Avalon Romantic Rhine - Zurich to Amsterdam

happycruizer

Getting ready to book upcoming hotel for our Aug. cruise. This itinerery states "Zurich to Amsterdam" but the cruise actually begins in Basel, thus I am confused as to which place to book the hotel....Zurich or Basel. Do we get ourselves from Zurich to Basel or does Avalon have a meeting place in Zurich?:confused:

Getting ready to book upcoming hotel for our Aug. cruise. This itinerery states "Zurich to Amsterdam" but the cruise actually begins in Basel, thus I am confused as to which place to book the hotel....Zurich or Basel. Do we get ourselves from Zurich to Basel or does Avalon have a meeting place in Zurich?:confused:

If you are going a day or several days early book a hotel in Zurich. Avalon will provide transfer to Basel.

Thanks letsgo39. We will be arriving 2 days early. Will we have enough time to "see" Basel when Avalon picks us up?

It did not look like you will have any time in Basel when I checked the itinerary.They say flights must arrive before 3 PM in Zurich and than you go directly to Basel,board the boat and sail away probably about dinner time.What you could do is stay in Zurich for 1 night,train to Basel and stay the next night in Basel and make your way to the boat on your own. I have not been to either Zurich or Basel so I don't know how much there is to see in Basel. I love Lucerne though,really beautiful.

There is so much to see in both Zurich and Basel that I would recommend do one or the other and hope you can return. If you are interested in art both cities have wonderful museums. Both are very walkable and beautiful, In addition Zurich has a beautiful lake to view and take a boat trip on and great shops to admire and a first class opera. :)

We are going on the same cruise but the opposite itinerary - Amsterdam to Basal. We are staying an extra day at the end and Avalon is transferring us to Zurich. Since we will only be there the one day, can anyone suggest something special for us to do? thanks so much for any help.

There is a church with "contemporary" glass windows by Marc Chagall that is outstanding as the colors are so gorgeous. It made a big impression on me. It's right near the river in downtown. Sorry I can't remember the name but I am sure someone on this board will know.

The sirport in Zurich was very convenient when we were there about eight years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Happycruizer, which cruise are you going on? We're doing Basel to Amsterdam in August too! We're coming in 4 days early and spending 2 nights in Lucerne and 2 nights in Basel. At the end we're staying 2 extra nights in Amsterdam.

There is a church with "contemporary" glass windows by Marc Chagall that is outstanding as the colors are so gorgeous. It made a big impression on me. It's right near the river in downtown. Sorry I can't remember the name but I am sure someone on this board will know.

The sirport in Zurich was very convenient when we were there about eight years ago.

Fraumünster - Zurich, Switzerland is the church you are referring to. It is worth a stop.:)

Archived