Comment Cards - What was your mark?

bamaphotopro

Last week on the Freedom, Felipe Couto (the CD) instructed us concerning our comment cards. We were told that <ahem> 'the proper response' to all questions was 'Exceeded My Expectations' (unless, of course, the question was 'NA').

To be honest, I felt quite put off by this! I was left wondering why any company, even a small photo studio like mine, would want anything other than honest, forthright feedback from their clientele so that they could target any areas that could be interpreted as needing improvement?

Being the maverick spirit that I am, I filled out the card honestly and dropped it in the box. I even communicated my feelings about Felipe's request on the back of my card.

So, the question to you is ... is this the standard Carnival request on all ships, or was this unique to Felipe? Am I making much ado about nothing, or do you agree that an fair and honest answer is the only 'proper response'?

Thanks!

Last week on the Freedom, Felipe Couto (the CD) instructed us concerning our comment cards. We were told that <ahem> 'the proper response' to all questions was 'Exceeded My Expectations' (unless, of course, the question was 'NA').

To be honest, I felt quite put off by this! I was left wondering why any company, even a small photo studio like mine, would want anything other than honest, forthright feedback from their clientele so that they could target any areas that could be interpreted as needing improvement?

Being the maverick spirit that I am, I filled out the card honestly and dropped it in the box. I even communicated my feelings about Felipe's request on the back of my card.

So, the question to you is ... is this the standard Carnival request on all ships, or was this unique to Felipe? Am I making much ado about nothing, or do you agree that an fair and honest answer is the only 'proper response'?

Thanks!

Its been said by every CD for the past several years. Like most of what they say..I dont pay much attention to it.

Maybe it's becasue they strive to provide service that they hope makes you happily mark that exceeded expectations box. But of course... we should all be honest and forth-right so that any problems are addressed. I don't go to those speeches or shows or maybe I have always ignored them if they've ever said it.

I've heard this over & over in the service industry though... "if you cannot mark that OUTSTANDING box, then please let us know what we can do so that you do." Blah, blah, blah.

I've heard it on every cruise. I'm not sure why the corporate office lets them do that because it would seem to inhibit honest feedback. I do understand the spiel they give about not letting one incident define your cruise.

A problem I have with the comment card is that it is really geared towards the first time cruiser. I now usually mark "Met My Expectations" - that is not a negative to me, but a positive. It is hard to mark "Exceeded" after 5 Carnival cruises. It takes something really special to exceed them now.

Thanks!

The same request was made from the CD on the Conquest back in November. Yes fair and honest are the proper answers however the parties they throw for the winning ships are a real plus for all the hard work the staff does. If we've had a wonderful time and the crew went above an beyond (which most CCL cruises we've been on do) we check 'exceeded our expectations' in hopes the crew we left behind has something to look forward to should they win. Spread the love....

I always take the spiels about marking the best answer as a jokingly hopeful "suggestion" on their part. But they get my honest thoughts about what I experienced - good and, if there were any, the not so good.

While I only hear the spiel from the cabin tv, its not a joke. Some go into great detail about how "met my expectation" is a failing grade and you are encouraged to put down "Exceeded expectation"

It is funny how they will crack jokes about almost ever aspect of debarkation, yet get such a serious tone when it comes to comment cards.

Your cruise director is not the only one that do this. In fact, I've heard the same speech on other cruiselines.

While I do mark "exceeds my expectation" on some things (mainly my cabin steward!!), on others it just depends on the service that I received in that area.

Last year on the Fantasy, the drink servers in one certain area were really below par. I did comment that while the drink servers in other areas were outstanding, one area wasn't. Why lie?

Overall, my cruises are excellent because of the wonderful staff on board. When someone goes beyond, I make sure to write their name to get the point across.

Place what is right for you on the comment cards!!

I personally think it is in very bad taste to tell someone how to fill out a comment card - similar to someone telling you how much to tip them? The reason the cards exist is for the client to provide their feedback not to enter what the CD or anyone else tells them to - if that is the case what is the point of comment cards?

I have always answered honestly and that means I did not indicate 'exceeded expectations' if I did not feel that was the case. I also add 'wrriten' comments where indicated naming individuals who I thought did good or poor jobs..... I am hoping people are taking what the CDs say with a grain of salt when it comes to providing feedback on their cruises.....

"exceeded my expectations" is not a practical answer. I believe we all go on with expectations and it's impossible for every area to exceed your expectations, especially if you are a frequent cruiser. This may be ok for a new cruiser but certainly not for an experienced one. Although I usually enjoy all my food choices, they do not exceed my expectations as I do expect the food to be good. Maybe one or two two items but certainly not all. The only area that sometimes exceeds my expectations is if there is a particular show ( like Dancin' in the Streets on the Dream ) that was outstanding but again not all. Service etc. I expect to be be good and if you go on a few cruises, it is not practical, that each time is better than the last time.

I think that Carnival is aware of this and John Heald has said on his blog that they are working to change the wording.

Maybe a scale of excellent to poor or a 1 to 10 is a better way to judge your cruise, IMHO.

Anyone who has bought a car has likely has heard the same spiel. "I don't want you to leave this showroom until you are able to check all the boxes as exceeded. Well guess what? Once I sign the paperwork, I'm driving out of here. :)

I have also heard on every cruise I have been on. And I ignore it all the same. I am honest with what was good and bad. Sometimes followup with a letter depending on the issue.

I remember Todd Wittmer the CD on Freedom (at the time) said that they were going to be issuing new comment cards that better explained the "exceeded" situation. Who knows?

Because of this I feel the only useful area of the comment card is where you can actually write something yourself.

I agree that after many cruises passengers know what to expect so in order to exceed my expectations something extraordinary would have to happen.

I heard the same speech on the Imagination in mid January, actually it was more than just a speech. It ran on the looped debarkation video during the entire last day!

It immediately made me think back to when I bought my car and the guy told me "I don't get paid my comission unless I get a perfect score."

I really don't think they should be able to say these things. As another poster said it actually leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I am much more critical on the evaluation.

We are completely honest filling out the card. We have scored from one end of the scale to the other.

It makes no sense to do anything else. The constant prodding, is in our opinion, for the sake of that specific ship as to how it ranks at Corp. HQ in Miami. We have received a couple of letters from Carnival in reference to our comments/scoring on the form.

Just wonder if others have receied a call or letter like the ones we received?

We've heard this on both of our cruises. It's not a unique system to the cruising industry. My DH works for a retail chain that has thousands of stores across North America. Like Carnival, if you fill out their store survey and it's anything less than "exceeds expectations" - the staff gets a failing grade. It's not fair, but it is the reality. I can sympathize with the Carnival CDs trying to get the pax to understand this. I can also see why all of you don't believe them. It's not a good system at all.

We've heard this on both of our cruises. It's not a unique system to the cruising industry. My DH works for a retail chain that has thousands of stores across North America. Like Carnival, if you fill out their store survey and it's anything less than "exceeds expectations" - the staff gets a failing grade. It's not fair, but it is the reality. I can sympathize with the Carnival CDs trying to get the pax to understand this. I can also see why all of you don't believe them. It's not a good system at all.

It's a terrible system, regardless. I wouldn't hear of it in my business. I am old school and subscribe to the old axiom:

"If you liked your experience, tell your friends. If you didn't like your experience, tell us."

That's the way I run my business.

I suggested writing off my S & S account would exceed my expectations.

Since that did not happen I filled it out honestly and as others have said, made notes where appropriate singling out those who did provide us with exceptional service.

Thanks!

Standard comment by Carnival and every other mass market line that I have been on. They really don't want honesty, they just want exceeds expectation.

I am like you I put the truth, and it is very rare that anything exceeds my expectation. It is also true that only rarely is anything less than my expectation. If they do what they are supposed to do they meet the expectation level, and only on rare occasions have I ever seen them do anything more than that.

Archived