Where would you go?

Rockportgirl

If you were to move somewhere you’ve cruised before to start a small tourist-based business, where would you go? And why?

Consider cost of living, property value, crime, taxes, etc.

My husband was looking at a job in the Caymans doing Emergency Management (has same job here In Ontario) - even arranged to talk to them when we were on a cruise. Everyone asked what I would do - without hesitation I said "I would open a cabana on the beach, name it The Canadian Way EH and sell Labatts Blue. It is still my dream.

I am moving to Merida in a couple of years. Not planning on starting a business of anykind. I have already got my bar stool picked out.hammertime.gif

My hubby wants to buy property somewhere in the Yucatan area, he has been looking.....got some great places/prices....beachfront too.....guess I better learn to speaky the language.:eek::rolleyes:

My hubby wants to buy property somewhere in the Yucatan area, he has been looking.....got some great places/prices....beachfront too.....guess I better learn to speaky the language.:eek::rolleyes:

The cost of property in that area is AMAZING. I saw a NICE 2 bedroom beachfront home for $68k. I didn't know that existed.

We've been looking at Belize, as well. English speaking, almost no taxes and practically zero crime. Ah, well. It's good to have dreams... :rolleyes:

Roatan, hands-down.

Beautiful island, friendly people, awesome water and great climate.

If I ever win the big lottery prize (unlikely since I never buy a ticket) my forwarding address will probably be on Roatan.

I've never been there and have no idea... is it safe?

Im thinking Mexico too..

Playa Del Carmen maybe, more likely Meridia or Costa Maya!!!

Restaurant and Bar on the Beach...

then do like Kenny Chesney...... "Sit right here and have another beer in Mexico..... Do my best.. To waste another day"

A guy can dream cant he!

Roatan. It is so beautiful, the people friendly. It was my favorite port that we went to and cannot wait to go back.

I recently saw some people moving there on House Hunter International and it was awesome. I was jealous. :)

The cost of property in that area is AMAZING. I saw a NICE 2 bedroom beachfront home for $68k. I didn't know that existed.

We've been looking at Belize, as well. English speaking, almost no taxes and practically zero crime. Ah, well. It's good to have dreams... :rolleyes:

I have been looking at houses. The prices run the spread of from 20K to well over several Million. 50K to 75K is a good market in the area. It just depends on how you wish to live. Seriously I have it narrowed down to a couple of houses in Merida. One is just off the main square and the other is more on the edge of town. I really like the house closer to the square. Great area, quite a few gringos live in the same area. It certainly helps that I speak fairely good Spanish. I have seen a wide varience in prices when I started out speaking Spanish over English. I may just end up renting for a while just to make sure that it is truly my Paradise.

We would move to Aruba and open a Snow Blower repair store.

Now that sounds like a dream job.:D

We once thought about Costa Rica, but decided against it.

We emigrated and started a business in another country. We did speak German though, had enough experience in our line of work, we had a solid business plan and were realistic.

You should never pick a spot when on holiday, since you are in a different mind set than you would be if you just would look at it from a business point of view. You see everything rosy, and don't realise the downsides. Remember: you don't have the time or the energy to enjoy the beaches or the sunshine. We are in a ski area and DH only went skiing 4 times in 4 years for half a day, and only because we had friends visiting who wanted him to come along. The whole summer we do not sit outside or go for walks in the woods because we are so busy. The only time we can go on holiday is in November when the weather here is awful (we go cruising!)

If you don't speak the lingo, forget about it. If you like to be ripped off, only cater to foreigners and not integrate in the local community that's the way to go. Remember when the cruise ship leaves, you have to be able to make a living out of the locals. Other countries, other laws, other customs, even in neighbouring countries where you think they will speak English. Dreaming about this topic is very nice, but actually going through with it is something different entirely.

This may sound dumb, but what do they speak in Roatan?

Everyone we ran into spoke English. West End and the beaches are gorgeous, and some of the best diving in the world is near there. The water is crystal clear.

They did have some trouble with marching around over electric rates, so its not always considered that safe.

the protests were violent enough that ships didnt dock there during them.

Progreso with out a doubt! I loved it there. I am not sure what type of business I would have...probably real estate of some sort. I am not the out doorsy type.

I love Progreso, too. It's amazing the different reactions it gets... people either love it or hate it. Although we haven't been to a LOT of different places, it was one of the funnest ports we've been to so far. :)

Roatan. It is so beautiful, the people friendly. It was my favorite port that we went to and cannot wait to go back.

I recently saw some people moving there on House Hunter International and it was awesome. I was jealous. :)

I love that show !!

I watched an episode where a couple bought the resort Bananarama ... It was pretty awesome, and it is my goal to visit this island and resort !

I'd pick Culebra. It's the island just west of St. Thomas. It is part of Puerto Rico, has near zero property tax and development is restricted keeping the island population low and comfortable. Culebra has a large bay and excellent harbor. It is an ideal place for a bed and breakfast and/or sailboat charter business as well as fishing. It's just a beautiful place. :)

Archived