Minimum age to book a cruise?

cruisinJenF

Quick Question:

My son is proposing to his girlfriend on our Splendor cruise coming up.:D

I believe they will get married this Fall. They will both be 20 still this Fall. They want to cruise for their Honeymoon and I was curious-

Is there a minimum age to book and go on a cruise? I checked the carnival website but had no luck finding that information.

THANKS!

There is a minimum age to book, but they make exceptions for married couples below that limit. Give me a minute and I'll look it up for you.

Here it is: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age_Policy.aspx

21 is the minimum but they could get an exception. They'd just have to bring a copy of their marriage license.

Quick Question:

My son is proposing to his girlfriend on our Splendor cruise coming up.:D

I believe they will get married this Fall. They will both be 20 still this Fall. They want to cruise for their Honeymoon and I was curious-

Is there a minimum age to book and go on a cruise? I checked the carnival website but had no luck finding that information.

THANKS!

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age_Policy.aspx

How old do you have to be to travel alone?

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. The couple must have proof of marriage at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple are legal Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union. The couple must have legal proof of partnership/union at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations.

Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. The couple must have proof of marriage at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund. .

If the couple will cruise right after their vows they wont have proof since the license needs to be sent to be certified (Or whatever it is they do with it).

Now if they wait a few weeks they will have that license to prove they were married. Becareful with this as I would be afraid they would lose their money if they were not able to board.

If the couple will cruise right after their vows they wont have proof since the license needs to be sent to be certified (Or whatever it is they do with it).

Now if they wait a few weeks they will have that license to prove they were married. Becareful with this as I would be afraid they would lose their money if they were not able to board.

My brother and sister in law took a copy of the notarized one they signed that had to be sent off and it was just fine. That was years ago and they left three days after their wedding. They were 18 and 19 at the time.

My cousin and her husband just did the same thing last month and they had no problems at all. They left the very next day after their wedding. They were 20 and 25.

I don't know of anyone that has had to wait weeks before they could go on their honeymoon. OP, call a PVP and ask, but I'm confident you guys can get it worked out.

In Utah you get the license at the courthouse before you are married and they notarize it there so I am sure they wont have any problems since they will have an official paper they can take.

Too bad me going with them on the Honeymoon cruise probably wouldnt be OK with them ;)

My brother and sister in law took a copy of the notarized one they signed that had to be sent off and it was just fine. That was years ago and they left three days after their wedding. They were 18 and 19 at the time.

My cousin and her husband just did the same thing last month and they had no problems at all. They left the very next day after their wedding. They were 20 and 25.

I don't know of anyone that has had to wait weeks before they could go on their honeymoon. OP, call a PVP and ask, but I'm confident you guys can get it worked out.

years ago the rules on cruises were different--today and the last few years-- if someone in the cabin was under 21 someone in the cabin needed to be 25 so your cousin and her husband were ok and didnt really need proof.

calling carnival is a good idea--BUT you can call and ask the same question and get many different replies. Hopefully uou can call and get a knowlegable person.

Like-- will they take a copy of a notrized marriage license? (they dont take copies of birth certificates --thats why I question the copy of a notorized license-- today.

OP- would theyconsider getting married on a cruise--think of the money you would save---

They have changed their rules- you dont have to have someone over 25 in the cabins now. I have all my kids in two cabins on our upcoming cruise so DH and I dont have to do the key swap! It will be nice!

Yes of course before anything was booked I will call- call and call a few more times to be sure everyone I talked to said the same thing.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if they would get married on a cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just cant wait for the official proposal on the ship in March!! I hope I get to see that too but he is leaning towards a private moment. It would be fitting if the proposal and the wedding was on a cruise- it would fit the theme:D

Like-- will they take a copy of a notrized marriage license? (they dont take copies of birth certificates --thats why I question the copy of a notorized license-- today.

The difference between notarized vs non-notarized birth certificates is that they establish identity which is required for government, customs, etc. The copy of the marriage documentation is merely to prove that they fit into Carnival's scheme of rules as they prefer. I actually just called my PVP a little while ago and asked. So...OP no need to call my PVP....this was his answer. ;)

Wow - all the more power to them - the guy I absolutely loved when I was 20 was toast by the time we were 22 (on both parts). We do marriage prep at our church and the average age is 30 and 28 - to know at 20 that it is life long is truly wonderful. Tell them to give it two or three years - no rush if they love each other and it will be as wonderful then as it is now. If they want to do it right away - good luck and have a blast - no better place than a ship.

People...........not looking for a debate on if he is "old enough" to get married.

He has been with her for over two years and if she is the one then and I am happy for him and will wish him the best. Just because someone is young when they are married doesnt mean their life if over or their marriage is doomed. My husband and I have been happily married for 20 years and we were MUCH younger.

People...........not looking for a debate on if he is "old enough" to get married.

He has been with her for over two years and if she is the one then and I am happy for him and will wish him the best. Just because someone is young when they are married doesnt mean their life if over or their marriage is doomed. My husband and I have been happily married for 20 years and we were MUCH younger.

I am sorry if you took my post in a way I did not intend. A lot of young people marry and it lasts forever like yourself, I have friends who married very young and are still very happy. All I am saying is to give it time after the engagement to actually get married. Don't get caught up in the moment and let the wonderful feeling of uphoria take over for a while and enjoy the feelings.

They have changed their rules- you dont have to have someone over 25 in the cabins now. I have all my kids in two cabins on our upcoming cruise so DH and I dont have to do the key swap! It will be nice!

Yes of course before anything was booked I will call- call and call a few more times to be sure everyone I talked to said the same thing.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if they would get married on a cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just cant wait for the official proposal on the ship in March!! I hope I get to see that too but he is leaning towards a private moment. It would be fitting if the proposal and the wedding was on a cruise- it would fit the theme:D

I think you may be wrong here, as you're talking about a family cruise with two over 25 adults. If anyone under 21 books, they still need one person in the cabin who is 25 or older....unless they're a married couple. Make sure Carnival will accept a notarized marriage certificate.

I am sorry if you took my post in a way I did not intend. A lot of young people marry and it lasts forever like yourself, I have friends who married very young and are still very happy. All I am saying is to give it time after the engagement to actually get married. Don't get caught up in the moment and let the wonderful feeling of uphoria take over for a while and enjoy the feelings.

I'm with you.

Carnival changed the rules about parents being in the cabin with under aged children. The cabins still have to be near each other. The other rules that were quoted above are still enforced by for passengers under aged traveling alone.

I think that sounds so romantic! I know he is excited! We are going on a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary in August. I got married when I was 20 and I am so excited to celebrate 25 years together on a cruise:)

Congrats on the 25th! Me too... got married at age 20, had a fake ID on the honeymoon even, and still happily married 28 years later. Also celebrated the 25th with a surprise cruise for hubby... which really started this addition.

And congrats cruisinJen, to you and the kids! May they live happily ever after. :)

My DW and I were married when she was twenty, we still joke that she wasn't even legal to have a drink at her own wedding (I was twenty one). This year we are celebrating thirty years of marriage and considering we met before she was sixteen we have been together for a while. We have raised two wonderful, successful children and we are still going strong.

She has always wanted to see the Panama Canal so to celebrate our thirty years together that's exactly what she is going to do.

Hears to your sons marriage may it be long and happy!!!

Thank you all very much for the kind comments!!! :D

My DH and I always laugh that "technically" for the first 7 months of our marriage he was my legal guardian since I was only 17 when we married. I am glad he used that authority wisely :) We do laugh about it now. The Splendor cruise we are going on with the family is our 20th anniversary- the one my son is going to propose on.

Carnival has nothing to do with birth certificates, those are laws that CBP enforces.

The rules for traveling ages are Carnival rules and Carnival can do whatever they want with them, including taking any documentation that they want.

OP you should have them use a TA to make sure that everything is smooth in this situation.

HOW EXCITING!!!! My DH and I got engaged on our first cruise in Nov of 06 (I was 19) and we got married in May of 08 on our second cruise before we left Miami, then out to sea for our honeymoon!! LOVE LOVE LOVED it (and I was still 20 at that point) My DH is 7 years older than me, so the booking was never an issue, but I figured I'd comment that the theme of getting engaged and then married on a cruise is a GREAT idea. We'd be going in May for our two year ann. But I'll be "too" pregnant to cruise, so we're going in April instead as a "babymoon."

Also, It MAY not be an issue for them to book if they decide to have a long engagement for whatever reason. We only had a long engagement because we got engaged in the fall and wanted to get married in the spring and didn't want to jump into it THAT quickly, so we waited the extra year. It was nice, but we'd lived together for over a year before we got engaged and bought our house about a year before we got married.

When they make the announcement to everyone make sure to not blow it that you knew the secret!!! It really ruins the moment for the bride to be when everyone says, "YEAH, we knew" Even if they're excited when they say it. My dad told everyone in the family that DH was going to propose before we left to drive down (the test of our relationship before he would actually ask me!!LOL) so the family we visited already knew it was going to happen before it happened, and when I called to tell my sister, she was happy for me, but not surprised in the least. It was KIND of a bummer. My dad does that with all the big announcements. He did it too when he guessed I was pregnant and I swore him to secrecy until christmas and he STILL told my grandma early. he gets WAY too excited to keep it all in. Kinda cute and kinda annoying

Archived