Skagway Rhino Tour

CALMOM

I have heard that there is a Rhino (ATV) tour in Skagway but I have not been able to find it either on CC, Princess Cruise Excursions or internet. Is there a Rhino Tour in Skagway and if so, can you tell me what the name of the company or website?

Thank you

If there is it's new this year, and I've heard nothing.

O.K. thanks. We were going to go fishing in Skagway but I have heard nothing good about fishing there and think if fishing is desired then it really has to be in Ketchikan. So now I'm trying to come up with something fun for all 6 (ages 52,50.25.21,20 &19) of us to do in Skagway other then the Train, renting a car, sightseeing. The kids really want to do a physical activity, except for hiking.

Perfect, Thank you. Now if I can find someone who has done this excursions, that would be even better. I'll wait a while on this Thread and if no response then I'll post a Thread about this company.

Use the Search - there are quite a few, all positive.

Perfect, Thank you. Now if I can find someone who has done this excursions, that would be even better. I'll wait a while on this Thread and if no response then I'll post a Thread about this company.

Thank you again so much

We took this excursion on the second week of our B2B this last summer. First let me say that we do have a 4x4 at home and do extreme riding and this is definately a family excursion. We enjoyed the day but it was a little docile for us. The couple that was with us have never been on 4x4's and so they had a very good time.

They will pick you up at the ferry and take you by bus to the excursion. Our driver was very nice. They will give you a short safety lesson and everyone gets to pick who drives and who rides. This is a nice ride on a dirt road that they have carved up the mountain. You will ride in 4x4 mules that will seat 4 people. The people in back ride higher than the driver which makes it nice for viewing scenery. They will stop at a building on the way up for tasty cookies & coffee and then on the way down they will furnish you a very good lunch.

I noticed on your other post that you are wanting physical activity for your kids. This is not a physical activity. It will be fun for them to drive or ride in the 4x4 but this trip is about scenery.

We did enjoy riding on the ferry. On the way back it was a nice enough day that we rode on the outside all the way back to Skagway.:)

If you have any questions just let me know!

We took this excursion on the second week of our B2B this last summer. First let me say that we do have a 4x4 at home and do extreme riding and this is definately a family excursion. We enjoyed the day but it was a little docile for us. The couple that was with us have never been on 4x4's and so they had a very good time.

They will pick you up at the ferry and take you by bus to the excursion. Our driver was very nice. They will give you a short safety lesson and everyone gets to pick who drives and who rides. This is a nice ride on a dirt road that they have carved up the mountain. You will ride in 4x4 mules that will seat 4 people. The people in back ride higher than the driver which makes it nice for viewing scenery. They will stop at a building on the way up for tasty cookies & coffee and then on the way down they will furnish you a very good lunch.

I noticed on your other post that you are wanting physical activity for your kids. This is not a physical activity. It will be fun for them to drive or ride in the 4x4 but this trip is about scenery.

We did enjoy riding on the ferry. On the way back it was a nice enough day that we rode on the outside all the way back to Skagway.:)

If you have any questions just let me know!

Thank you Luvlake, I did notice that there was 4 seats per mule. There is 6 of us so would it be possible to get 3 mules, instead of 2. I am sure each of my kids would love to drive one of the directions. If they only allow us to get 2 of the mules, 4 of us in one and 2 of us in the other, will they stick 2 strangers with us. Thanks again.

They have several mules available. I don't think you would have any trouble with 2 in each mule as long as it was not a full excursion. It is also fine for one driver to drive up and another drive down. That's what our group did.

Thank you again so much

We did this excursion back in 2007 and had a great time. Here are some pictures. It's best if you click the "slideshow" view and look at them that way.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/559812260LCbogf

Thank you Luvlake, I did notice that there was 4 seats per mule. There is 6 of us so would it be possible to get 3 mules, instead of 2. I am sure each of my kids would love to drive one of the directions. If they only allow us to get 2 of the mules, 4 of us in one and 2 of us in the other, will they stick 2 strangers with us. Thanks again.

You do have to be a licensed driver to drive the "mules".

O.K. thanks. We were going to go fishing in Skagway but I have heard nothing good about fishing there and think if fishing is desired then it really has to be in Ketchikan. So now I'm trying to come up with something fun for all 6 (ages 52,50.25.21,20 &19) of us to do in Skagway other then the Train, renting a car, sightseeing. The kids really want to do a physical activity, except for hiking.

She says that the kids are 19,20,21 & 25. They should be okay!

I don't remember them asking us for licenses. Must have been the gray hair of the drivers that gave it away!:D

Here's the review of the excursion I wrote back in 2007:

Our planned excursion was the Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4X4. We were met at the end of the pier by a young lady who directed us to a small bus. After a quick 5-minute bus ride, we got onboard the Chilkat Fast-Ferry for our 35- minute ride to Haines. Lynn Canal is the deepest and longest fjord in North America. It was a scenic ride with a couple of stops to look at a waterfall and steller sea lions sunning themselves on a large rock. After arriving in Haines, we boarded a bus for about a 20-minute ride to the trailhead at Takshanuk Mountain.

We loaded into our 4X4 Kawasaki Mules and headed up the mountain trail. We opted to sit in the back seat so we could take pictures and let a nice, young couple from Florida drive. A valid driver’s license is required to drive the “Mules”. A few of the “Mules” held 2 people but most held 4. It’s a very winding unpaved trail that is very bumpy but a lot of fun! Our first stop was at the 1100 ft elevation at a modern little cabin (complete with running water and bathroom facilities). We were offered coffee, hot chocolate, lemonade and warm cookies just out of the oven! We spent about 30 minutes taking in the beautiful scenery and enjoying the snacks.

Back into our “Mules” and up the mountain we went. Bear and moose are frequently seen in the area, but the closest we got was fresh bear droppings by the side of the trail! He must have heard us coming and high-tailed it out of there! After several photo stops along the way, we arrived at our 1,500 ft elevation destination overlooking Lutak Inlet and Chilkoot Lake. WOW! What spectacular views! The pictures we took don’t do justice to the beauty that we encountered. There was still a good amount of snow up there and there were several kids from Florida who had never seen snow before and had great fun throwing snowballs and sliding down the hill.

After plenty of time for photos and playing in the snow, we headed back down the mountain for lunch at the cabin. We had a delicious buffet lunch including beer battered halibut, BBQ chicken, coleslaw, potatoes and a wonderful fruit salad.

All too soon, it was time to load back into our “Mules” and continue down the mountain to our original starting point. We got back on the bus and headed back to Haines with a quick stop at a beach on Lynn Canal for a photo shot of Haines off in the distance. The bus driver then took us for a short driving tour of Haines including historic Fort Steward, the first US Army outpost in Alaska, dropping us back at the pier for our Fast-Ferry trip back to Skagway.

We had a great time and highly recommend this excursion. Just remember to dress warmly (in layers) and bring rain gear in case of inclement weather. Depending on what time of year you go, a hat and gloves might be needed.

You do have to be a licensed driver to drive the "mules".

Yes, everyone has licenses. I did have to laugh though, I told my daughter we were going to do this excursions in Skagway where we ride on mules in Haines. She gave me a dirty look and said "Mom, I don't think riding mules (donkeys) will be much fun". I had to laugh and then I explained what the "mule" was.

Thank you everyone for your help.

She says that the kids are 19,20,21 & 25. They should be okay!

I don't remember them asking us for licenses. Must have been the gray hair of the drivers that gave it away!:D

Thanks for sharing your pics, they were great, looks like you had a great time

Yes, everyone has licenses. I did have to laugh though, I told my daughter we were going to do this excursions in Skagway where we ride on mules in Haines. She gave me a dirty look and said "Mom, I don't think riding mules (donkeys) will be much fun". I had to laugh and then I explained what the "mule" was.

Thank you everyone for your help.

The same thing happened when I told my husband that we would be riding on mules! He gave me that ARE YOU CRAZY look. I quickly told him "no it is a 4x4 mule". I huge look of relief!:)

• 5 months later...

Archived