Crusing from NYC in April or May 2010- suggestions?

newman63

We've been on an NCL cruise once, departing from Miami, and there were only 12 or 14 gays on the ship.

Anyone have suggestions for choosing among Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and NCL for a NYC departure this Spring? Anyone planning to take one of these lines from NYC this April or May??

Steve

Hi there....My friend Curt and I are sailing May 2nd out of Bayonne on Celebrity Summit to Berumuda.

We really had not been thinking much about Bermuda, but it looks like Celebrity is having a hard time selling it, so the pricing is really GOOD! ($549 for insides; $749 for balconies)

Not sure how many gays will be onboard, but Celebrity usually has a pretty good contingency of gays. (If you look at our signature, you'll see like Celebrity).

Just thought I'd let you know...although, with you living in NY, you might want to take a cruise more south...to the Caribbean.

We will be on the Jewel leaving out of NYC on May 22. When we last sailed the Jewel (November 2007 out of Miami to the Western Caribbean), there were quite a number of others, both at the nightly gatherings of the 'Friends of Dorothy' and elsewhere around the ship.

We really enjoyed our last NCL experience, which is why we are back again and looking forward to the week.

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I are trying out the Carnival Miracle.

This will only be our second cruise but the interior decor looks cool and we think that there won't be so many kids as it's after public schools spring break. Plus, the price was right. They had a 6 category upgrade through vacations to go so we took it.

Anyone else cruising the Miracle at that time?

My aunt tells me that Princess and NCL are the most gay friendly out of NYC but I would think any line out of NYC would have quite a few FOD's.

The staff on my last cruise on NCL was gay friendly(in that we had no problems and had a blast with Candy one of the cruise directors), however I only spotted (1) older gay couple which my contact with them was nothing more than a Hello and a nice smile on the main deck. We didn't attend the nightly FOD gatherings that they had in our daily flyer left in our room so not sure if there were more gay couples there or not. We went out of Charleston to the Bahama's (the weather was perfect cool at night and hot enough to lay out but not too hot to be annoying) because again the price was right and because it was our first cruise we didn't want to invest a lot of money in a vacation we weren't sure we would enjoy. Plus we didn't know if we would get sea sick...Luckily our genetics must include sea legs. It was Easter break so a lot of families so we behaved ourselves.

Good luck with picking your cruise, but again (per my aunt who cruises like twice a year with her 6-figure salary...lucky b**ch), any cruise out of NYC should have a few friends to be found.

My BF is really not into dancing in clubs and I'm a big Junior Vasquez fan and followed him throughout the years...so they say Dr. Frank's Lab becomes more adult in the wee-hours of the morning so it would be nice if there was a FOD take over of the dancefloor late at night with maybe some new friends.

• 1 month later...

We just got back from Miracle went out on 4/29...We had a blast.

Not too many FOD's but everybody was cool out of NYC and we all had a great time. Our stops were PR, St. Thomas, & Grand Turks. We weren't crazy about PR but we didn't do an excursion...we just walked out to the Fort and took pic's. Def go for an excursion if you go to PR...You kind of got that shady dark alley feeling in parts of PR. Somebody asked us if we wanted drugs and there were some gang drawings on that street so we walked real fast and avoided confrontation. St. Thomas was beautiful. We caught a taxi to the shopping district then ended up walking around and did a tour that started at the old hotel and ended up at the top of the hill at blackbeards castle. Beautiful old houses and history. Then walked back to the ship and did some shopping along the way. Grand Turk was beautiful as well...Nice beach day. Do yourself a favor though...A Carona was close to $10 each inside Margaritaville but if you walk down from it to the left, they're only $4.

Hope you have fun what ever you decided to pick.

We just got back from Miracle went out on 4/29...We had a blast.

Not too many FOD's but everybody was cool out of NYC and we all had a great time. Our stops were PR, St. Thomas, & Grand Turks. We weren't crazy about PR but we didn't do an excursion...we just walked out to the Fort and took pic's. Def go for an excursion if you go to PR...You kind of got that shady dark alley feeling in parts of PR. Somebody asked us if we wanted drugs and there were some gang drawings on that street so we walked real fast and avoided confrontation. St. Thomas was beautiful. We caught a taxi to the shopping district then ended up walking around and did a tour that started at the old hotel and ended up at the top of the hill at blackbeards castle. Beautiful old houses and history. Then walked back to the ship and did some shopping along the way. Grand Turk was beautiful as well...Nice beach day. Do yourself a favor though...A Carona was close to $10 each inside Margaritaville but if you walk down from it to the left, they're only $4.

Hope you have fun what ever you decided to pick.

Guys we are still not sure what to do in Grand Turk. I have been told to rent a golf cart and move around the island. We are not big drinkers of alcohol so Margaritville may be over rated for us. We will have our two 10 year old sons with us. Any suggestions?

Stefen & Steve

Nashville, TN

• 4 weeks later...

Archived