Oasis may change Eastern itinerary

JCity156

Why not drop Nassau and include Labadee. You would have a full day there instead of a partial day in Nassau. There is not enough time to enjoy the Atlantis Aqua Venture (it takes at least an hour to just do the river ride - The Current once). There is just not enough time in Nassau.

Agreed. This option would get my vote if offered!

I used to work a lot in the Bahamas during the 80's. If memory serves, everything was closed on Sunday. Has this changed? If not, I would think a Sunday in Nassau would be rather dull. :)

No it hasn't changed and I also checked to see if any other ships are in Nassau on Sunday morning and the Carnival Dream would be there every other Sunday. Two ships that carry almost 10,000 guests in the same port at the time with nothing open. Not a good idea.

It is a little sad to hear people say they have been to Nassau many times so they should change it to Sunday when all of the stores are closed .What about the first time cruisers? What about the poor folks who have never been there? I have been there and have had a great time. Stwarts Cove ,Atlantis, Mr Frogs,horse drawn carriage,all great. I would not recommend the straw market (saw large rats running all around ) but I also saw rats at the straw market in St Maarten and I love that port too.

I had no intention of getting off the ship in Nassau, because I've been there several times and because of the time constraints. It would be another day at sea to me, with a massage possibly thrown in. I like the idea of stopping there on Sunday though, especially if it was for a longer period of time.

We were on the Oasis for the Feb 6 cruise. There were four ships in port that day. Things were a bit crowded. This was the first time I have been to Nassau since 1964 and after seeing the deterioration of the place, I vote for dropping Nassau altogether. IMHO, it is no longer a good port. Beside, they do not allow enough time to explore the island (read that as get out of town and to some remote beach) so just drop it. It someone wants to go to Nassau, let them get on the Monarch OTS. I have never been so disappointed in a port on any cruise I have taken. I would rather go to Ensenada than Nassau and I usually don't get off the ship at Ensenada.

I, also, would prefer the Friday to be a sea day. There has to be some other options out there than Nassau.

I had no intention of getting off the ship in Nassau, because I've been there several times and because of the time constraints. It would be another day at sea to me, with a massage possibly thrown in. I like the idea of stopping there on Sunday though, especially if it was for a longer period of time.

I feel the same way. Been there 4 times.

Why not drop Nassau and include Labadee. You would have a full day there instead of a partial day in Nassau. There is not enough time to enjoy the Atlantis Aqua Venture (it takes at least an hour to just do the river ride - The Current once). There is just not enough time in Nassau.

What a great idea. Or Coco Cay, although it may be too small for the amount of passengers.

From AG's blog.

Many of you have commented on the question Craig asked about Oasis’ Nassau call – whether to keep it on Friday as the last call or change it to Sunday as the first call. There are strong opinions on both sides but the majority favor changing to Sunday with appropriate lead time for implementation. We’re still deciding.

For the ones hoping for the change, my bet is that it will change. Then we get to hear about all the ones wanting the change complaining about nothing to do on Sunday morning in Nassau, leaving at one or two in the afternoon and arriving later in St. Thomas. I'm fine with RCI changing the itinerary as long as they let me know before final payment is due.

If the Carnival Dream couldn't dock, i think you're right about Oasis!!
The reason Dream could not dock in San Juan was because of a large art structure on the pier (see pic below). The overhanging lifeboats on Dream were going to hit the art structure and possibly damaged some of them, so the captain abandoned their attempt to dock and left the port. Since then the San Juan Port Authority said they will remove the art structure making it possible for the Dream to dock at that pier, if they haven't already. That doesn't necessarily mean that Oasis can dock there but removal of the art work will allow the Dream to dock there.

solstice2.jpg

Changing it stinks. It would be in Nassau on Sunday morning. What is there to do in Nassau at 7:00 on Sunday morning? Also, it would delay the arrival time in St. Thomas. This was one reason that we chose the western on the Allure over the eastern.

We were there on a Sunday on the Majesty and it seemed no different than any other day to me.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand why have the Nassau stop at all, especially with it only being 5 hours or so. Most cruisers on the Oasis or Allure are past cruisers who have been to nassau on the smaller ships. I would like to skip Nassau, have 2 sea days, St Thomas, St Marteen, 2 sea days. Since many of us are spending a lot of money to be on this ship, more than getting off for shore excursions, I would have preferred maximum sea time.

I already recieved a phone call from my TA telling me the itinerary had been changed for my June 5th sailing. The website shows the change to the itinerary also with the schedule now showing Nassau on Sunday from 7:00-2:00.

Umm, interesting.

After seeing this thread I logged on to RCI.com... we sail Saturday.

They've already changed the itinerary!!

We're now set to stop iin Nassau on Sunday and have two sea days at the end.

Personally, I'm not really thrilled... this cruise has a lot of sea time already and now they're cutting the time in Nassau (not that I'm too upset over that, but I would have liked a little more time on the beach there).

I was kind of looking forward to relaxing my first day on board and getting to know this awesome ship!

We, too, are on Saturday's sailing, and only discovered that the itinerary changed by going to RC's web site...no notification from them. Frankly, I think a change at this late date, with no attempt to communicate the change, is unprofessional.

We are not sailing until may 8th and our itinerary has not (yet) changed.

08-May Fort Lauderdale, Florida 5:00 PM

09-May Cruising Cruising

10-May Cruising Cruising

11-May Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

12-May Philipsburg, St. Maarten 7:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

13-May Cruising Cruising

14-May Nassau, Bahamas 1:00 PM 7:00 PM Docked

15-May Fort Lauderdale, Florida 7:00 AM

My May 22nd itineray also still shows Nassau as the last stop on Friday and 2 sea days at the beginning. Does anyone know what is done about excursions booked through the cruise line if they change the itinerary? Do they just transfer to the new days?

Give it at least a week or two before your cruise when your itinerary will change. I leave in 9 days and it changed today. I'm also not thrilled about this. All shops will be closed on Sunday and it'll be a ghost town. RCL will make more money on excursions. What else will there be to do.

Archived