley. I decided to join them and had a wonderful day. We stopped at the open air front desk and said that their hotel came highly recommended and they allowed us to use their chairs on the beach and their pool free of charge as long as their were enough for their guests. They also had a beachfront restaurant and bar with good food and reasonable prices. I had a delicious flying fish sandwich and a rum punch. The beach in front of the hotel was clean with nice white sand. There were very few people on this part of the beach; but, just a short distance away, there were public chair and umbrella rentals and the beach there was very crowded. There are some waves at this beach and we did see sea turtles surfing in the waves. The taxi fare was $15 per person round trip, paid when picked up and taken back to the ship.

I went to Rockley last year and loved it and was planning on returning again in May, but this sounds amazing and the pictures from Aplmac look beautiful!!

Aplmac, are there many differences between the two?? What do you recommend, knowing that we just want relaxing beach time and some light food/beverages? I know I can't really go wrong with Accra, but what about Dover??

I went to Rockley last year and loved it and was planning on returning again in May,

but this sounds amazing and the pictures from Aplmac look beautiful!!

Aplmac, are there many differences between the two??

What do you recommend, knowing that we just want relaxing beach time and some light food/beverages?

I know I can't really go wrong with Accra, but what about Dover??

Accra/Rockley has the edge over Dover, although both are nice South Coast beaches.

Accra has two things Dover hasn't:

the boardwalk leading down to Hastings Beach, with Hilton beyond

-and peripheral activities nearby. I speak about some minor shopping at nearby Quayside Mall,

which includes Just Grillin of recent flying-fish-sandwich fame

as well as Chefette fast food, and the snack-shacks right on the beach.

Accra has its own bus-stop right on the main coastal road

and a taxi stand 50 yds. away, just outside the Accra Beach Hotel.

It's unbelievably central and convenient.

It's the nerve center of South Coast beach activity. :D

My vote is for Accra. Admittedly I have only been to that beach, but I couldn't imagine a better beach PERIOD. Powder fine white sand beach. Nothing in the sand at all not any trash, sticks, seaweed, rocks, coral fragments, shells JUST pure fine sand. That goes for the water. Nothing to step on once you enter the surf just sand. The bars were reasonably priced and the beach was not crowded. The sun was always at our feet since it is on the south side of the island. The surf was absolutely perfect (OK, I know that can be variable).

We rented chairs and sat there the whole day, occassionally getting in the surf for a refreshing dip. Nice cool water.

I'd be more than happy to be a tour guide to this one of a kind beach if someone wanted to drag me along. I'd pay for my own drinks of course ;)

During my honeymoon I got to go to Miami Beach a couple of times and it was great! This beach is located far from the port on the southern end. I usually go to brandon's beach because it is close to my in-laws and Accra Beach and Rockley Beach are good as well.

The South Coast beaches seem to suit the casual cruise visitor & tourist who wants facilities, bars, music, beach chairs, watersports, etc. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this, just some like this & some don't, I happen to think there is more to the island than this.

OK -that woulda bin DOVER BEACH, down towards its Western end.

I took some pics recently, up the Eastern end of this beach...

DoverBch-264.jpg

DoverBch-266.jpg

DoverBch-239.jpg

you always show the best views from your pictures and it made us so hard to choose just one of so many beauties in the limited time. But now I know if I'll take one week vacation, Barbados is one of my dreams.

thanks for your sharing.

The South Coast beaches seem to suit the casual cruise visitor & tourist

who wants facilities, bars, music, beach chairs, watersports, etc.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, just some like this & some don't,

I happen to think there is more to the island than this. ===> Oh definitely!

Of course there's plenty more to Barbados than just doing a beach.

But given a mere 6 hrs. ashore, whatcha gonna do?

You can't possibly do it all, not even in two full days.

Which is why I'm always suggesting that people might consider returning for a week's stay in a hotel

to do all of what this island has to offer.

A recent Barbados Tourism Authority slogan claims..

Barbados -never a dull moment! ..and that's not too far from the truth!

Barbados is --and always has been(since 1700 A.D.)-- a busy island

a hub of activity for the British Colonial West Indies as it was referred to, back then.

6-8 hrs. ashore here is a mere taster.

See you back here for a week,sometime (for the umpteenth time!) :D

Spiral-44.jpg

Interior of St.John's Parish Church

I agree, we stay for three weeks usually, haven't been for a couple of years now, we used to love the location of Kings Beach & Sandridge up in St.Peter, that is MY Barbados, not the hustle bustle of the area around H7 & the gap. I can't see why on earth people stay there, great for a visit...absolutely. My problem will be where to stay when we return, where we like has gone, one derelict due to bad management the other demolished in the ''condoisation'' of the area.

My problem will be where to stay when we return, where we like has gone,

one derelict due to bad management ===> That's Kings Beach..

the other demolished in the ''condoisation'' of the area. ===> What? Sandridge? OMG!

Isn't Sandridge still there?? :eek:

That lovely area immediately South of Sandridge, with taaaall coconut trees

is now host to a humongous concrete erection which has completely spoiled that bit:

we just passed that area two weekends ago and saw it!!

I used to live in a shack right under those tall coconuts,

back in 1973 when I was a hippie :D -right on the beach! oh memories.

Owned me a Hasselblad SWC back then..

Noooo Maaan! Sandridge she gaan! I reckon I met you under dem trees, poor people, all smokin' one cigarette!! The people who owned Sandridge (& driveamatic & Sugar cane club...) tried to buy the land next door where the development is, no luck, then Virgin pulled out of the hotel so they sold it to the developers, it was knocked down about a year ago. as for KBH well who knows, had some very happy memories there. We would walk down to Reids one day & up to Speightstown the next, or in the afternoon. Lovely area. Do you remember Greensleeves before it became that posh house? How about ''Franklyn'' that has Jentilla, or "Chappie" & his sons that live on the beach near the ''Great house'' When Mullins beach bar was a real beach bar.

Is there a bus route from the port going north?? Towards all the beaches...Brandon, Paradise, Paynes bay??

You can get a bus anywhere on the island within reason BDS$1-50 a trip. BUT if you are only there for a few hours I say don't waste your time on a bus, either decide on a place to go & do it by cab(you can share) or take a tour. Allow at least an hour to get back to the ship, Islands have rush hours too!

Archived