How much"jacket" do I need in July?

utseabee

Since you are doing so many outside excursions the perfect jacket would be a breathable windproof and rain proof jacket. You can also buy the same in pants. If you feel this is what you need I would watch for sales on the internet.

If you feel the cost is too much I would remember that layering is a big key in Alaska. Long underwear, t-shirt and hoodie can go along way to keeping warm.

Alaska can be a very wet place but it is the luck of the draw. It is on a week by week basis. The main thing is to be prepared.:)

well said. x2

Thanks for all the above. I recognise North Face as a brand we get over here. Will take a wander around our local outdoor equipment store this weekend and see if they have a sale on. We'll be a couple of days in Seattle pre land tour and will need a whole range of clothing. We have extremely thick jackets which we bought for a visit we made to Iceland last winter but they will be too bulky.

There is an REI store near downtown Seattle, anything you need in the way of gear is available there..also check online for their sales..

I have relatives that were born and raised in Alaska, they say layer, waterproof and windproof lightwweight outer (WITH HOOD A MUST) with fleece under. A good waterproof 3 in 1 jacket does all three.

I have several pairs of zip off pants (bought them all from REI) and have used them for many trips where Im leaving in colder weather ( in NORCAL that never gets under 45 F) and landing in warm weather. They are North Face and lightweight fabric and unless you wear something thermal under them will not provide much warmth IMHO.

Archived