beverage policy???

.....why people feel the need to put others down when all they are trying to do is keep kids safe. I guess that i did not make it clear....you can buy water that is for babies that is boiled....excuss me that i am a little worried about my baby!!! My 3 year is perfectly healthy with no issues and i did the same with her while we were away on vacation.

Thank-you everyone for the advice. I am more interested in if i can get the water on or not....

PS my doctor is on my side and thinks you have to go with what ever makes you comfortable!!

I would say yes you can take the water, a lot of people do, at worse, they will take it off you and you will have to buy it, so worth a try. And ignore the others who are intent on telling you how to bring up your child.

I thought MIL was bad.:rolleyes:

You don't have to be rude....i do let me kids be kids i just like the idea of having water that i know is safe...i still boil the water at home...so if i brought my own then i have one less thing to worry about!! Remember when your kids were young?? If you were a good parent then you would have done everything to keep them safe...what ever it may be.

ps i live close to Walkerton Ontario...and many people died because of bad water not too long ago....nothing wrong with be a little too careful!!

Ditto to what Maraprince said.

There are special circumstances to certain things which is why they accommodate people with "special needs". They wouldn't expect a wheelchair-bound person to rent a wheelchair from them for a week...or charge more for someone who is a vegetarian.

Same is true for babies. They are "high-needs" and "special-needs" as well. They need special things just for them and they are human just like others. I would throw a FIT if someone told me I had to buy their water.

I have an 9mos old and we buy him the Nursery Water...that's what I would bring with me, if I were you. And if they said you had to purchase it from them...ask them if they sell Nursery Water (which they don't) and when they say "no"....then tell them you can't buy something they don't sell.

I'm totally sure you will NOT have a problem once you show them the baby. Do not worry. I have actually wheeled a cooler onboard many cruises before filled with whatever and no one even blinked at me.

Well then I hope you don't touch a thing on the ship while you have your child or you will expose them to whatever you just touched. Could be that guy that just went down the stairs holding the rail in front of you just left the toilet and didn't bother to wash after he wiped. Did you touch that rail? Or were they at lunch and using the same common utensils to serve the food you need to use? You don't keep normal kids safe by hiding them from germs. You expose them so their immune system develops.

While you may be able to buy boiled water for babies, it does not mean you have to. I didn't do all that crap you are talking about and my kids grew up to be perfectly healthy adults. Now they boil water to make ramen noodles.

The water on board is produced through reverse osmosis. It does not get much cleaner.

Are we talking bottled water or bottled distilled water? Distilled water is virtuallysterile. (Distilled water has had all chemicals and minerals removed.) I have an 11 month old daughter and in cases where she is going somewhere that is NOT home, I use pre-made formula bottles or distilled water. While a change in water doesn't necessarily have a big affect on an adult's gastrointestinal system, it can have an affect on an infants. (Admittedly, she has a sensitive system.) When my MIL watches my daughter we use it because she is on well water. I think the OP is perfectly reasonable for wanting to use distilled water for making her child's bottles. Our pediatrician recommended it to us when we travel.

Regular Bottled water (i.e. Aquafina) is not sterile water and, in some cases (like the Walmart brand water which was found to contain mixtures of 38 different pollutants, including bacteria, fertilizer, Tylenol and industrial chemicals) it's WAY worse than whatever tap water you could find.

Everyone gets to raise their children their own way. Most of them turn out fine.

THANK-YOU!!!!!

This is my second...i travel 4 to 5 times a year and have always taken my water without any problems...seems to work for me i have a very healthy 3 year old!!!

Sorry we are talking about distilled water and YES my pediatrician also recommended it as infants can tummy issues with a change of something as simple as water.

I wish that i never posted this...thank-you for all the helpful replies...to all you who just want to put others down for trying to do what they think is best. for their own family.....i could have lived without your replies!!!

If you were a good parent then you would have done everything to keep them safe...what ever it may be.

Every parent has the right to be a bit nutty when it comes to the safety of their kids. If they are overcautious, that's probably a good thing overall.

But posters also have a right to point out the actual risks of certain activities. Don't fool yourself. All parents subject their kids to unnecessary risks. That doesn't mean they aren't "good parents." If nothing else, they take their kids in cars. Dangerous places, even with all the car seats and airbags.

So there's nothing wrong with people pointing out that ship water is incredibly safe - probably at least as safe as bottled water - and that you probably don't NEED bottled water. But if using it makes you feel more secure, great for you.

I don't think you need to worry about the water. I think you need to worry about what the baby touches and then putting their hands in their mouth. I couldn't keep my hands out of my mouth when I was a baby, I only know this through pictures. Now I only get caught with my foot in my mouth :D

Through no fault of the OP's, this is probably one of the dumbest threads i have ever read. The question was weather or not they can bring water on the cruise, not if babies need distilled water, or is sterilized whoosits cause MS, lmao. How about everyone tries to stay on topic, i know its a novel concept, but give it a shot, who knows you may like it lol

We have some what of the same problem. What about milk! My grandson drinks milk or water we will bring the water but what about the milk do they have it at meal? Thanks ahead for your help.

Sharonb;)

Yes. There are cartons in the WJ and on my last cruise there were two teen girls at my table and they ordered (free) milk every night for dinner in the MDR.

THANK-YOU!!!!!

This is my second...i travel 4 to 5 times a year and have always taken my water without any problems...seems to work for me i have a very healthy 3 year old!!!

Sorry we are talking about distilled water and YES my pediatrician also recommended it as infants can tummy issues with a change of something as simple as water.

I wish that i never posted this...thank-you for all the helpful replies...to all you who just want to put others down for trying to do what they think is best. for their own family.....i could have lived without your replies!!!

Don't let everybody get you down. You do what you think is best for your child. :smile: If we were cruising with my daughter at this age, we'd be bringing our distilled water too. I hope your family has a wonderful cruise!

If OP is talking about distilled water, she should call RCCL's Special Needs Dept.

Many people that travel with a CPAP machine need distilled water for the machines. Most cruise lines will provide it if the Special Needs Dept. is notified. Most charge for it, but if that is what she needs, that would resolve the problem. If they have it for those that need it with the CPAP machine, OP should be able to get it as well. And it will be one less thing to have to worry about packing.

As a new mom of a 4 month old I think some of you are extremely rude and frankly quite out of line. The OP did not ask for your opinions and honestly I couldnt give a damn what you did with your kids 40 years ago. And here's another newsflash... just because someone asks their pedetrician for advice doesnt mean that it has to be followed to the T. We, as new moms have a mind of our owns and will take all information and formulate our own decisions for our children.

It's SO rude the way some of you are acting.. all because the original OP is defying the "old world" laws of parenthood, and the reality is she just cares about her child and is doing things her way.

FMZ

It's SO rude the way some of you are acting.. all because the original OP is defying the "old world" laws of parenthood, and the reality is she just cares about her child and is doing things her way.

Saying other people thoughts are "old world" is rude too... whatever. An eye for an eye, I guess. The "laws of parenthood" change every year as you will soon find out, I'm sure!

Anyway, OP, I haven't read anyone respond to my earlier point on the Tea Kettles in the room. Does RCI have those? This would solve your problem. I could have sworn I read somewhere that those were available on RCI ships... You could boil your baby's water with that. Just a thought.

-EDIT, I just did a search on CCritic and many people have stated the the Junior suite has an electric tea kettle in the cabin. There is no reason why RCI shouldn't be able to bring you one of those to boil your baby's water. I hope this helps!

Happy Cruising

First off, I don't think taking bottled water on board will be a problem. People smuggle alcohol onto the ships constantly, and if RCCL has a problem with you taking aboard bottled water for your child, I don't think they need your business. The cruise lines have to understand this. I've never cruised with a small child, our daughter was 8 when we first started cruising, which has been many years ago.

To the OP do whatever makes you feel comfortable with. Take the chance and if anyone gives you an issue, try a different cruise line. There are several out there.

And on another note, I think there are more important things to worry about instead of bottled water vs tap, and whats best for formula etc and what minerals and cavities and all this difference of opinion. And not to freak anyone out, I'd be more worried about contracting Noro or something else like staph. My daughter was extremely close to dying from a MRSA (staph infection) a few years back. No one knows how she got it, but it can be on any surface, which means anything YOU touch.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I was trying to be as neutral as possible, but if I did I apologize.

Happy cruising! :):cool:

We stopped at the Target in San Pedro the day before out cruise on Feb. 7 (Mariner). We were traveling (four generations!!) with my 8 month old grand daughter and needed to get supplies (we're from Chicago and didn't want to pay for a suitcase full of baby supplies). We bought and took on board diapers, wipes, bottled nursery water (gallon bottles) and baby food. On board we were surprised to find that our head waiter could order pureed food for the baby for dinner. He (Greg) was fantastic. No problems getting "supplies" on board. We carried them on board.

Okay for everyone who will listen!!! I need to vent!!! GERRRR.... we are getting ready to sail in 5 days and i noticed people talking about bringing wine and stuff on with them....I understand that they don't want the booze coming on the ship....my problem is the bottled water....i am bringing my 7 month old and she requires sterile water for her formula. Never thought to ask because i have brought bottled water on for my oldest daughter when we cruised with her as an infant.

RCI has a no beverage policy and they told me i would have to buy hte water from them....8 bottles will cost me $25 plus 15% tip...i need about 28 to cover us for the cruise...that is over $100. She pays a regular price and does not include her food or drinks....they also offer baby food...40 little jars will cost over $90......am i crazy or is this out of this world crazy?????

Is it just me??

anyone travelled in the last little while that has "smuggled drinks on?"

I haven't read all the posts but we have always just put a luggage tag on a case of water and it has arrived in our cabin with no problem. If for some reason, they confiscate it (cannot imagine that would happen) just explain that the water is for baby formula. No one in their right mind would deny a baby water!

Based on what I have seen and heard it seems like the bigger concern is people replacing water with alcohol. If the bottles are sealed, you should have no trouble. My daughter took water on board when she was recovering from mono. They examined each bottle to make sure they were all sealed but had no trouble with her bringing it on board.

Archived