How much"jacket" do I need in July?

utseabee

Let me start by saying I live in Southern California, and I don't even own a proper jacket...the closest I have is a really thick hoodie.

All the research I have done says the weather is usually 60-90 degrees. But all the packing lists recommend jackets and sweaters.

We are planning more active excursions (rock climbing, zipline, horseback riding, one fishing excursion) and not any sightseeing.

Will I need to buy an actual jacket for the cruise and cruisetour, or will my hoodies be enough?

Let me start by saying I live in Southern California, and I don't even own a proper jacket...the closest I have is a really thick hoodie.

All the research I have done says the weather is usually 60-90 degrees. But all the packing lists recommend jackets and sweaters.

We are planning more active excursions (rock climbing, zipline, horseback riding, one fishing excursion) and not any sightseeing.

Will I need to buy an actual jacket for the cruise and cruisetour, or will my hoodies be enough?

Since you are doing so many outside excursions the perfect jacket would be a breathable windproof and rain proof jacket. You can also buy the same in pants. If you feel this is what you need I would watch for sales on the internet.

If you feel the cost is too much I would remember that layering is a big key in Alaska. Long underwear, t-shirt and hoodie can go along way to keeping warm.

Alaska can be a very wet place but it is the luck of the draw. It is on a week by week basis. The main thing is to be prepared.:)

You really do need a top layer that is hooded and rainproof. You may not need to use it, but if you don't have it and need it, you'll reget its absence. And IMHO (even tho you didn't ask) a pair of convertible pants.

What are convertible oants? Brit here.... I know what pants are....just the convertible bit....

What are convertible oants? Brit here.... I know what pants are....just the convertible bit....

The lower part has a zipper that converts the long legs to shorts. Hope I used the right words. I know we Americans and you Brits use different words for the same thing. Hope this helps. You can get them in sports stores that carry hiking clothes.

Are Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier on your itinerary?

My understanding is that you'll need a really warm jacket to be outside on the ship for those. We're doing both but I'm not taking a heavy jacket, just planning on doing lots of layering with waterproof on top.

What nimrod1940 said :)

I take mine anywhere I travel. When the weather can vary significantly each day you don't have to worry about being overdressed or underdressed. I've worn out my favorite pair, and now have only barely-acceptable substitutes. :(

They are available in hi-tech quick-drying fabric, so if they get wet they dry quickly. The North Face, Helly Hansen, Columbia are all brands to "Google" or "ebay".

edited to add: This link shows a pair, with the "zip off" part clearly visible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-North-Face-Meridian-Womens-Convertible-Pants-L_W0QQitemZ390150484247QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Women_s_Athletic_Apparel?hash=item5ad6c7f117

I am also going in July. Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, and glacier excursion are all on my list. At the advice from a previous thread on this board, I bought a Columbia 3-in-1 jacket. It has an outershell that is breathable, windproof, and waterproof. The inner lining can be unzipped or attached to make the jacket less or more heavy. It can also be worn by itself. I thought this was a good option since it's basically like have 3 jackets in one, depending on how cold it is. My jacket was on clearence at Dick's Sporting Goods for $100, including tax. I got my husband's online for $120 shipped. Regular price is $300+. A lot of places are clearing them out because ski season is ending.

I am taking a raincaot with hood- warmer than my old one. plus a sweatshirt and a light weight fleese.

i never wore my silk underwear last time . i might talke the bottoms for jeans but that is it.

i never saw above 70 except Vancouver.. wore shorts there.

wind block, wind block, wind block

the wind will suck your heat away. the lovely ms b-d even knits a windblock into my caps.

pants w/ zip off legs (snicker, snicker, snicker). buy them only if you have expectations of wearing them in climes other than southeast.

have you noticed all of the comments on staying warm and dry? the need for shorts never seems to make it on the list.

Thanks for all the above. I recognise North Face as a brand we get over here. Will take a wander around our local outdoor equipment store this weekend and see if they have a sale on. We'll be a couple of days in Seattle pre land tour and will need a whole range of clothing. We have extremely thick jackets which we bought for a visit we made to Iceland last winter but they will be too bulky.

If you are going to be anywhere near a glacier, you need the warmest layers you can find and a rainproof windproof shell for the outer one. You also need your most comfortable warm weather clothes (last July in Skagway it was >90F and the natives were melting). If it is > 50F and you are wearing your hoodie, you will stand out as a foreigner, but you may not be alone ;-)

Thanks for all the above. I recognise North Face as a brand we get over here. Will take a wander around our local outdoor equipment store this weekend and see if they have a sale on. We'll be a couple of days in Seattle pre land tour and will need a whole range of clothing. We have extremely thick jackets which we bought for a visit we made to Iceland last winter but they will be too bulky.

Well since you're going to be in Seattle and it's the headquarters of REI - www.rei.com Here's the address for the one in Seattle plus they have others since I'm not sure where you're staying.

Seattle Flagship REI Store

222 Yale Ave N

Seattle, WA 98109

(206) 223-1944

I've been in the Flagship store and could spend hours there. We have one here in Anchorage and I love because I can ship the stuff to the store and if it doesn't work, return it there. This is where I buy my convertible pants. I have 4 pairs, the first 2 bought to go to Africa in 1999, and I find that I wear them all over the World.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thank you sooooo much AkSusan. That store looks amazing. Love the website. Fingers crossed come the end of July there'll still be some bargains to be had.... my guess is that the prices will be very competitive with those over here.... awesome. Now where's that map of Seattle? ;)

i have been in REI in NC.. I did not mention it as thsi lady lives in the UK/

Meanwhile LL bean is another great place to look.. not sure if they ship to the UK.

She had said she was going to be in Seattle, that's why I told her about REI.

Another So Cal family here! We are also going in July and have a similar plan for excursions. For bottoms/pants a few folks posted windproof or water resistant pants. I am finding what I call track or running pants in the stores. They are a nylon or microfiber pant with a mesh lining. Is this OK? I can't find anything lined in stores here. Now I did find some super inexpensive snow pants on clearance at Target for around $10 each. Not sure if that is OK...they seem really puffy and I don't imagine people wear these...do they? They would certainly seem to block the chill...but they look like marshmallow legs. Track pants or snow pants???

When I look at ebay for "running pants", I see all kinds of shapes, styles, fabrics, so really can't comment on how appropriate they'd be. (Around here, everyone wears some sort of spandex skin-hugging legging-things for running.) I think the "marshmallow leg" ones would be too warm -- I think there's insulation that makes them "puffy". I'd avoid them, for sure :)

Another So Cal family here! We are also going in July and have a similar plan for excursions. For bottoms/pants a few folks posted windproof or water resistant pants. I am finding what I call track or running pants in the stores. They are a nylon or microfiber pant with a mesh lining. Is this OK? I can't find anything lined in stores here. Now I did find some super inexpensive snow pants on clearance at Target for around $10 each. Not sure if that is OK...they seem really puffy and I don't imagine people wear these...do they? They would certainly seem to block the chill...but they look like marshmallow legs. Track pants or snow pants???

You do not need snow pants.

What I use living up here and we're out and about are nylon convertible pants. They dry quickly if you get wet. Actually my Mom and I've done an Alaskan cruise the last two years and she just wears jeans during the day, while I have my convertibles or my fleece. I have a rainproof set and I've never taken the rain pants with me.

I'd say as long as you've got a good rainproof jacket with a hood and bring an umbrella that for the average cruise day you'll be fine.

By the way, just to follow up on the info regarding REI you can actually order about 2 weeks (maybe even a bit earlier) from their website and have it sent to the store so you won't be limited by the store inventory. The shipping is free and you can try on at the store and just return whatever doesn't work on the spot (you have to prepay online). It works out very well and the REI Outlet will have a fabulous selection.

Happy travels.

By the way, just to follow up on the info regarding REI you can actually order about 2 weeks (maybe even a bit earlier) from their website and have it sent to the store so you won't be limited by the store inventory. The shipping is free and you can try on at the store and just return whatever doesn't work on the spot (you have to prepay online). It works out very well and the REI Outlet will have a fabulous selection.

Happy travels.

Hi. Thank you so much! I love the Rei website. What a good idea to pre order. I've made note in my diary a month before our date of arrival to check prices etc. Currently trying to find out if we call the items by the same name here.... eg is a North Face item called the same thing here as over where you are....

What I use living up here and we're out and about are nylon convertible pants. They dry quickly if you get wet.

That's great advice, Susan. We love the convertible pants for our travel to the Caribbean climates as well because we can leave snowy New Hampshire wearing pants and arrive at the islands wearing shorts. Plus they dry very quickly, either after a rainstorm or after needing a quick wash in the stateroom.

We just bought some new ones for the family from Campmor (Click here to shop) and my teenage sons wore them to school this week - 40 degrees out and they were plenty warm. They keep the wind blocked, which is very nice.

It was also nice that Campmor offered a selection of inseam sizes since we come in a variety of shapes!

Archived