Dinner near Hyatt Downtown

Got lucky and booked into the Hyatt downtown for one night May 22nd.

Looking for dinner within walking distance from the Hyatt, looking for reasonable dinner $20-30 PP. Would like either seafood or ambiance or something Vancouver is known for since were only there 1 day.

In regards to seafood, I presume Vancouver is known for Salmon, anything else?

Joe Fortes, the Keg, are two that are about 1.5 blocks from the hotel - you are in the heart of the restaurant district so no shortage of places to eat.

Hope this helps - other regulars will be along as well.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Fortes, the Keg, are two that are about 1.5 blocks from the hotel - you are in the heart of the restaurant district so no shortage of places to eat.

Hope this helps - other regulars will be along as well.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis...

How far of a walk would it be to Joe Fortes from the Pan Pacific hotel?

Is this "safe" to walk in the evening?

How long "timewise" would it take to walk at a comfortable walking pace?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us!

Pat :)

I'm not Dennis, but it is a 15 min walk (at best) from the Pan Pacific -- it is all of 1000m -- and yes, it is entirely safe to walk in the evening. On your way, you'll walk right past the Hyatt, so you can pick up Billabongi - teehee.

Scott.

Hi Dennis here:

More than a little hoarse and hung over from all the Olympic stuff yesterday - an interesting situation is developing regarding who is actually winning the Games - according to the Press and we know they are always right - it is the Americans, then the Germans, then us Canadians in the actual medal count BUT the IOC the body that everyone loves to hate considers the country with the MOST GOLD MEDALS to be the winner - and right now that country is Canada - the true north strong and free.

A little patriotism from me this morning as the eggs are a little more than scrambled after a night of celebrating and we have two days to go.

Oh I just had a brain fart - this is a cruising forum isn't it.

Yes as the previous poster posted it is a safe area.

Cheers and GO CANADA GO !!!

I concur with Ut's recommendation of Joe Fortes, it is kind of a touchstone in dining in downtown Vancouver...however it will likely be closer to $30pp then $20. Another suggestion would be Cardero's which is an up scale marine pub which has a menu built around fish. It is a bit of a walk from the Hyatt (about 8 blocks) but you can get within 2 blocks of it by bus. link

I concur with Ut's recommendation of Joe Fortes, it is kind of a touchstone in dining in downtown Vancouver...however it will likely be closer to $30pp then $20. Another suggestion would be Cardero's which is an up scale marine pub which has a menu built around fish. It is a bit of a walk from the Hyatt (about 8 blocks) but you can get within 2 blocks of it by bus. link

How's Joes for dress or any of the other restaurants? We're going to be out at Capilano and Grouse all day and its debatable at this point if we'll make it back to the hotel before dinner.

Are casual clothes (jeans\tshirt) ok for these places?

Cardero's would be ok with jeans and Fortes .... well you maybe you would feel just a tad underdresssed, something like Dockers would be just fine though. Fortes is only a short 2 1/2 block walk from the Hyatt.

Got lucky and booked into the Hyatt downtown for one night May 22nd.

Looking for dinner within walking distance from the Hyatt, looking for reasonable dinner $20-30 PP. Would like either seafood or ambiance or something Vancouver is known for since were only there 1 day.

In regards to seafood, I presume Vancouver is known for Salmon, anything else?

The Keg Caesars is about 3 blocks away from the Hyatt. For seafood in May, both spot prawns and halibut should be in season. They are both fabulous.

Viv

How's Joes for dress or any of the other restaurants? We're going to be out at Capilano and Grouse all day and its debatable at this point if we'll make it back to the hotel before dinner.

Are casual clothes (jeans\tshirt) ok for these places?

Depending on how you're getting to Grouse/Capilano, if you're taking the seabus/bus (which is probably the easiest to/from downtown), there's a couple of good restaurants at Lonsdale Quay (on the north side of Burrard Inlet), which would be a good place to have dinner as well.

The Keg Caesars is about 3 blocks away from the Hyatt. For seafood in May, both spot prawns and halibut should be in season. They are both fabulous.

Viv

Can't wait to get home for the fresh halibut...we bring a bunch down here frozen and I did some just tonight on the barbe but it is just not the same. And those Sunshine Coast spot prawns are to die for,,,the problem is that they are so full of cholesterol they will kill those who are weak of heart...but what a way to go!!!!:D I like them so much I will eat them raw while I am peeling them...they are just like candy.

Can't wait to get home for the fresh halibut...we bring a bunch down here frozen and I did some just tonight on the barbe but it is just not the same. And those Sunshine Coast spot prawns are to die for,,,the problem is that they are so full of cholesterol they will kill those who are weak of heart...but what a way to go!!!!:D I like them so much I will eat them raw while I am peeling them...they are just like candy.

This is totally OT, but had to tell you that I just got back from the doctor and I had my first high cholesterol test result and it was right out of the blue. I decided that it came about because although I fasted the night before as directed, for two days previously I had prawns for dinner!

My nephew is headed out on the prawn boats for a couple of months as soon as he writes his last uni exam. If he does that in May-June and a bit of tuna boat fishing, he can afford to work free at a kids' camp in August and still pay his tuition.

To get back on topic, my husband and I had a wonderful light dinner at Aphrodite at 4th and Dunbar the other day. They are totally organic, with good vegetarian options. For anyone heading out to UBC and the Museum of Anthropology, it might make a good lunch or light casual dinner choice and is right along the bus line. Oh, and they have really good pie.

Viv

That will do it....did you have a Dungeness Crab feed the day before the prawns;)

That prawn season is just to short for we mortals....it seems it is only 4 to 6 weeks for the commercial boats although one of our sons is fishing them recreationally off Comox right now. Hope your nephew does well.

Sounds like I defintly need to find those prawns!!

By May 22nd when you arrive you maybe able to find them....it just depends upon when the Dept of Fisheries and Oceans opens the commerical fishery for Spot Prawns and right now I am not sure that anyone really knows when that will be.

• 1 month later...
By May 22nd when you arrive you maybe able to find them....it just depends upon when the Dept of Fisheries and Oceans opens the commerical fishery for Spot Prawns and right now I am not sure that anyone really knows when that will be.

Wanted to revive this thread as were within a few weeks. Any word on those spot prawns? Also any causal dress place to find them?

I am back in home in Sechelt and the Spot Prawn season is scheduled to open on May 6th but I am seeing some around right now...they may be frozen from last year. As the season should extend about 80 days or so, they shoud be readily available when you arrive....enjoy.:)

Wanted to revive this thread as were within a few weeks. Any word on those spot prawns? Also any causal dress place to find them?

The boats were allowed out today (the 6th) so you should see them in restaurants. Most of the good restaurants will highlight them. Also, don't worry about how you are dressed. Other than the very high end places, clean jeans will suffice in most of Vancouver.

Viv

Archived