what is the one thing that you will NEVER forget about GC ?

phyzz

Discovering the music of the Barefoot Band; we now have lots of their CDs and the music immediately puts us back in the Caribbean.

Kathy:)

Kathy, our tour driver played a CD of music, which had a very funny song that my DH has been "quoting" ever since. The chorus had something to do with calling out bust sizes (double D, Double E, etc.) with the response "bigger!" - is this from the Barefoot Band? sorry, I know this is a really obscure question, but the CD was very funny, and we should have picked it up while there. (I guess this could be our excuse to return!) :D

Thanks!

Kathy, our tour driver played a CD of music, which had a very funny song that my DH has been "quoting" ever since. The chorus had something to do with calling out bust sizes (double D, Double E, etc.) with the response "bigger!" - is this from the Barefoot Band? sorry, I know this is a really obscure question, but the CD was very funny, and we should have picked it up while there. (I guess this could be our excuse to return!) :D

Thanks!

Sounds like "Big Panty Woman" by Barefoot Man. His music can get crazy but is a lot of fun!

My first and only experience was perfect. It was my first cruise and our second port. We did a stingray and snorkeling excursion (I can't remember who it was with, it was not through the ship . I found them through this board, though.) They took us on a sailboat to the sandbar to see the stingrays. Being on that boat and looking into the clear waters, with the caribbean music playing and the warm sun shining, was just an experience I will never forget. I have been on a few cruises, now, and I have never experienced anything like that since. We are stopping in Grand Cayman, in September, and I want my husband and son to experience this - but I'm kind of afraid that it was something that can never be repeated. I had done that cruise with my Mom and, unfortunately, she didn't have the same great experience that I had eventhough we did it together. She got seasick on the sailboat (she is not prone to seasickness - she has been on many cruise and her and my Dad owned a boat when I was growing up and we were on it every weekend) - then when she was climbing down the ladder, of the boat, at stingray city, a large wave came and knocked her off and smacked her into the side of the boat. She then panicked and got stuck behind the ladder. She hated that excursion and said she'd never do it again.

From my perspective as a long time resident of Grand Cayman, the most notable experience is to be had underwater.

The first time I topped the lip of the underwater wall during a scuba dive and found myself staring down into a mile of nothingness is a moment I will never forget. The drop is every bit as dramatic as if you could step off the rim of the Grand Canyon and just hover there.

It is a totally new perspective which takes a moment for your mind to adjust to. It is a feeling of flying - of leaving the connection we all have to the firm earth beneath us.

For that reason, if no other, I will forever know that Cayman is truly a unique place.

• 3 weeks later...
We LOVE Grand Cayman, beautiful, clean, safe.... but best memory is 1/8/09 on the Conquest... Jimmy Buffett making surprise visit to Margaritaville, FREE concert. That was the highlight of our cruise.

Daughter still thinks it may happen again, told her that was a once in a lifetime event.

Holy crap!! Jimmy Buffett at Margaritaville..that is freakin awesome!!

Besides all the prices being outrageous for just about everything, it's the fact that the island itself doesn't thrill me...Georgetown residential looks like the houses on the sides of the freeway in Miami. The water is gorgeous, but the island itself isn't anything out of the ordinary for me.

Nobody remembers Big Black Dick? Now that was funny, I have picutres of the staue and all.

Worst experience was bad weather closed everything and ship had to anchor 45 min bus ride from downtown

Best was scuba diving with Ambassador Divers, great crew. But better fish in Tobago and Coz.

Worst experience was bad weather closed everything and ship had to anchor 45 min bus ride from downtown

Wow! Where the heck did they anchor you? The normal backup location is Spotts, which is only about 10-15 minutes from downtown, even by bus. A 45 minute drive would take you all the way out to the far east end of the island...that's totally unreasonable for them to stick you way out there... :eek: I can see why you'd be upset...

We are thinking of doing a week long condo trip to Grand Caymen next summer ...

we have only been there on a cruise stop.

what do you guys think?

enough to do for a week?

too expensive?

we'd be staying at the end end, morritts.

thanks!

It is so weird for me to read negative posts about GC. If you can appreciate the culture, the island itself is gorgeous. Not to mention, the sites below the surface are absolutely unmatched! It should also be mentioned the GC can't be blamed for the "outrageous prices." Their currency is worth more than the American dollar hence we pay more. :)

Holy crap!! Jimmy Buffett at Margaritaville..that is freakin awesome!!

It was awesome!!! As soon as we got off the tender the guy on stilts handing out Margaritaville coupons was telling everyone "Jimmy's in the house today" We thought yeah right... all we had booked was a 1 hour tour early so after that we headed for Margaritaville, asked & sure enough he was going to be there at noon. We found a table & planted outselves. Had a food & bar bill of around $120 US dollars but that was for 3 of us & we were there about 4 hours, gave our server a nice tip since we were there so long. It truely was a once in a lifetime!

Rocketgirl, we are neighbors, we live in Fredericksburg.

This photo was taken at Rum Point which is near stingray city. I love the beach there, its so quiet and beautiful!

Is it hard to get to Rum Point without doing an excursion - how far from the pier? We were hoping to do "our own thing" in Grand Cayman as we are a large group and have booked excursions in the other 3 ports. It just looks too beautiful to miss.

Thanks!

Everything. We just returned from two weeks there and couldn't get enough of the diving, snorkeling, seafood. I returned home with some absolutely beautiful conch shells that we found on our beach. Even if you aren't a diver, just about anyone can snorkel. If you don't at least snorkel in Grand Cayman you are totally missing what is best about the island....what is under the sea.

We are thinking of doing a week long condo trip to Grand Caymen next summer ...

we have only been there on a cruise stop.

what do you guys think?

enough to do for a week?

too expensive?

we'd be staying at the end end, morritts.

thanks!

We just returned from two weeks at Morritts. Morritts is on the East End, which is the quieter end of the island. That works just fine for us. There is great diving, snorkeling, relaxing there. They have three pools on the property, lovely beach, a tiki bar over the water.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want a wild night life, you probably won't be happy at Morritts. But we prefer the quiet. Morritts is right next door to the Reef Resort and both have entertainment on various nights.

Is it hard to get to Rum Point without doing an excursion - how far from the pier? We were hoping to do "our own thing" in Grand Cayman as we are a large group and have booked excursions in the other 3 ports. It just looks too beautiful to miss.

Thanks!

The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point are either with an excursion that stops there or by rental car. It's a 45 minute drive from the port area.

Wow! That's a gorgeous pix!!! Now I really, really can't wait to get back to GC!

By the way, my most memorable moment was meeting Guy Harvey! Cool! Of course, eating at the market, snorkeling off of Eden Rock (loved it!!!), and cutting the huge tender line because we had bought cigars and needed to go through customs :D were pretty memorable also.

Archived